Savage build

Hey guys,

So I have been thinking about building a nice long range shooting (tactical looking type of rifle). Doesn't have to be anything super high end. I do like what I hear about the savage's. Any recommendations on which one? I also don't know much about optics. I don't want to drop insane amount of money on the scope. For now, I am basically looking to start building. Any ideas?

-Capo-

Savage 10 FP tactical

Get a savage 10 FP tactical (600-800) bucks and a Bushnell 10x42 (199 bucks)

Out the door price...

less than 1000 clams for a tack driving rifle!

Get a savage 10 FP tactical (600-800) bucks and a Bushnell 10x42 (199 bucks)

Out the door price...

less than 1000 clams for a tack driving rifle!

thanks for the info! I just looked at it, looks nice and has great reviews online. I guess you can't beat savage. The scope is what is gonna take me a while to figure out.

Ya I'm happy with my Savage 10fp heavy barrel .308 so far. I did have a small head space issue but a quick trip back to the factory seems to have fixed the issue. The adjustable Accutrigger is a nice crisp trigger and it seems to shoot well out of the box. I topped mine with a Bushnell Elite 4200 probably would have gone with the tactical model now but both seem to be nice glass. I have some handloads worked up just have not had a chance to take it to the range yet.

Only real down side is there is not as many after market parts for the savage as there is for the Remington 700.

I paid:
$519 for the rifle new
$520 for the glass
$70 for the bipod
$100 for the one piece 20 MOA base (added since this pic)
$60 for the rings.
--------------------
$1269 - not a bad setup for under $1300

Here she is:

HPIM0508.jpg

Here is a 100yrd 5 shot groups I shot with it the first day out. (Factory ammo)

DSC01751.jpg

Here is a 200yrd 5 shot group I shot about a month later. (factory ammo) The three tight shots were my first 3 the the upper right was my 4th. (think that was just a flier) and the last was the bottom left. (I flinched on that shot)

HPIM0511.jpg

Here is a 100yrd 5 shot groups I shot with it the first day out. (Factory ammo)

DSC01751.jpg

Here is a 200yrd 5 shot group I shot about a month later. (factory ammo) The three tight shots were my first 3 the the upper right was my 4th. (think that was just a flier) and the last was the bottom left. (I flinched on that shot)

HPIM0511.jpg

Very Nice! I think I am going to do something similar. I like the scope on yours and I love the way it looks. I probably will do something like this. I want a savage because I think they are awesome right out of the box.

I'm really happy with Bushnell’s Elite series scopes. Glass is very clear. I compared it to a $1500 Leopold and the Leopold was a little bit clearer but not much. Mine has the target turrets with 1/8" MOA adjustments and around 45 MOA of total internal elevation adjustment. My buddy has the Elite 3200 tactical series and like it also. It's 1/4" MOA adjustment with the bigger tactical turrets.

I'm really happy with Bushnell’s Elite series scopes. Glass is very clear. I compared it to a $1500 Leopold and the Leopold was a little bit clearer but not much. Mine has the target turrets with 1/8" MOA adjustments and around 45 MOA of total internal elevation adjustment. My buddy has the Elite 3200 tactical series and like it also. It's 1/4" MOA adjustment with the bigger tactical turrets.

Thanks for your input on it. I think I am probably going to go with something like this. I have been looking into the tactical and really like it. I think that might be the one. Not sure yet though. Its going to be a little bit before I can even get the money to do all this. So I got time.

I paid $514, including shipping for my Savage 10FLP. I have a Ken Farrel 20moa base that cost $100 and Burris XTR rings, which cost $55. My scope is a Super Sniper 10x42, which goes for $300.

In the end, I have a 1/2moa rifle that's very reliable for just under $1000.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back