Bullet from dropped gun hits woman in bathroom stall

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
A Tampa woman was shot in the leg this afternoon while sitting on the toilet in a hotel bathroom. Police said the woman in the next stall accidentally let her handgun slip out of her waist holster, and the weapon discharged when it hit the ground.

The bullet hit 53-year-old Janifer Bliss of Tampa in the lower left leg. She was taken to Tampa General Hospital with what police described as minor injuries.
The gun belonged to Debra Monce, 56, of Land O'Lakes. She has a concealed weapons permit for the small-caliber handgun, but the case has been referred to the State Attorney's Office for review.

The incident happened at the Clarion Hotel, 2701 E. Fowler Ave.

Source: Link Removed

I don't usually sit in a stall in public, carrying or not, but if I do I make sure I know where my gun is at all times.

I don't usually sit in a stall in public, carrying or not, but if I do I make sure I know where my gun is at all times.

+1. There is normally some ledge or something I can set it on. I'll remove the entire holstered gun, set it on the ledge, pointing in a safe direction, and do my business.

I wonder if she was caring one of the original LCPs? I know they had a problem with them going off if dropped.

+1. There is normally some ledge or something I can set it on. I'll remove the entire holstered gun, set it on the ledge, pointing in a safe direction, and do my business.

I wonder if she was caring one of the original LCPs? I know they had a problem with them going off if dropped.

I thought the same thing as I was reading this. Curious what it was.

Toilet rest

This is actually something I have thought about, while waiting for my CCW permit.. I carry around the house and ran into - Ahhhh What now???
Presently my preference is to drop (more like Place) the pistol in the crotch area of my pants... If there was a ledge, I would probably use it instead..
Anybody else have preferred ways of handling a gun in a stall??
Making sure the gun is non-viewable while you are "resting" would be high priority, I would think..

I'm interested in other peoples thoughts on this subject.. I presume everyone one out there "squats" from time to time..

We actually covered that in our conceal carry class about 3 mos ago. The instructor said to always pick a stall on the far end if possible and to remove your holster (or gun if on a belt) and place it between your legs on your pants. That way you know where it is, it doesn't fall out and most importantly, you don't leave it behind on shelf when you leave.

We actually covered that in our conceal carry class about 3 mos ago. The instructor said to always pick a stall on the far end if possible and to remove your holster (or gun if on a belt) and place it between your legs on your pants. That way you know where it is, it doesn't fall out and most importantly, you don't leave it behind on shelf when you leave.

My thoughts exactly...

You have to wonder what type of training this person received prior to getting her permit.

I've been through the Floriduh training.. It's a joke.. General parts of the gun.. Load a magazine, some general discussion.. a little about sight picture.. 15 rounds at the range and your good to go to the toilet.. Oh, yeah, after 4 months of waiting for your permit.. By then, you have forgotten whatever it is that they did teach you..

I've been through the Floriduh training.. It's a joke.. General parts of the gun.. Load a magazine, some general discussion.. a little about sight picture.. 15 rounds at the range and your good to go to the toilet.. Oh, yeah, after 4 months of waiting for your permit.. By then, you have forgotten whatever it is that they did teach you..

If you have forgitten what they taught you in four months then you don't need to be carrying a gun. If you got you permit immediately then six months later would you have fogotten what they taught you? Gun rules must be remembered whether on not you have a gun on your side. Sounds like an excuse for a ND to me.

If you have forgitten what they taught you in four months then you don't need to be carrying a gun. If you got you permit immediately then six months later would you have fogotten what they taught you? Gun rules must be remembered whether on not you have a gun on your side. Sounds like an excuse for a ND to me.

I wasn't so much speaking about myself, but assuming the lady in the story had little experience..

IF a person had ZERO experience with a gun, and took the class (there were a couple in my class) - then they have very little foundation to build on, and reference in their mind, and thus it would be hard to remember. Any study will show that you only remember about 15% of a presentation the next day, if you do not take notes and refresh your memory..

So if a new person takes the class.. waits 4 months for their permit, then goes and buys a gun, how much of the 15% do you think they remember for a class that discussed very little in the 1st place...

Oh sure, they gave you 5 minutes to ask any question you wanted to.. I think one question was asked.
A new person doesn't know what questions to ask.. Nothing was discussed like - where to put your gun while going to the bathroom, much less Self defense versus intervention..

Antis are going to have a field day with this one pointing that civilians "arn't smart enough to carry a gun" or some dumb crap like that. Wish the victim a speedy recovery. What a bad day.....shot while doing your business....man thats rough

My wife and I carry strong side IWB or OWB, depending on the day. When drawers are dropped, the belt is immediately refastened at the largest belt hole. The weapon is never removed, and with a good holster, there is almost no risk of it falling out. There is also no risk of forgetting it when you leave. Then all you have to worry about is sitting at the far end of the row, against a wall. If you were really paranoid of being seen, you could carry a handkerchief in your pocket, and cover-up the weapon when you drop drawers.

+1
Exactly the same advice given in my CCW training. Most important that you have "control" over the firearm at all times. Leaving it on the back of the toilet can be a real problem if you are somehow sidetracked and forget it. Just ask the ATF agent who left her duty pistol in the restroom at Mitchell Airport in Milwaukee a few years ago. If the pistol is between your legs in the webing of your shorts, no problem. I have no idea how a woman would deal with this...but would try to find a way.

Just my 2 cents.

+1
Exactly the same advice given in my CCW training. Most important that you have "control" over the firearm at all times. Leaving it on the back of the toilet can be a real problem if you are somehow sidetracked and forget it. Just ask the ATF agent who left her duty pistol in the restroom at Mitchell Airport in Milwaukee a few years ago. If the pistol is between your legs in the webing of your shorts, no problem. I have no idea how a woman would deal with this...but would try to find a way.

Just my 2 cents.

Watch out for the skid marks and don't get them on you gun. :laugh:

This is actually something I have thought about, while waiting for my CCW permit.. I carry around the house and ran into - Ahhhh What now???
Presently my preference is to drop (more like Place) the pistol in the crotch area of my pants... If there was a ledge, I would probably use it instead..
Anybody else have preferred ways of handling a gun in a stall??
Making sure the gun is non-viewable while you are "resting" would be high priority, I would think..

I'm interested in other peoples thoughts on this subject.. I presume everyone one out there "squats" from time to time..

Check out the Smart Carry. SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters With this holster, I just hike it up around my midsection while doing my business, seated and then move it to the right while standing. Problem solved. Also, I have become a big fan of IWB holsters with snap belt loops or steel clip. Gun never leaves holster and it's easy on, easy off. With this type of holster, it's easy to rest it on a ledge or down inside my pants near the floor. When it comes to where I go to the boys room.....I usually try to pick one that's a one seater....Mobil gas stations are very clean and ususally a one stall operation.

...the belt is immediately refastened at the largest belt hole. The weapon is never removed, and with a good holster, there is almost no risk of it falling out. There is also no risk of forgetting it when you leave ...

this is what i've adopted as well.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back