SC Homeowner shot intruder, police say

HOLLY HILL – L. Glenn Littlejohn, 71, of 1244 Peake St. interrupted the suspect, Roosevelt Elmore Jr., at around 4:55 a.m. as Elmore stood in the doorway of Littlejohn’s home, according to police. Holly Hill Police Chief Robert Wunderlich said an unarmed Elmore allegedly forced his way though a doorway into the kitchen of the victim’s home.

Littlejohn, after being awakened by home alarm, “grabbed his shotgun, went out the back door and went around to the side of the house where the suspect made entrance and confronted the suspect in the doorway,” Wunderlich said.

He said Littlejohn shot Elmore in his right shoulder with a 12-gauge shotgun. The wounded Elmore fled the scene, and Littlejohn called 911, the chief said. Elmore was apprehended 300 yards from Littlejohn's house moments later.

Emergency crews responded and transported Elmore by helicopter to the Medical University of South Carolina, where he underwent surgery on his shoulder, Wunderlich said. He said Elmore’s injuries didn’t appear to be life-threatening.

Elmore was charged with felony first degree burglary, Wunderlich said. If convicted, he could face from 15 years to life in prison, the police chief said.

Wunderlich said Elmore is also a “person of interest” in three previous reported burglaries at Littlejohn’s home in recent months – on Dec. 24, 2008, March 5 and April 10. Wunderlich said Elmore’s criminal rap sheet is lengthy, including convictions for assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature, burglary and forgery. (Link Removed)

Littlejohn had been robbed three times prior to this incident — I wonder if the shotgun was a recent purchase?

This seems a pretty open and shut case. I guess the only uncertainty is whether or not Elmore was responsible in any part for the prior three burglaries. If Elmore is found guilty, he should not only serve jail time, he should also be required to pay Littlejohn back for the expense of the shotgun shell used... as well as any damages done to Littlejohn's home. Additionally, he should be responsible for the cost of the life-flight, surgery and hospital bills.

Well, I'm hoping Elmore will have some recovery time (which is a blessing for him, as he SHOULD be dead in two distinct halves) to reconsider his career choice.

I'm sure the gov't has a position for a criminal with a history of stealing from the public.... :yu:

Littlejohn should post that cool new sign, "Nothing inside is worth dying for" in front and behind his house...

I guess Littlejohn finally decided that enough was enough and sure enough, the shotgun came in handy for him. By shooting Elmore, not only has he protected himself, but all the other people whose homes would have been burglarized had this not happened.

Make a case against Mr. Littlejohn?

HOLLY HILL – L. Glenn Littlejohn, 71, of 1244 Peake St. interrupted the suspect, Roosevelt Elmore Jr., at around 4:55 a.m. as Elmore stood in the doorway of Littlejohn’s home, according to police. Holly Hill Police Chief Robert Wunderlich said an unarmed Elmore allegedly forced his way though a doorway into the kitchen of the victim’s home.

Littlejohn, after being awakened by home alarm, “grabbed his shotgun, went out the back door and went around to the side of the house where the suspect made entrance and confronted the suspect in the doorway,” Wunderlich said....

My concern is that Mr. Littlejohn went outside the house and around to the side to confront the burglar. Could he be charged with assault? He was outside the house, away from danger, but then he went to the door being broken into - he went looking for the guy rather than staying out of danger. It seems to me that a case could be made against him.

My concern is that Mr. Littlejohn went outside the house and around to the side to confront the burglar. Could he be charged with assault? He was outside the house, away from danger, but then he went to the door being broken into - he went looking for the guy rather than staying out of danger. It seems to me that a case could be made against him.

Castle Doctrine in SC not ilegal at all.

I live in a suburb of Charleston, about 20 minutes from Holly Hill. That town is fairly small and rural.

What I don't understand is that "Elmore was apprehended 300 yards from Littlejohn's house moments later" at 4:55am. Either the cop happened to be very near the street or Wunderlich called 911, then went outside, circled the house, and shot the intruder. But the story says he called 911 after he shot him. Perhaps Elmore collapsed from the sight of his blood and "moments" to the author of the story = 10 minutes.

And actually, we are a "stand your ground" state, which is a little better than castle doctrine. Either way, if I come home from work and someone is in my house illegally, I can shoot him. There may be an argument against me if the BG runs out of my house and I shoot him in the street. Castle doctrine runs out when the BG leaves your "castle".

I suppose I understand this line of reasoning, however, let's remember that this is Mr. Littlejohn's home, and he has a right to be there, whether a burglar is inside or not. The burglar is the one who doesn't have the right to be there, so he deserved what he got.

Littlejohn, after being awakened by home alarm, “grabbed his shotgun, went out the back door and went around to the side of the house where the suspect made entrance and confronted the suspect in the doorway,” Wunderlich said....

I suppose I understand this line of reasoning, however, let's remember that this is Mr. Littlejohn's home, and he has a right to be there, whether a burglar is inside or not. The burglar is the one who doesn't have the right to be there, so he deserved what he got.

I agree. I feel a person should have the right to defend his home no matter what. Hey, if worse came to worse, Littlejohn could have just dragged him inside if he didn't run away. :biggrin:

Mr. Littlejohn lost some very valuable items during this period of theft by persons unknown. He sought help from the police time and again, and nothing was done to help. So he set himself up an alarm system that would only sound off in his bedroom. Mr. Littlejohn was a man who had advanced COPD and was on oxygen. The suspect injured Mr. Littlejohn slightly but not enough to require medical attention. On this particular morning, when he got out of bed and grabbed the shotgun he had reached a point that if the police could do nothing to protect Holly Hill citizens, then he himself would at least protect himself and his beloved dog. There would be a lot less robberies in Holly Hill if everyone tried to protect themselves like he did. The police are ineffectual in Holly Hill.

Let me clarify - the police did not apprehend Mr. ELmore "moments later". Mr. Elmore traveled across Mr. Littlejohn's lawn, through a park, across the lawn of Mr. Littlejohn's business, across a street and another yard, then made a left onto another street, went about 100 feet or more then made a right onto another street, running another block down that street and finally stopping on the front porch of a house that had it's front porch light on. When the man answered the door, Elmore told him he needed help and the man got him a glass of water and called 911. Maybe the police responded "moments later" after the man called 911 because Mr. Littlejohn had called 911 5-10 minutes earlier. The police in HH are SLOW to respond, and the police chief never made an attempt to visit or call Mr. Littlejohn. Sorry to be so verbose, but I was Mr. Littlejohn's friend and when he passed away on April 26, 2011, we lost a great citizen and proponent of the right to carry arms.

I rechecked and the incident happened in 2009 so that clears up my confusion. I am sorry to hear about the passing of Mr. Littlejohn. Thank you for letting us know.

Hey General Sumter: If the breakin happened at night and you chase the perp and tell him to stand still and stop running, there is a citizen's arrest code of law that allows you to stop someone from evading your citizen's arrest during the course of some kind of presumed felony by any means including death of the perp. Bottom Line: It is very unhealthy to be a home thief in SC. Enter someone's property and beware. The perp's family might tell you "he was a good boy" but the solicitor will tell you "thank you".

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back