Carry Without Holster?

sambo42xa

USA Carry Supporter
I mentioned this in another topic but figured I would just start a thread on it unless it has been mentioned before and I was just too lazy too do a search?
How many of you carry a firearm in your pocket, purse, etc. or just plainly on yourself Without a holster? In class it was taught not to do this for the weapon can get caught on clothing, keys, or just about anything it is mixed in with especially if you get into a cituation where your weapon needs to be drawn right away (I guess in a cituation it has to get drawn right away anyway!). I'm not saying it is a correct thing to do or not but it makes sense to me Not to. I read alot on forums about pocket and purse carrying without holsters. Do you think this is a good practice, Why or Why Not??

We had a case here in TN where a LEO was carrying in her purse without a holster. Her nephew went to get something out of her purse in a restaurant and had an AD. Luckily the round went off and hit the ceiling. She did get suspended for that incident.

I believe it depends on what your carrying and your own personal situations. But you wont see me carrying without a holster in ANY situation.

Currently in Georgia you must carry in a holster. There has been a bill introduced to remove this requirement.

We had a case here in TN where a LEO was carrying in her purse without a holster. Her nephew went to get something out of her purse in a restaurant and had an AD. Luckily the round went off and hit the ceiling. She did get suspended for that incident.

I believe it depends on what your carrying and your own personal situations. But you wont see me carrying without a holster in ANY situation.

a bad choice to carry in a purse first of all. if her purse gets stolen then whoever stole it has her gun too. and why would she be letting some one go through her purse if she has a gun in there?

I carry in a pocket inside my leather vest when I ride. However, the pocket is specifically designed for concealed carry and I put nothing but my gun in that pocket.

guilty
I mexican carry my snub nose sometimes
especially when I go return a dvd or go pick up a prescription.....(quick errands)
too lazy to "suit up" I guess

If one is going to carry in a purse then it should be a purse that is designed for concealed carry with a place just for the firearm so that nothing can get caught in the firearm. If you are going to carry in a pocket it is best to use a holster that is made for pocket carry unless it is as HardCorps said in clothing with a pocket that is designed for carry. As far as "Mexican carry" that is a bad idea period.

I personally wouldnt ever carry without some kind of holster which covers the trigger frame. My fiance has a messanger bag with a "secret pocket" designed for a pistol, so no holster needed there. There are those Clip-Carry things that go on the pistol so a holster is not needed, but Ive never known anyone who uses them.

I can understand "no Holster" pocket carry if the pocket properly positions the gun or a purse with a specific pocket for the gun alone. But waistband carry or Mexican carry is dangerous. There have been certain guns, Glocks, etc, where the trigger got snagged on the belt, belt loop or pants and BOOM. Also, put the gun in your waist band and run across the steet or wrestle a bad guy for a minute or two, and watch it bouce across the sidewalk.:fie:

All the reasons to NOT carry without a holster are right here (most in your original post). Just not smart, you need to protect that trigger.

... Also, put the gun in your waist band and run across the steet or wrestle a bad guy for a minute or two, and watch it bouce across the sidewalk.:fie:

Whoa there ... my permit does not say nothin' about no wraslin'! :wacko:

A thin pocket holster will protect the trigger, doesn't cost much and cuts down on printing. Use it.

Oh, it keeps most of the dust bunnies out of your weapon too!

I carry in a pocket inside my leather vest when I ride. However, the pocket is specifically designed for concealed carry and I put nothing but my gun in that pocket.
I prob have the same vest. I carry a 1911 in one pocket and ruger sp101 in the other.

Better check you laws here in Ohio you must have the gun in a holster even if you pocket carry. It is just good idea to use a holster as it will cover the trigger and eliminate the possibility of AD.

I am a firm believer that a firearm should be in some sort of holster even if its pocket carry. Like many of you said here, at least something that covers the trigger. ADs are not a fun situation to be in.

The only guns I carry not in a holster are my j-frame, P3AT and PM9 that fit in the front pocket of my cargo shorts. Otherwise, always in a holster. A police officer once told me that if he sees a gun in a holster, he is initially inclined to believe the carrier is doing so lawfully. Conversely, he said, a gun tucked into the waistband with no holster raises his suspicions. Go figure, but that's what he said.

Holster or not?

In Georgia, the law requires a holster. Be sure you know in your jurisdiction!
I've got a Keltec p32 with no safety. If I were to bump something (like a tree branch in the woods poking me in the thigh) I might be mighty sorry I didn't have a holster! Another guy mentioned keys. I've definitely heard that somebody shot themself taking keys out of their pocket, key tangled in trigger. Play it safe. THere is no such thing as an accidental discharge, only a negligent discharge.

I personally wouldnt ever carry without some kind of holster which covers the trigger frame. My fiance has a messanger bag with a "secret pocket" designed for a pistol, so no holster needed there. There are those Clip-Carry things that go on the pistol so a holster is not needed, but Ive never known anyone who uses them.

I have a friend at work that carries a Glock that way, but he's scared to carry it chambered due to the fact that he's heard about ADs happening that way. I told him to wear a holster, but his excuse is that its easier to CC his Glock with the little clip :wacko:

I carry my LCP in my front pants pocket with no holster in shorts or dress pants when I don't want to carry my .45. No issues.

One of my P3AT's is in my pocket every day. I work with wildlife and my job is very physical. I would not even consider carrying in my pocket with out having the trigger covered in a holster. I use the Uncle Mikes or a De Santis.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back