Might be there soon…

TAC

I have just received a job offer in Anacortes (about half way between Seattle and Victoria, B.C.) and have a couple of questions.

First, does anybody know of any good places to shoot?

Second, should I get my CCW permit as a non-resident permit, or should I wait until I have fully relocated and have a Washington Drivers license? Is there any issue with changing from a non-resident permit to a resident permit? Do you just change you address, or do you have to go thru the entire process all over again?

Third, I have read that you can submit your application thru either the Chief of Police or the County Sheriff. Is the option your choice, or can you submit to the County Sheriff only of you do not have a Police Chief to submit it to? My concern is that in such a small town I know that the Police Dept has very strong and personal ties throughout the community and I would prefer that me having a permit does not become general knowledge.

Any general information you could give on the area would be a great help. I am planning on renting until my current home sells, this will help with expenses as well as giving me time to get to know the area sn decide where I do, and do not, want to live.

Thanks.

I have just received a job offer in Anacortes (about half way between Seattle and Victoria, B.C.) and have a couple of questions.

Second, should I get my CCW permit as a non-resident permit, or should I wait until I have fully relocated and have a Washington Drivers license? Is there any issue with changing from a non-resident permit to a resident permit? Do you just change you address, or do you have to go thru the entire process all over again?

Third, I have read that you can submit your application thru either the Chief of Police or the County Sheriff. Is the option your choice, or can you submit to the County Sheriff only of you do not have a Police Chief to submit it to? My concern is that in such a small town I know that the Police Dept has very strong and personal ties throughout the community and I would prefer that me having a permit does not become general knowledge.

Any general information you could give on the area would be a great help. I am planning on renting until my current home sells, this will help with expenses as well as giving me time to get to know the area sn decide where I do, and do not, want to live.

Thanks.

Don't know of any good places to shoot around Anacortes. Sorry, can't help you there.

Resident/non-resident permit. Does not matter for the first 90 days anyway. With no WA identification or with WA identification that is less than 90 days old the wait is up to 60 days either way. There is no difference in the permit itself, just the wait to get the permit.

You do not have to go to the police department, the Sheriff in the county you reside in is also an option. If you live in an incorporated town, the police department is just an option.

Check out the Washington section of opencarry.org - there is a lot of info there.

If you are still active duty it is really easy to get a CCL. I was stationed in Everett and am a resident of South Carolina, i went to the police office downtown and paid 60 bucks and filled out all the paperwork, got finger printed and turned in my application. This was on a Monday. On Friday my CCL arrived in my mailbox. It is super easy for military to get one there.

As a non-resident it took me about 3 weeks to receive my permit from the Spokane Police Dept so it shouldn't be long whether you have local ID or not.

Check in and ask on the WA-CCW list.
wa-ccw : Washington State Concealed Weapons Discussion

Are you here now? If not, when do you arrive?

I ask because if you're already here, you can go ahead and apply. However, they have up to 60 days to issue if you have not been a resident of the state for the previous 90 consecutive days. If you apply today, and the job starts Monday, you probably don't want them to mail the license to your old address in your previous state of residence.

There's no difference between a resident or non-resident license. However, if you apply as a non-resident, when your address changes it's a good idea to send a letter to the Firearms Section of DOL notifying them of your address change. The Driver's License database and the Concealed Pistol License database are two different databases.

You always have the option of applying to the County Sheriff's office as there does not appear to be any requirement that a resident of an incorporated city must apply to their Chief of Police.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back