FL CWL - 110+ Days

codpet

I called the department of agriculture today, 110+ days after sending my application in. They haven't even looked at my application yet. They lady said they are just now processing applications received Feb 15th, 2009. Mine was received Feb 20th, 2009.

She said it will be at least another 6 weeks before I hear anything.

Is this illegal at this point? I thought they had 90 days to process an application, by law.

Who you gonna call the late permit police ???

Of course they are in technical violation but if you press the issue they will simply say they are waiting for the print results from the FBI or any other disposition in the background check, all of which authorizes a delay under statute.

Sounds like they are running about 30 days behind but with current budget cuts, that is actually not too bad ... I would suggest being patient.

There is an old statement that says "If you press someone for an answer right now the answer will always be NO".

If you sit around as a citizen of course nothing will be done. Why would anyone do anything for someone if they don't first help themselves.

I did my part, I emailed the governor, and the Lt. governor. I can at least express my concerns with this states complete disregard for the law.

They can try and push that background junk on me, but honestly, I have more clearance than anyone with the department of agriculture.

The law reads that the state must process permit applications within 90 days or they are automatically approved. Please point out these underlying statues allowing them to extend beyond that, as I can't find that information anywhere.

In addition, FL is a shall-issue state, not a may-issue state, meaning they can't just tell you no, they have to have a disqualifying reason to deny a permit to you, let alone justify a delay, if such a delay is even allowed, as you say it is.

I am interested in this as well, as 90 days is comming up for me. I want to know how to get my permit when 90 days is up...........

I did my CCW for NV during my Front Sight Class, took the paperwork down to the Pahrump Sheriff's station, got live scan fingerprinted and photo - CCW was mailed to my home "12" days later. Now that's service.

I also sent in my FL by mail the same week so it looks like a very long wait. Utah was also submitted the same week so maybe they will be a bit faster.

Little hope for me.. April 1st is when I sent mine out.. Looks like I have at least another couple of months..
Please let us know on the forum when you receive yours..
Thanx

they recived my ccp app. feb 21 said today was completed on june first but still waiting on"FBI"for print results even did the "LIVESCAN" because it was faster :sarcastic: what a joke will keep ya'll up to date:mad:

Last edited:
Who you gonna call the late permit police ???

Of course they are in technical violation but if you press the issue they will simply say they are waiting for the print results from the FBI or any other disposition in the background check, all of which authorizes a delay under statute.

Sounds like they are running about 30 days behind but with current budget cuts, that is actually not too bad ... I would suggest being patient.

There is an old statement that says "If you press someone for an answer right now the answer will always be NO".

They were 95,000 licenses behind when I spent the month of February in Florida. The Governor and Charles Bronson are doing everything they can do to keep this process running. They are on our side!

The good news is that all new and renewal licenses are good for 7 years and cost the same.

FL CCW e-mail to the Governor

I sent a letter to the Governor - Copying the commissioner, the Director (not sure of this e-mail address) and my local legislator. Here is the e-mail..

TO: Charlie Crist <[email protected]>;
CC: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

Mr. Crist;
I first want to thank you for vetoing the $6 Million from being taken from the Dept. of Agriculture trust fund for Concealed Carry Weapons (CCW) permits. I asked you to veto this, and you did.. Way to GO!!

On to my next concern. The law that dictates the policies around the CCW permits states that the permits have to be approved or denied in 90 days. This is not happening today. The permits are running more than 110 days. With $8 Million sitting in a trust fund and 10% unemployment in the state, why is this being allowed to happen? If the state will not obey their own laws, it sets a poor example for the citizenry. If you call about your 90+ day CCW permit, they state that it is waiting on the FBI fingerprints.. Well if there is a back log at FBI (if that is just not an excuse!) then the Dept of Agriculture has had 90 days to get them through the FBI. Within 30 days they cashed my check.. If you are going to pull the checks out of the envelopes early, why would you not also pull the fingerprints at the same time and get them started if there is a known delay in the process for fingerprints?

Please speak with the Commissioner Charles Bronson and the Director Constance Crawford to do whatever is necessary to bring the process within compliance of the law.. Modify the process, buy equipment, and hire people. I know this is a cash strapped time for the state, but this department has $8 Million just for use at times like these..

Please get this back on track.. There are other states (Nevada for example) where you can get a permit in less than 3 weeks.. 90 days should be sufficient, and the Department should be dedicated to making the 90 day goal 100% of the time. Accept or Deny on grounds.

Thank You for your time and attention

Signature...

I figured I might as well get my CCW before the idiots in DC start some kind of nationwide crackdown....mailed mine January 27th and got it back May 23rd....approx. 116 days. So hang in there!

C7

I figured I might as well get my CCW before the idiots in DC start some kind of nationwide crackdown....mailed mine January 27th and got it back May 23rd....approx. 116 days. So hang in there!
There was some email sent out by the NRA detailing how the Florida legislature was stealing most of the money ($6 million+) gun owners contributed to the Dept.of Ag. & Consumer Svcs. for the sole purpose of hiring and processing CCW applications and using it to try and balance their bloated budget. It was conviently tucked into some other bill and the RINO Crist was surely gonna sign it...so that will only help delay things. :angry:

C7

He didn't sign it, it's already been over and done. That money stays where it is.

My 90 days is day after tomorrow. Guess I'll put my patient glasses on.

He didn't sign it, it's already been over and done. That money stays where it is.

My 90 days is day after tomorrow. Guess I'll put my patient glasses on.

That's what I get for not completely reading the entire thread...I called Tally and also sent Crist an email expressing my opinion on that matter....the Gun lobby is a wonderful thing!

C7

09-0516 :: Took my FL CCW permit class
09-0519 :: Mailed completed packet
09-0610 :: Waiting...
09-0619 :: Waiting... (+30)
09-0719 :: Waiting... (+60)

Last edited:
Thats cool that NY has the 90 day law (even if they don't follow it).

In NY if you don't hear back after either 6 or 9 months, they have to provide you with a written explanation on why it hasn't been completed yet. So they are required to tell you that they are behind, but thats about it. Mine took 7+ months.

That's what I get for not completely reading the entire thread...I called Tally and also sent Crist an email expressing my opinion on that matter....the Gun lobby is a wonderful thing!

C7

I know! I figure with the massive amount of email's Crist got on that issue, his computer had to have some sort of smoke emmiting from it at some point.
:sarcastic:

Damn! On recent visit to Fl. wife and I got the live scan. That was Easter week, May.
Guess I will be waiting quite awhile for my non resident permit. BTW, besides up front costs for scan they did cash our $75 checks = $150 total. Expensive but Fl has no income tax which it better choice! CoPet. Thanks for your leg work. Hope it helps!

From what the lady said to me it seemed it was logged or whatever because she said everything looked good. That they were just behind about a month. What that meant I don't know.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back