ND CCW changes

LVLouisCyphre

Obama is a mack daddy!
As of Aug 1, 2009 all instruction and testing for the ND CCW must take place in North Dakota because of changes as of the last legislative session. Another change that has occurred is that all instructors must take a class offered by the ND AG's Office once their current instructor certification expires.

Have you heard anything definate about the different classes of CCW that will becoming on line? ie class one you have to actually shoot, then you get receprity with more states. Class 2 is pretty much the same as it is now. (or vise versa)

Have you heard anything definate about the different classes of CCW that will becoming on line? ie class one you have to actually shoot, then you get receprity with more states. Class 2 is pretty much the same as it is now. (or vise versa)
Nothing definite.

It will probably be explained during the ND CCW instructor class. As of August 1, 2009 ND will be like AZ, NV and TX where all instruction and testing must occur within the issuing State. Since the primary reason for me to maintain ND CCW instructor certification was to provide a broad coverage CCW solution for 18 to under 21 year olds, I won't be renewing it. If the ND changes it where instruction can occur outside of ND again then I'll revisit providing instruction and testing for that State's CCW. I have no reservation about going to ND and taking the ND AG's CCW instructor class providing I can teach the class anywhere.

In the meantime, I'll direct my 18 to under 21 year old students to get a ME then a NH. If they need a ND for broader coverage then they will have to go to ND to get it.

I've been trying to get the permit test scheduled to get my nonresident permit, but I have had great difficulty getting a certified test administrator in my area to do this. So far, of the 3 in my area, one has declined to let me take the test, one has his telephone number disconnected, and I am still waiting to hopefully hear back from the third. I guess I had higher hopes for folks in the system to support each other. It's kind of like going to Wal-Mart to try to get low priced ammo which they are always out of these days !
I'll probably just go for a Florida or Utah instead, for more $.

even though the fl/ut is a bit more money, they give you reprocity with more states than just the ND one. And, it sounds like with less hassle too.

I'll be updating the ND info page this week

Link Removed

NEW CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT LAWS

Take Effect August 1, 2009

BISMARCK – Beginning August 1, 2009, applicants for a North Dakota Concealed
Weapon Permit will have a choice of permits. In an effort to increase the number of
states that recognize North Dakota’s concealed weapon permits, the new law creates a
two-tier system.

The Class 2 permit is available to anyone over the age of 18 who passes an open book
test, and is the same as the existing permit. To receive a Class 1 permit, however, the
applicant must be over 21, complete a course of classroom instruction, the open book
test, and pass a proficiency test.

“Some states refused to recognize our permits because North Dakota did not require a
concealed weapon permit holder to complete a shooting proficiency test,” said Attorney
General Wayne Stenehjem. “By creating a two-tier system, we are able to
accommodate existing permit holders and still offer a choice to people who are
interested in reciprocity with other states.”

Two states, Arizona and West Virginia, already have agreed to recognize our new Class
1 permits, although neither state will recognize Class 2 or existing permits. Eleven other
states that have not previously extended reciprocity, including Minnesota, are still
reviewing North Dakota’s new laws.

Other changes to the concealed weapons laws and rules that take effect on Saturday
include:
• Application fee increases to $45.00;
• All testing and classroom instruction must be conducted within the state.
• All existing permits automatically convert to a Class 2 permit on August 1, 2009,
and keep the same expiration date. Existing permit holders may apply to upgrade
to a Class 1 permit upon completion of the necessary testing requirements.

Detailed information about the new rules and application process, and a list of certified
test administrators, is available online from the Attorney General’s website, at
Link Removed.

There are currently 12,733 North Dakota concealed weapons permit holders.

even though the fl/ut is a bit more money, they give you reprocity with more states than just the ND one. And, it sounds like with less hassle too.
UT is cheap long term, $10 renewal plus a current passport photo.

I have also looked at the ND Code, the AG's office made the decision to have all instruction held within the State. It's not codified anywhere.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back