Dutchess County puts hold on new permit applications

rheaj

Just heard from a buddy of mine who went to the sheriff's office to submit his permit application. They wouldn't even take it. They said they are so backed up they are not accepting any more applications until after June. Another friend in Ulster county said he went to get a new handgun added to his existing permit and was told it would take four to six weeks.

Just heard from a buddy of mine who went to the sheriff's office to submit his permit application. They wouldn't even take it. They said they are so backed up they are not accepting any more applications until after June. Another friend in Ulster county said he went to get a new handgun added to his existing permit and was told it would take four to six weeks.
Man your permit is only for a specific gun? I can carry what ever I want with my cpl. Man sucks to be you guys:pleasantry:

Onondaga County's wait is even longer

If you call now in Onondaga county to make an appointment to submit your application, they are already booking into July or August, so don't feel bad. I called in back December and was given an appointment this month (just turned in my application last week), but when I was there I was told the wait is now about 5 months.

Add to that the 3-6 months it will take for your application to be "processed", it is now taking almost 1 year to get a restricted pistol permit here in Onondaga county.

Another friend in Ulster county said he went to get a new handgun added to his existing permit and was told it would take four to six weeks.

Is your friend sure about that? They were doing walk-in amendments, last I heard. They were getting huge backlogs last year, but they changed their procedure to allow the clerk to sign off.

That sucks! I just got my permit in Wayne county, it took one month from the day that I turned in my application for my permit to arrive in the mail. It's hard to believe that we all live in the same state!!:fie:

Last edited:
Appointments to submit applications? I guess we don't have it so bad in Ulster County. That's a drop-in deal too for us. They won't let you in less than 15 minutes before closing time, but otherwise it's wide open.

I was the sheriff's office in Dutchess County today. I was having my guns put on my wife's permit, and hers on mine. I asked about whether or not they were accepting applications, and they told me they never stopped accepting them, but if you submit an application today, you won't get an appointment for your fingerprinting until November! Also, just to get new permits with each others' handguns on them will take at least 5 weeks. With my wife's consent, the judge apparently still has to review and approve putting the "new" gun on her permit, and vice versa. Absolutely rediculous.

I was the sheriff's office in Dutchess County today. I was having my guns put on my wife's permit, and hers on mine. I asked about whether or not they were accepting applications, and they told me they never stopped accepting them, but if you submit an application today, you won't get an appointment for your fingerprinting until November! Also, just to get new permits with each others' handguns on them will take at least 5 weeks. With my wife's consent, the judge apparently still has to review and approve putting the "new" gun on her permit, and vice versa. Absolutely rediculous.

I'm sorry to hear that. That makes absolutely no sense from any perspective: legal, public safety, whatever. These are guns you already own and are licensed to carry. Your wife is licensed to carry a handgun. But the judge has to give his OK for her to carry YOUR handgun. Yup, it's absurd.

As I mentioned before, in Ulster County the clerk at the permit bureau can add new handguns to your permit while you wait. I went in at twenty to four with two receipts and was out the door by four o'clock with two new guns on my permit. Sorry, I don't mean to rub it in...

You can put guns on more than 1 permit? I don't know where i heard it, but i was told that you would have to take a gun off one permit, in order to put it on another (such as from yours to your wife's).

You can put guns on more than 1 permit? I don't know where i heard it, but i was told that you would have to take a gun off one permit, in order to put it on another (such as from yours to your wife's).

Yes, you can. It's pretty common between family members: husband/wife, parents/children, etc. Taking it off one permit to put in on another is only necessary when you sell the gun to someone and no longer own it. When it is between family members, you still own it but the other person is authorized to carry it.

In my NRA class, they strongly recommended doing that if your household has more than one permit holder: put everybody's guns on everybody's permit. They cited a case where a man was taken to the hospital after a car accident, and his wife (who was also in the car but wasn't hurt) wanted to take possession of the handgun that he had on him at the time of the accident. She had her own permit, but his gun wasn't listed on her permit, so the cops wouldn't let her take it. They confiscated it instead, and he had to reclaim it when he got out of the hospital.

Last edited:
They call it "co-own" in Dutchess. You have to either both go to the Pistol Permit office and sign the forms, or bring a letter from your spouse agreeing to "co-ownership" of the gun in order to put it on your permit. The accident/hospital scenario is quite accurate, and also in the unfortunate event that there is a death - this allows the spouse or other co-owner to take the gun collection hassle free.

You can add

My wife and I have all of our guns on each others permit. My neighbor has his guns on both his daughter and sons permits in case he should pass on or something. It can be done. Who ever told you that is wrong.:yu:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back