Take your Va CCW class in your own time.

S&WM&P40

I found this site tonight when looking around youtube. It lets you take the VA CCW class in your own time.

Concealed Handgun Permit Firearms Safety ClassThe Concealed Carry Institute

FINALLY! A fact-filled Firearms Safety Class that meets the requirements of Virginia law to qualify you for obtaining a Resident or Non-Resident Concealed Handgun Permit. Unlike other classes, this one is taught in one session over the Internet. It is now possible to learn firearms safety from the comfort of your home or office, in just over an hour.

This class consists of watching a one hour presentation of our time-tested instruction through streaming video. Following that, you are tested on what you have learned with a 20 question True/False, Multiple Choice and Fill-In-The-Blank test. All that is necessary to take this fast-paced class is your willingness to devote an hour to learn, a computer with Internet connection, and a printer. It’s that simple! After the successful completion of the test, you will be prompted to print your Certificate of Completion.

With a copy of your certificate and an application (available on this website) in hand, you are ready to head to your local circuit court clerk’s office to formally apply for your Resident Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit! Click here to obtain a Non-Resident permit application packet from the Virginia State Police website.

Important Notice: As of February 4th, 2009, the circuit courts of Albemarle and Pittsylvania Counties and the Cities of Newport News and Suffolk are not accepting applications using our certificate for qualification. Legal steps are being taken to bring statewide acceptance to our class.

Here is the Website.
Concealed Handgun Permit Firearms Safety Class - The Concealed Carry Institute

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this site tonight when looking around youtube. It lets you take the VA CCW class in your own time.

Concealed Handgun Permit Firearms Safety ClassThe Concealed Carry Institute

FINALLY! A fact-filled Firearms Safety Class that meets the requirements of Virginia law to qualify you for obtaining a Resident or Non-Resident Concealed Handgun Permit. Unlike other classes, this one is taught in one session over the Internet. It is now possible to learn firearms safety from the comfort of your home or office, in just over an hour.

This class consists of watching a one hour presentation of our time-tested instruction through streaming video. Following that, you are tested on what you have learned with a 20 question True/False, Multiple Choice and Fill-In-The-Blank test. All that is necessary to take this fast-paced class is your willingness to devote an hour to learn, a computer with Internet connection, and a printer. It’s that simple! After the successful completion of the test, you will be prompted to print your Certificate of Completion.

With a copy of your certificate and an application (available on this website) in hand, you are ready to head to your local circuit court clerk’s office to formally apply for your Resident Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit! Click here to obtain a Non-Resident permit application packet from the Virginia State Police website.

Important Notice: As of February 4th, 2009, the circuit courts of Albemarle and Pittsylvania Counties and the Cities of Newport News and Suffolk are not accepting applications using our certificate for qualification. Legal steps are being taken to bring statewide acceptance to our class.

Here is the Website.
Concealed Handgun Permit Firearms Safety Class - The Concealed Carry Institute

I can see where you would learn. 1 hour watching your computer and you are an expert and able to carry a gun -- right -- I don't think so...

I can see where you would learn. 1 hour watching your computer and you are an expert and able to carry a gun -- right -- I don't think so...

Why should you have to even take a test to utilize a right guaranteed by the Constitution?

I basically feel that in an IDEAL world people who carry a concealed handgun should receive in class training with live-fire at a range....BUT....let's face it we don't live in an ideal world!

As far as tests go...when you attend an NRA Basic Pistol Course you're required to complete a test...it's not a pass/fail thing but more to see if anything sunk into the brains of those attending.

The 1 hour video course doesn't leave you with anything you can refer to in the future HOWEVER there is another option out now where you complete a home study course that uses NRA Pistol Student manuals and information and YES there is a final test! You can check it out at Welcome!

I personnally feel that turning anyone loose in public with a concealed handgun without some sort of training is a recipe for disaster!!!

I basically feel that in an IDEAL world people who carry a concealed handgun should receive in class training with live-fire at a range....BUT....let's face it we don't live in an ideal world!

As far as tests go...when you attend an NRA Basic Pistol Course you're required to complete a test...it's not a pass/fail thing but more to see if anything sunk into the brains of those attending.

