Beam Me Up

HK4U

Beam me up Scotty there is no intelligent life down here!

> U.S.
San Francisco Trades Guns for Gift Cards

Sunday, December 02, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO — A man carrying a semiautomatic handgun approached a group of San Francisco police officers Saturday afternoon and, with a smile, handed over the pistol in exchange for $150 in gift cards.

"I used to fire it at bottles or do some plinking in the woods," said the gun's owner, 48-year-old Bruce Bourne. "But I have a 6-year-old daughter now and my wife was uncomfortable with it being in the house."

For a few hours on a sunny yet brisk Saturday, San Francisco police officers accepted 100 guns from about 80 people in the city's second "Gifts for Guns" event. The first event in July brought in 117 handguns and 2 shotguns.

The idea is to make the streets seem a little safer when the city's murder rate has risen in recent years — San Francisco has had at least 89 homicides so far this year.

Among the 100 guns collected Saturday were 4 assault rifles and two sawed-off shotguns, said Mikail Ali, director of the mayor's office of criminal justice.

As Ali discussed the city's efforts to curb violence another man walked up with a large, black gun case. He took out a black assault rifle with a folding stock and pistol grip and turned it in.

"Twenty years ago you could buy a gun like that legally in California. Some were registered properly, some weren't," Ali said.

California law makes owning an assault weapon illegal, but Gifts for Guns allows people to turn in their firearms without showing identification, and officials promise not to ask any questions about the guns' origins.

Once in police custody the guns are checked with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to see if they were stolen. Ali said 99 percent of the guns recovered are destroyed and, if the guns were stolen, they are returned to their owners if possible.

Participants received $100 gift cards for rifles or shotguns, $150 cards for revolvers or semiautomatic pistols and $200 cards for assault-type weapons like AK-47s.

But not everyone participating in the gun program Saturday believed it was helpful.

Peter Buxtun, a 70-year-old gun advocate, turned in two pistols Saturday that he said were worthless. He collected $300 in gift cards.

"You can buy junk guns for $10 and then use the gift cards to buy new guns," he said. "I saw a half-dozen uniformed SF police officers taken off the street to sit for hours in a City Hall photo-op, instead of patrolling certain drug-ridden and gang-infested neighborhoods."

I love this part:

"The idea is to make the streets seem a little safer when the city's murder rate has risen in recent years — San Francisco has had at least 89 homicides so far this year."

The idea is to make the streets SEEM a little safer.... LOL so true! Doesn’t make it safer just make people feel good!

Also they say if the gun is stolen then it is returned to the owner and the others are destroyed. Then it said that 99% of the guns are destroyed. So then it’s probably safe to say that 99% of the guns turned in were legally obtained guns that were never used in any type of crime, right?

Oh and I think this would make the best motto for all gun buy back programs!

"Peter Buxtun, a 70-year-old gun advocate, turned in two pistols Saturday that he said were worthless. He collected $300 in gift cards."

Gifts for Guns allows people to turn in their firearms without showing identification, and officials promise not to ask any questions about the guns' origins.
Which, of course, is a perfect way for a BG to dump a "hot piece" and get his ass completely off the hook with no questions asked, and pick up a few bucks in the process!! What a freaking bottomlessly asinine project!

I also thought this stood out (seem a little safer). I can understand why someone with a wife and kid would feel uncomfortable having a gun around. You know that's the biggest threat there is to a family out there :mad:

Last edited:
Danger! Danger! Danger!

I also though this stood out seem a little safer. I can understand why someone with a wife and kid would feel uncomfortable having a gun around. You know that's the biggest threat there is to a family out there :mad:

Swimming pools are much more of a danger than firearms to a family with children, but I do not see anyone in California talking about getting rid of thier pool for the safety of the children.:rolleyes:

If they ever start such a program in my state, I'll buy all the junk guns I can get for $ 10 and trade them in for a $ 150 gift certificate.

OH Two stories!!

A couple of years back when a "Gun Buy Back Program" was set up. An savvy collector set himself up on the public land adjoining the place people were to go too for the "buy back".
He then proceeded to flag every one that had a firearm that looked to be more valuable than the 100-150 dollar token the local program was offering.
He payed in the 200-300 dollar range instead, and he actually got away with it for the first day and ended up with quite a few nice new guns for his troubles.
That is until they got smart to his high-jinks and shut him down.
He was doing nothing illegal it's just is the police did not like being upstaged.

Second story; this all reminds me of when the price of silver shot up and people turned in priceless antiques for the value of their silver bullion content, ignorant of the fact that they could put them up for auction and easily increased what they ended up with by a factor of at least 10.

Ignorance there is no medical cure.:(

Gun buy back

A couple of years back when a "Gun Buy Back Program" was set up. An savvy collector set himself up on the public land adjoining the place people were to go too for the "buy back".
He then proceeded to flag every one that had a firearm that looked to be more valuable than the 100-150 dollar token the local program was offering.
He payed in the 200-300 dollar range instead, and he actually got away with it for the first day and ended up with quite a few nice new guns for his troubles.
That is until they got smart to his high-jinks and shut him down.
He was doing nothing illegal it's just is the police did not like being upstaged.

Second story; this all reminds me of when the price of silver shot up and people turned in priceless antiques for the value of their silver bullion content, ignorant of the fact that they could put them up for auction and easily increased what they ended up with by a factor of at least 10.

Ignorance there is no medical cure.:([/QUO

Yep, I have often thought of starting my own buy back program.

I think it was Einstein who said, "the difference between ignorance and intelligence is that intelligence has no limits"

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back