Concealed Carry with a toddler in my lap.

Greg Scott

Hummingbird photographer
I've got a 2 year old grandson. Around the house and around the outside world, I'd like to carry, but in a very childproof and fully concealed way. I'm thinking for larger pistols a fanny pack would be ok, but odd at home. For my little Keltec P32, it's easier, a good pocket holster is the solution, I suppose. But any other suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. My daughter-in-law isn't very comfortable around guns, so I would prefer that she wasn't even aware. I'm a fat guy who normally wears shorts and a t-shirt. A belt holster would definitely need good retention design features!

Crossbreed Mini-tuck

Crossbreed is expensive but they make a nice kydex and leather IWB holster for the LCP, P3AT, and P32.
Link Removed

I made a home-made IWB for my P32 after it fell out of my pocket once.

Appendix IWB in kydex...have mine all the time, no problem around my 15 mo old.

I've got 2 kids, a 5 yr old boy and an 8 month old girl. If I am awake and not on my way to base I am armed. I carry in a Blackhawk Serpa OWB for my XD or a Kholster IWB behind my right hip for my SW99. The only issue I have ever had was my son was "horsing around" at Wally World and decided to try and punch me behind my right hip (I was carrying my SW99) I made sure he was ok and knew there wasnt anything wrong with my firearm I laughed at him and told him thats why he cant play like that in Wally world :biggrin: My son is very aware of my guns and the fact that I carry. He has never messed with them but then again I let him "help me" clean or even load a clip and he has even shot my P22 a few times (with my assistance.) Any "GOOD" holster should be fine around kids. Best of luck and carry happily.

I've got a 2 year old grandson...My daughter-in-law isn't very comfortable around guns, so I would prefer that she wasn't even aware.

I know this is an old thread (albeit recently revived), and although I have enjoyed reading posts here at USACarry for some time, I had to register simply to respond directly to the OP.

Carrying concealed around your own young child is one thing, and plenty of people do it safely, including subsequent posters and even myself. But if a parent has made it clear that she or he is not comfortable around guns, then you should respect those wishes and *not* carry in those situations.

P.S. I might suggest to continue "educating" your daughter-in-law (perhaps even indirectly through your son) about the benefits of firearms, but again, in the meantime I would tend to not cross a parent's own wishes when it comes to the caregiving of their child.

But if a parent has made it clear that she or he is not comfortable around guns, then you should respect those wishes and *not* carry in those situations.

... I would tend to not cross a parent's own wishes when it comes to the caregiving of their child.

Agreed!

I know this is an old thread (albeit recently revived), and although I have enjoyed reading posts here at USACarry for some time, I had to register simply to respond directly to the OP.

Carrying concealed around your own young child is one thing, and plenty of people do it safely, including subsequent posters and even myself. But if a parent has made it clear that she or he is not comfortable around guns, then you should respect those wishes and *not* carry in those situations.

P.S. I might suggest to continue "educating" your daughter-in-law (perhaps even indirectly through your son) about the benefits of firearms, but again, in the meantime I would tend to not cross a parent's own wishes when it comes to the caregiving of their child.

I'm a firm believer in people being able to make a personal choice when it comes to self protection. If the man chooses to carry, then he should do so, but deeply concealed. If he's carrying properly concealed, then there's no problem, so long as he's compliant with all applicable laws.

On a side note, then OP's son needs to have a serious heart to heart with his son. Seems like his son has issues with his wife with regard to firearms and/or firearms ownership. The issue needs to be resolved now as it will be easier to resolve without the grandson spouting off one way or another.

gf

When children are scheduled to visit our home, the house is "de-fanged". If they spend the night, security changes.
I will not wear a pistol around my grandchildren.
Their mother has an issue with firearms, but in time, I will educate her. She has accepted an invite to the shooting range this summer. In the meantime, I respect her wishes.
Making a small adjustment, is worth avoiding drama.

Please, everyone secure your firearms around children. There is no excuse for a firearm accident.

I do store all the house guns that might accessable to the grandkinds when they visit. I also carry all the time even in the house when they visit. Two 5 year old grandsons have had the full safety talk about PaPa's guns. We even went out and blew up a water jug so they realized the destructive power of the tool. I figure about one more year and they can start shooting. My son keeps a Ruger 10-22 behind his back door (w/o mag) and his kids are used to it just like any other power tool. Son-in-law is an Iraq vet(2 tours) but he's adamant about lockbox storage. I think he may have childhood issues I haven't heard about but they also live in the city so theft is a problem also.
Specific to carrying with toddler on your lap. I use a standard hip holster. My two year granddaughter was sitting on my lap and squirming for a comforatble spot when she bumped the holster. She looked up at me and said"PaPa pistol" and that was the only notice she made.

If the question had concerned teaching a grandchild about guns, shooting skills, or gun safety I'd say I agree, yield to the parent's wishes. A concealed gun on my person is not a risk factor to the child. Whether or not I CC is tantamount to telling me what color briefs I can wear. Neither the gun nor my briefs should ever be seen, so how is it anyone else's business?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back