The 1 hour video course doesn't leave you with anything you can refer to in the future HOWEVER there is another option out now where you complete a home study course that uses NRA Pistol Student manuals and information and YES there is a final test! You can check it out at Welcome!

I personnally feel that turning anyone loose in public with a concealed handgun without some sort of training is a recipe for disaster!!!
emphasis added

While that sounds logical, it isn't upheld by the facts. Take a look at those states with "shall issue" laws and no training required. There is no disaster. Heck, I don't think there is any discernible difference between states requiring training and those not requiring training of any kind.

maybejim...I guess we gotta just agree to disagree lol
I'm a gun dealer who works with people everyday on choosing a handgun for self defense. If you saw what I did on a daily basis and the TOTAL lack of knowledge on handguns it may change your mind some.

"Shall Issue" does not necessarily refer to training, in most cases it refers to if you have to "show cause" for a CCW such as I carry large sums of money, I've received death threats etc. The state of subject for this thread VIRGINIA is a "shall issue" state and they DO require proof of training for a CCW unless you are prior military, law enforcement etc.

I'm a gun dealer who works with people everyday on choosing a handgun for self defense. If you saw what I did on a daily basis and the TOTAL lack of knowledge on handguns it may change your mind some.

"Shall Issue" does not necessarily refer to training, in most cases it refers to if you have to "show cause" for a CCW such as I carry large sums of money, I've received death threats etc. The state of subject for this thread VIRGINIA is a "shall issue" state and they DO require proof of training for a CCW unless you are prior military, law enforcement etc.
Allow me to clarify Jim's point... The "Shall Issue" part isn't the issue. It's that there are states that do not require any training, and statistically have no more problems than the states that do require it. Plus, you have Alaska and Vermont which don't even require a permit. If a lack of training would be disastrous, not requiring a permit at all would be an all out war zone. Neither seems to be the case.

OK...my fault LOL I'm not clear enough either I guesss :-( By disaterous...should said not for a state as a whole but for the individual carrying the gun without some training or experience OR for those around them in public with them carrying a gun.

Don't want to see them be injured or killed by lack of knowledge, nor do I!

I'm not in any way knocking states with no training requirements, its our right to carry, but I've learned through the years that there are those individuals who may not take the initiative to learn about their gun, to learn safety, to learn the laws, and to develop some sort of proficiency with their gun before carrying it in public around others....including you and I.

The stress of a self defense encounter can make even accomplished shooters to crazy things, so would it be even worse for those with NO type of self-imposed learning/training, or some basic training? Who knows?

Again, I'm not attacking our constitutional rights in any way, just trying to apply a little common sense that an individual with no experience or training using a handgun to carry one in public COULD be disasterous for THEM or an innocent bystander

+1 with you Wizard.

I'll support the individual's 2-A right to carry open or concealed all day every day. But I'll strongly encourage responsible gun ownership should also include training.

Personally, I'm more concerned about well-meaning, good-intentioned "good guys" with guns that don't have a clue, than I am about any "bad guy" with the SAME lack of training. Apart from paying taxes and being law-abiding, TRAINING should separate us good guys from those BGs, and help ensure we don't finish a gun fight in second place. IMHO.

I have no doubt that you see people who mishandle handguns. I also have no doubt that the actual facts are government mandated training makes no difference in the overall statistics concerning those with CCW's. I have a carry permit from Kalifornia which requires all kinds of training (over 20 hours if I remember right to begin with and 4 hours every 2 years when you renew). I also have a carry permit from Idaho who require no training (though the local sheriff's are recommending it) and from Utah which requires something like 6 hours. There simply isn't any statistical difference between the results of those with CCW's between the states.

I am not saying training is a bad thing, only that "government mandated" anything is generally a bad thing particularly when it can put limits on our rights.

I too would say that anyone who wants training should by all means seek it. But to require training for a permit just adds insult to the injury of even requiring a permit to begin with.

To that end, if there is a more convenient and less costly way to obtain the necessary "training" for a VA permit, I'm all for it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back