Carrying Firearms across states

lasersights

LaserSights
If I have a permit in Colorado. It is honored in most states I travel through on a trip to PA where we have friends and property.

But Ohio does not honor the permit and Illinois does not allow.

Is it illegal for me to carry my pistol(s) with me when I make this trip?

Or do I just have to lock the gun in the trunk or something else in the non permit and not allowed states?

I am interested in the reply to this... my husband and are are driving from Ohio to Colorado with a return trip through Chicago. I know that Colorado doesn't accept Ohio's concealed carry permit and there is the issue with Illinois. We're not sure how to transport our guns in Colorado and Illinois.

I am new to this organization and to on-line forums, discussions, blogs, etc. If my contribution is inappropriate for the site, I apologize.

Best thing to do is to get a good car safe, and lock it up when you have to. Better safe than sorry, as they say.

(IANAL, YMMV, etc)

18 USC 926a:

Link Removed

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Once you get to your destination, you will have to transport/carry according to that state's law.

For illinois residents with a firearm owner identification (FOID) card guns can be transported unloaded in a case. Ammo may be in the case with the firearm as long as the weapon is unloaded. For non-residents without a FOID card they recommend the gun be in a case without ammo and the gun broken down. Legally I think a Non-resident can transport guns through the state in the same manner of as a resident with a FOID card, but I don't know for sure. I am not a lawyer so you should double check this yourself, but a broken down weapon in a case, unloaded away from ammo is the safest way to travel.

Remember, handguns are ILLEGAL in Chicago and Oak Park and perhaps some other suburbs. No matter how you transprt weapons through those areas, you may get in trouble. Don't you love it?!?

Two years left before I get to leave this state. I can't wait.

Steve

As far as CO is concerned, it is legal to open carry in most places, but I don't see too many people do it. In the vehicle it is legall to have a loaded pistol, concealed or unconcealed, with or without a permit. Rifles and shotguns must have an empty chamber, but may have a full magazine. If you leave your vehicle, you may open carry in most towns and cities, Except Denver. I would check with the local LE agency and confirm leagality and restrictions on open carry, at your final destination.

But as far as driving through CO you are fine with your pistol in your vehicle.

Semper Fi

If I have a permit in Colorado. It is honored in most states I travel through on a trip to PA where we have friends and property.

Or do I just have to lock the gun in the trunk or something else in the non permit and not allowed states?
In Ohio, you may keep the firearm in the cab in plain view, unloaded, with the action open. "Unloaded " is defined as no ammo present in the chamber or in any attached or detached magazine. Since that pretty much renders the firearm useless, you might just as well prefer to keep it unloaded in its case in the trunk.

As for Illinois, again the firearm must be unloaded, cased, and stowed in the trunk with the ammo kept seperate from the firearm.

I am interested in the reply to this... my husband and are are driving from Ohio to Colorado with a return trip through Chicago. I know that Colorado doesn't accept Ohio's concealed carry permit and there is the issue with Illinois. We're not sure how to transport our guns in Colorado and Illinois.

I am new to this organization and to on-line forums, discussions, blogs, etc. If my contribution is inappropriate for the site, I apologize.
If you are passing through Chicago without stopping, you may do so under the McClure-Volkmer Act (as noted above by Navy LT). However, if you are planning on stopping in Chicago, you MAY NOT bring your firearm within the city, as well as a few of the suburbs.

Thanks to all who responded. The information was most helpful. The laws are so varied across the country and I don't want to end up in jail or fined because I choose to own a gun. I am new to shooting and concealed carry. My husband and I are not hunters, but have purchased guns for self protection. Due to the changing social, economic and political situation in our once-great country we want to be prepared to defend our home and our lives. I pray to God that we never need to use them. God Bless all of you and God Bless AMERICA!

This is a wonderful organization!

This is disturbing news. So I'll be driving from Ohio to Chicago in February for a four-night stay. I either have to drive across state lines at night and stay in a big city without my god-given right to carry, or else risk becoming a felon for exercising my rights...

The McClure-Volkmer Act IS what makes it legal to transport your gun through a state that you do not have permission to possess. The interesting thing is that when I have read the laws for transporting in those states that most people here refer to as "the peoples republic of" such as New Jersey and especially New York that they say the McClure-Volkmer Act will be a defense!
This leads me to believe that even if you follow the law to a "T" that if, say you are found to be transporting through NY that there is still a very good chance that you will be arrested for possession without a permit if for some reason they find you are transporting a gun. Then when you come to court you can defend yourself with the McClure-Volkmer Act.
You can try to explain that law to the arresting officer but how many do you think in NJ NY Mass etc actually know what the Federal McClure-Volkmer actually is.
Be prepared and forewarned. I will travel through NY with my gun locked in the trunk and ammo separate. I will not stop int the state overnight or to even eat. No speeding either. Fully aware that if for some reason they found out that I was transporting that there is a better then even chance or a probability I would be arrested. Hmmm, something wrong with this picture?:wacko:

if only all the lawful gun owners would get rid of all their guns im sure the bad guys would turn in theirs and we would all sit around a campfire roasting marshmellows and singing. opps i just woke up in the real world, and no marshmellows tonite. when states and localities ignore the law as passed by congress and sighned into law by the president they are breaking the law. the constution clearly states that the constitution and all laws passed by the federal government shall be the supreme law of the land. i guess that in illinois and other places they think that they are above the law of the land.

sounds like you make this trip regularly? While it wont help with IL, if you get an Arizona permit, you will be covered for the whole trip except IL. For IL, unload it, put it in trunk, and don't stop.

McClure-Voldekmer Act is also known as "Safe Journey Act" and is a Federal Law. As long as you are passing through the State, your gun can can be locked in the car's trunk and not accessible. Chicago, that is a whole different story
In Ohio, you may keep the firearm in the cab in plain view, unloaded, with the action open. "Unloaded " is defined as no ammo present in the chamber or in any attached or detached magazine. Since that pretty much renders the firearm useless, you might just as well prefer to keep it unloaded in its case in the trunk.

As for Illinois, again the firearm must be unloaded, cased, and stowed in the trunk with the ammo kept seperate from the firearm.

If you are passing through Chicago without stopping, you may do so under the McClure-Volkmer Act (as noted above by Navy LT). However, if you are planning on stopping in Chicago, you MAY NOT bring your firearm within the city, as well as a few of the suburbs.

A prudent warning, you need to be careful not to drive within 1000 feet of any K-12 school while traveling armed outside of the State that physically issued your permit. This is a federal felony under the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act of 1995, which does not allow someone to carry under state reciprocity agreements. As it's nearly impossible to avoid these school zones in populated areas, I would suggest carrying your firearm unloaded and in a locked box. Violation subjects you to five years in federal prison.

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/poli...ently-banned-under-federal-law-important.html

Time out

18 USC 926a:

Link Removed

Once you get to your destination, you will have to transport/carry according to that state's law.

Does this mean that I can expect a criminal to honor my call of a time out while I get my gun from the safe, get in the trunk for the ammo and then load up? May as well carry a rock. Or are they regulated also. Settle for no less than the 2A!!!!!

Major Beau

My solution to the problem of transporting weapons across state lines is: Check and see which states honor Florida's CCW and any state that does not honor it I stay away from regardless of my travel plans.

not only do we(gun owners) need to let the gun-unfriendly states know why we will be avoiding them we also need to tell the gun-friendly states why we travel there. as the old saying goes " what goes around comes around".

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back