a little help

stumpjumper101

I put a scope on my sig 556 and went to the range this morning to zero it. well to make a long story short i ran out of elevation and im still 2 inches low at 100 yds. now my instincts tell me that the design of this rifle has a lot to do with it being the barrel is 2 to 2.5 inches below the cross hare's i have room to use 1/4 inch lower scope rings. which i do believe would bring my cross hares down resulting in the elevation of my point of impact? i didnt try to shoot at 150 or 200 but for some reason i think it will be way high. anyone have any sugestions, am i on the right track with my next move of remounting the scope with lower scope rings?

it shot decent groups with the cheap 55 grain reloads i was putting through it. the barell has a 1:7 twist so i have some 77 grain hornady match hollow points im gonna load up for it and see what it is really capable of.

Scope rings, unless they are extremely high, shouldn't be a problem. Did you install the rings and scope yourself? Look at the rings and if they touch you may have overtightened them and damaged the tube. You might try a single piece base ring also if your rifle will allow it. The main consideration is alignment of the scope both vertically and horizontally. It could be that you have a bad scope and needs to be returned. The problem here is the possibility of having damaged it during mounting. Good luck.

Unless your rings are defective changing to a diiferent ones should make no changes to point of impact. In the old days we sometimes had to shim scopes or bases but I have not had to do that for many years. You could switch the front and back rings around and check if that makes a difference. If it does then the rings are not in spec. Not likely though. My guess would be the bases are not exactly level with the bore. you could shim the scope to correct.

Probably a combination of the scope and the offset between the scope and the barrel. What type of scope is on it? How much internal MOA adjustment doest it have?

I'd swap out to the lower rings. That may get you on at 100 - 200 yard but may not have enough adjustment out past that.

If I had to guess I'd say the scope just doesn't have enough internal adjustment to make up for the offset.

A 20 MOA base might help also.

the rings are not touching they are snug like they should be. my thought's were when you dial the elevation up the crosshare actually move's down toward the piont of impact, so if i lowered the scope as low as it will go i will be moving the crosshares towards the piont of impact and gaining back some of my elevation adjustment.

Probably a combination of the scope and the offset between the scope and the barrel. What type of scope is on it? How much internal MOA adjustment doest it have?

I'd swap out to the lower rings. That may get you on at 100 - 200 yard but may not have enough adjustment out past that.

If I had to guess I'd say the scope just doesn't have enough internal adjustment to make up for the offset.

A 20 MOA base might help also.

i put a burris fulfield 3x9x40 with the ballistic plex on it. if i can get it on at 100 i will be happy and just use the ballistic plex reticles to make up the distance beyond once i can shoot it to see at what ranges they are dead on at.

well just got back from the range. i ended up shiming up the scope base ten thou. and shimed up the rear scope ring with the address lable looking shims that cam with the rings used all 4 of them. wound up shooting 3 feet high so i got back a lot of my used up elevation. the rifle shot easily a .75 in group using 55 grain hornady ballistic tip ammunition and i dont feel i had a real good rest. i will return another day when i have more time to set up. i was running out of daylight. the 69 gr federal nato spec shot about a 3 in group :angry:. thanks guys for all the sugestions my evil black rifle is now back on track:pleasantry:

well just got back from the range. i ended up shiming up the scope base ten thou. and shimed up the rear scope ring with the address lable looking shims that cam with the rings used all 4 of them. wound up shooting 3 feet high so i got back a lot of my used up elevation. the rifle shot easily a .75 in group using 55 grain hornady ballistic tip ammunition and i dont feel i had a real good rest. i will return another day when i have more time to set up. i was running out of daylight. the 69 gr federal nato spec shot about a 3 in group :angry:. thanks guys for all the sugestions my evil black rifle is now back on track:pleasantry:

Glad to hear the shim worked!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back