National CCW permit??

rmsleboda

P.A.-C.
I am new to this site, but I am very curious about what seems a common sense idea--- is there no such thing as a national CCW permit? That way you can "jump through the hoops" just once and be able to carry your concealed weapon anywhere in the continental US.

The Feds don't have the powers granted to them in the Constitution to issue such a thing, and to cover all states that's the only way to do it...

Many attempts at a National Reciprocity Bill have been tried and all have failed. The most recent one (still in the works) is as follows:

Link Removed

The 2nd Amendment should be a national carry permit but then again we are talking about the way things should be not as they are.

Interesting that it hasn't been passed - any opinions on why? It seems it would eliminate so much nonsense - not to mention the victimization of decent, honest gunowners who trip over the various laws of thes states in (and through) which they travel

Interesting that it hasn't been passed - any opinions on why? It seems it would eliminate so much nonsense - not to mention the victimization of decent, honest gunowners who trip over the various laws of thes states in (and through) which they travel

Lack of knowledge of laws is no excuse. If you cant keep up with a few laws you probably should not be carrying in the first place. Currently states have many different requirements for carry and some states have nearly banned it.

It has not passed because we have to many Marxists in congress.

The curious thing to me about all these state laws even after you've applied, taken the class. passed both the written and shooting exams, you still can't take your gun into schools, some stores, police stations, some parks, couurts, airports and the list goes on....all places whereyou'll likely to need a gun when the shooting starts.Its like a double entendre...when You need it most you can't use it. You tell me, are we really better off?:hang3:

The biggest reason for it's failure is non-support by our representatives. Another reason is the states rights issue which comes up. This point should have no effect though because drivers and marriage licenses are accepted state to state. Another point of contention is the different requirements in each state. This should not be to difficult to overcome though.

The biggest reason for it's failure is non-support by our representatives. Another reason is the states rights issue which comes up. This point should have no effect though because drivers and marriage licenses are accepted state to state. Another point of contention is the different requirements in each state. This should not be to difficult to overcome though.

You mean there are standardized requirements for drivers license? We let people drive this bad in EVERY state ??? :cray:

Now you want a National CCW permit issued and controled by the Federal Government. As an exercise take all the states and put them in order from most difficult to get a CCW right now to easiest. The Feds are not going to go to the Vermont or Alaska style but rather somewhere toward the majority. Remember this is going to have to pass the House and Senate.

The Senate has 435 members so we will have to get 218 to approve it probably according to what their state laws are. This meas that the following states are going to decide what the CCW permit will require and how it will be restricted.
# of Reps Running Total
52 California 52
31 New York 83
30 Texas 113
23 Florida 136
21 Pennsylvania 157
20 Illinois 177
19 Ohio 196
16 Michigan 212
13 New Jersey 225

So check out the requirements for these states to see what your CCW will be like. :)

That's harsh, Rock. He just joined, and he's only asking a question.

Harsh? That's reality! What is harsh is what can happen to you if you dont take 30 minutes before your trip and learn the laws to keep you outa trouble. What is harsh is weapons charge in another state, loose your gun, spend the night in the pokey and then have a felony on your record and loose your right to own a gun.

Now you want a National CCW permit issued and controled by the Federal Government. As an exercise take all the states and put them in order from most difficult to get a CCW right now to easiest. The Feds are not going to go to the Vermont or Alaska style but rather somewhere toward the majority. Remember this is going to have to pass the House and Senate.

National reciprocity would not be Fed controlled. It would be more like a drivers license where you would meet each states requirements to obtain a permit. Just as some states don't require formal drivers training some don't require firearms training. Once you get your states permit it would be accepted in all states. Therein is the problem. Some states do not allow concealed carry and some have no permit requirement. With national reciprocity you would have to adhere to the state laws you are visiting.

A National CC permit seems like a National ID to me. Something the Feds should have no control over, ala 10th Amendment. The 2nd Amendment should be all that is needed, but I think we're all on the same page with that one.

Might make things easier, but do we really want the Feds involved in it? I would think that working on a State to State level to ensure better reciprocity would be a more desirable course? :unsure:

National reciprocity would not be Fed controlled. It would be more like a drivers license where you would meet each states requirements to obtain a permit. Just as some states don't require formal drivers training some don't require firearms training. Once you get your states permit it would be accepted in all states. Therein is the problem. Some states do not allow concealed carry and some have no permit requirement. With national reciprocity you would have to adhere to the state laws you are visiting.

Drivers license is not Fed controlled because the Feds do not require it. Drivers license reciprocity is totally an agreement between states to recognize each others license and has nothing to do with federal control. This is the difference between what some are suggesting for CCW and drivers license. Any state at any time can stop recognizing license from another state. The US highway numbering system was a state system not federal. Marriage license is a state agreement not federal. For the feds to require states to recognize CCW then they will also regulate it just like they do with the CDL.

Considering the fact that when handguns are banned, we who have carry permits will be the first visited, no, I don't think we are better off. I've got a carry permit, but I'm not convinced it really means anything, other than more revenue for the state. Everyone with a carry permit is gonna have a decision to make when "the man" says we can no longer carry, or even own guns.

JJFlash

A National CC permit seems like a National ID to me. Something the Feds should have no control over, ala 10th Amendment. The 2nd Amendment should be all that is needed, but I think we're all on the same page with that one.

Might make things easier, but do we really want the Feds involved in it? I would think that working on a State to State level to ensure better reciprocity would be a more desirable course? :unsure:
What the Feds SHOULD do is BAN CCWs, followed by reaffirming that no state shall in any way restrict the possession (open or concealed) of firearms. Don't hold your breath.

Lack of knowledge of laws is no excuse. If you cant keep up with a few laws you probably should not be carrying in the first place. Currently states have many different requirements for carry and some states have nearly banned it. ...

Harsh? That's reality! What is harsh is what can happen to you if you dont take 30 minutes before your trip and learn the laws to keep you outa trouble. What is harsh is weapons charge in another state, loose your gun, spend the night in the pokey and then have a felony on your record and loose your right to own a gun.
True, we do need to know the laws of the jurisdictions we pass through. That goes without saying. But that doesn't mean that the laws shouldn't be consistant throughout the country. His point was that it WOULD help keep the law abiding citizen from becoming a felon just because of a change in his geographical location. This is why there are statewide preemption laws, so that someone doesn't have a different set of rules from one town to the next. Granted, it is much easier to research the laws of a couple states than 20 or 30 cities, but the concept is the same. Regardless, 2A should be the Nationwide Preemption Law.

It has not passed because we have to many Marxists in congress.
Not to mention Lord Obama.

Leosa

The closest thing we have to a national carry concealed weapon "license" is LEOSA. Of course you have to meet the requirements of being a federal, state or local law enforcement officer or a qualified retired one among other things. Then you can carry where ever the "cops" can with a few exceptions. There are always exceptions.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back