For Real? A safe and Effective Gun Lock? Check it out.

AZSATT

I recently received an email with a link to this gun locking device.

Have any of you guys seen or experienced this device? From the video, it seems simple, safe and effective, with another added benefit of being affordable. But other than the video, I haven't seen one "up close and personal." I'm very curious.

After reading about the homeowner in Texas returning home to have some punk start firing at him with HIS own guns he was in the act of stealing - that got me thinking about effective safes and locks again. (I'd only consider locking the guns I'm not actively carrying or hauling to the range. Otherwise, they're in use or accessible for use.)

The old consideration: safety vs. accessibility. What do you think?

VLLOGO

Looks to be a Steel Rod, Brass Cartridge of some sort and an Allen key? The Allen key locks and unlocks the Rod from the Cartridge it looks like?
No, I have never seen this device before. I'm just replying on the video part, I have not checked the Site out just yet though. Seems pretty neat, but the Key must have different designs on the end of it similair like locking lug nuts on a car wheel? Like I said, I have not looked at the Site yet. I'll check it out!

This lock (or one very similar) was developed in Elyria Ohio. The idea was good but when you had it locked into place you had a steel cap next to the muzzle of you gun. I did not like the fact that you had metal-to-metal contact. This could damage the muzzle of the gun. Now if that has been updated and changed it may be ok. Just my two cents.

Yeah, the first time I saw the video I was wondering about that too - but I watched it again and it almost seems like a molded hard-plastic handle/knob like you'd see on the end of a one-piece rifle barrel-cleaning rod.

I like how the lock secures the action so the slide is inoperable, but I have more questions - like the "key" to remove the lock rod from the brass casing end... how easy/hard would it be to pypass that?

I'm intrigued, and for $20 I may have to get one if only for a training aid in class - they make 'em for long guns too.

Apparently this device has won a lot of NRA recognition - but it's the first I've seen of it.

I think I'll Wait and see

I was going to wait untill I had a chance to inspect it a little closer before passing judgement.

After reading about the homeowner in Texas returning home to have some punk start firing at him with HIS own guns he was in the act of stealing - that got me thinking about effective safes and locks again.
A lock that is as easy to remove as the one in the video supposedly is would not be very effective against a thief.

Did you notice the key statement?

Apparently, they all use the same key. Thus, if a BG were to buy one, he/she would have access to all firearms secured with this lock. Seems like the worst part of a gun lock (lengthy access) with the worst part of no gun lock (easily accessed/used by a BG).

It's a POS (Piece Of S***). I've never seen such a piece of crap on the market. I strongly recommend against using the device. Only thing worse I've seen so far is the "Safety Bullet".

gf

yes i have looked at this site and asked Mike Worley my father about it (the inventor of the safety bullet) he says that although they have been up and running longer that their product is inferrior because a child would see that red tip on the gun and know to disable it. This is unlike safety bullet because it is hidden in side the the gun and cannot be detected. The will keep unautherized users from being able to shoot your firearm when they pull the trigger it will be locked up:flirt::flirt:. ANY QUESTIONS?

It's a POS (Piece Of S***). I've never seen such a piece of crap on the market. I strongly recommend against using the device. Only thing worse I've seen so far is the "Safety Bullet".

gf

Glock Fan I love how you beat around the bush about everything! Come on just tell us how you really feel! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't use gun locks. I have a whole drawer full of them though--they keep sticking them in the boxes that my new guns come in. Any gun that is not on my person is in the safe. There are a few guns laying around for HD but when I leave they go in the safe too.
Gun locks don't make sense to me unless one has little kids around--but even when my grandkids come over they just go in the safe (the guns --not the grandkids).
A thief with a gun that has a gun lock on it is still gonna steal your gun, I prefer my safe

What do you think the odds of actually knowing where that key is when you need the gun ... unless you keep it with the gun, which is like keeping any lock with the key in it ... useless.

I like the barrel/chamber lock concept (assuming there are no protrusions that would be damaging the chamber), but some sort of combination lock on the end would make more sense to me.

i personally think it may be the easiest gun lock, i admit i am intrigued. if its rally as fast to unlock as it shown then it may be worth while . but i agree with murph50 just keep them in a safe thats the safest. i do however keep one in my drawer next to the bed and may be interested in this for that gun only.

What do you think the odds of actually knowing where that key is when you need the gun ... unless you keep it with the gun, which is like keeping any lock with the key in it ... useless.

I like the barrel/chamber lock concept (assuming there are no protrusions that would be damaging the chamber), but some sort of combination lock on the end would make more sense to me.

Very good point! I know if I am ever in a situation where I need to use a fireamr in my home (god forbid) I know I don't want to have to fiddle with a lock before I can defend myself. Once I have my permit to carry (gotta love PRMA) the only firearm not in the safe is the one on my person. I am not a fan for lockes except for transport to and from the range which the law requires. I am also a fan of the safe. Like previously stated, a locked firearm will not deter a theif, he/she will still steal the firearm.

A Crossbreed Supertuck is about the best gun lock I've ever used. I'm with Murph on this. Keep it in the safe or on your person. The red tip on this one tells any kid that might see it "this is a toy", since someone decided that otherwise realistic toys must have red tipped muzzles.

I'd keep a spare key in my pocket right next to my spare handcuff key. That way, after I got out of the handcuffs, I could unlock the gun and shoot.

What was I doing in handcuffs? That's for me to know and you to find out.

Probably a universal key, and one every self-respecting BG would carry. Along with that handcuff key.

gf
I went to that safety bullet site and I have to agree with you, utter crap :laugh:

A Crossbreed Supertuck is about the best gun lock I've ever used. I'm with Murph on this. Keep it in the safe or on your person. The red tip on this one tells any kid that might see it "this is a toy", since someone decided that otherwise realistic toys must have red tipped muzzles.

Thats what I was thinking when I saw the vid, it looked like a toy gun with that red tip on it :wacko:

I think a safe is a better idea to keep them away from kids/thieves.

Last edited:
My Taurus guns all come with an action lock and key .1/4 turn lock to disable and activate the lock. I do use it when kids are around

My Taurus guns all come with an action lock and key .1/4 turn lock to disable and activate the lock. I do use it when kids are around

I had a Taurus PT145 once that had an internal lock, it locked up on me once while shooting so I sold it. Hopefully that never happens to you :fie:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back