Girlfriend's first trip to the range

srshadwi

Last weekend we packed up the range bag and headed over to a nice indoor shooting range. Admittedly I am not the best shooter or instructor, but I tried my best to show her the basics. We were using my Taurus 617 and loading it with .38 specials. I went over safety, handling, loading, unloading, aiming etc. I had her dry firing at a target at about 10 feet and then we went live.

I thought she would freak out after the first round went off, but all went well. She jumped a little and took her left hand off the weapon as she lowered it. After the second shot I got her to keep the weapon on target and we continued to fire one-at-a-time. Once she was fairly comfortable with the recoil we went to double taps. She quickly learned to get 2 kill-zone hits on the silhouette target at 10 feet. We worked on this for awhile then we went to emptying the 7-shot clip. I realize it was only 10 feet, but she did a great job. She went through about 175 rounds before I finished off the last box of ammo and we headed home.

My girlfriend said she had a great time. She feels very comfortable with the 7-shot revolver and feels like she could use it if she needed to. It stays loaded in the safe under the nightstand and now I don't worry about her when I'm out of town or working late (the dogs do a good job, too!). When we went shopping she really liked the Springfield XDm 9mm. I don't own any semi-autos and was planning on purchasing the XD .45 for my first, but I think I'll invest in the 9mm so we can both enjoy it. I'll just get the .45 later. :biggrin:

I have a great girlfriend!

Steve

Good for you! and I have been told to get an XD 9 also--I don' twant anything I cannot handle when I do get one.

Good for you! and I have been told to get an XD 9 also--I don' twant anything I cannot handle when I do get one.

Try shooting a .45 or a .40 before you assume its to much. My wife shoots my Glock 23 (.40) very well and has never mentioned issues around recoil. "Her" gun is a .38 revolver, not because of recoil but she struggles to operate the slide to clear the chamber.

My wife has shot the XDM 40 and likes it better than a .380 we have. The .40 is pretty comfy.

Getting an 9mm is still a great investment and will serve you both well. Partner that with good defensive ammo and y'all will be all set.

she struggles to operate the slide to clear the chamber.

My wife was at the gun store with me when I purchased my gun.. She tried several.. She has a plate in her right wrist from a Softball "accident" and has some trouble stroking most autos, but prefers autos..
The gun store salesman asked her to try a Bursa.. I believe it was a .45, (they did not have a 9mm in stock), she was able to stroke it with no problem.. So I would suggest having your GF try a Bursa if she struggles with the slide, she might like it!!!

My wife was at the gun store with me when I purchased my gun.. She tried several.. She has a plate in her right wrist from a Softball "accident" and has some trouble stroking most autos, but prefers autos..
The gun store salesman asked her to try a Bursa.. I believe it was a .45, (they did not have a 9mm in stock), she was able to stroke it with no problem.. So I would suggest having your GF try a Bursa if she struggles with the slide, she might like it!!!

I will take a look. I do like her with an revolver because its fairly easy to know "loaded" vs "unloaded." My fear is in a panic situation she would pull the trigger and no bang because she inserted the mag without racking the slide. While I know training fixes that the bullets + closed = bang is nice. I hope that makes sense...I was at a UFC party and had a few to drink. It was a long walk down the hall.

Do what you can to shoot one before you buy one. (XD9) Nice guns, but would you buy shoes on my say so? If a person buys a gun that doesn't feel right, they'll never shoot it enough to become proficient with it. If you're not gonna be proficient with it, get a ball bat.

Just my two cents.......

I live and teach in central Indiana, have my own range, and would be happy to host for a day to share guns, and thoughts. Between a few friends and I we could have you experience 30 or forty different handguns, some of which are here.......

Link Removed

I will take a look. I do like her with an revolver because its fairly easy to know "loaded" vs "unloaded." My fear is in a panic situation she would pull the trigger and no bang because she inserted the mag without racking the slide. While I know training fixes that the bullets + closed = bang is nice. I hope that makes sense...I was at a UFC party and had a few to drink. It was a long walk down the hall.

I don't know about how everyone else does it, but I plan to keep the XD in the safe under the nightstand with a full magazine and 1 in the chamber. I know, and my girlfriend knows, that if you take a gun out of that safe it is ready to go. The big difference I see with the pistol vs. revolver is the misfire issue. With the revolver she can just keep pulling the trigger. The safe holds two weapons easily. The revolver will be on the shelf below the XD so she can have that as a BUG.

Do what you can to shoot one before you buy one. (XD9) Nice guns, but would you buy shoes on my say so? If a person buys a gun that doesn't feel right, they'll never shoot it enough to become proficient with it. If you're not gonna be proficient with it, get a ball bat.

Just my two cents.......

I live and teach in central Indiana, have my own range, and would be happy to host for a day to share guns, and thoughts. Between a few friends and I we could have you experience 30 or forty different handguns, some of which are here.......

Link Removed

I appreciate the advice about having her "try-before-you-buy," but that is a little difficult in central Illinois. I haven't found a range that rents firearms. I'm not too worried about not liking the XD(m) and if she doesn't like it, we can try something else. I don't own a 9mm and, like many on this website, I plan to "invest" in a large variety of firearms because, let's face it, firearms are cool. I'm sure we'll eventually settle into a the "perfect" firearm if it isn't the XD. Having said that. . . Jay, how far is your range from Indianapolis? You can PM or email me if you prefer.

Steve

Don't rule out anything. I shoot a .380, a .45, a .9, , a 44, an AR 15, various other rifles, some shotguns and revolvers, grenades, claymores, and other things like tanks. I'm an average size woman. Don't let the recoil of anything scare your g/f off. It's just something to get used to.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back