Should I Re-Apply?

LoganR

I recently finished 18 months of probation on a deferred sentence for reckless endangerment. It was because of a negligent discharge on my part inside an apartment. At the time, I'd had my concealed carry permit for over a year and hadn't had so much as a speeding ticket until it happened. It was in Boulder so, of course, I was arrested and treated like scum. My Jefferson County permit was subsequently revoked, but I was given a thorough psychological evaluation (they thought it may have been attempted suicide when, in fact, I was just tired and being stupid).

I don't know whether I should re-apply for a permit once my record has been expunged (my lawyer fought for the deferred sentence so that my record would be sealed/expunged and I would be able to at least have a chance of becoming a police officer after college). I just want to know whether I should even bother trying to get my permit back or even buy another gun. Any thoughts you have would be great.

I recently finished 18 months of probation on a deferred sentence for reckless endangerment. It was because of a negligent discharge on my part inside an apartment. At the time, I'd had my concealed carry permit for over a year and hadn't had so much as a speeding ticket until it happened. It was in Boulder so, of course, I was arrested and treated like scum. My Jefferson County permit was subsequently revoked, but I was given a thorough psychological evaluation (they thought it may have been attempted suicide when, in fact, I was just tired and being stupid).

I don't know whether I should re-apply for a permit once my record has been expunged (my lawyer fought for the deferred sentence so that my record would be sealed/expunged and I would be able to at least have a chance of becoming a police officer after college). I just want to know whether I should even bother trying to get my permit back or even buy another gun. Any thoughts you have would be great.

I think there's more to this story that you're not telling us. Personally, I don't think you're capable of handling a firearm, let alone carrying one around on public. Excuses like being tired and stupid just don't cut it.

It's situations like this that give the anti-gun lobby fuel to take away our Second Amendment rights.

Wow. I'll just answer the question.

I think that re-applying now would be futile. I'd save the money and wait a couple years. Invest your money in a handgun safety course instead so that when the day comes that you do want to re-apply, you can demonstrate that you're serious about safety and have shown the initiative to take a class or few, if some kind of appeal is necessary.

Sorry to hear about your ND. I'm guessing that no one was hurt (physically), and glad.

Accidental discharges happen to police and military members. They are usually retrained and put back on duty with a reprimand.

It would be helpful if you explained exactly how this weapon discharged to give us an idea on how negligent you were (improper clearing procedure vs. playing quick draw). This way we could give you a better answer.

Wow. I'll just answer the question.

I think that re-applying now would be futile. I'd save the money and wait a couple years. Invest your money in a handgun safety course instead so that when the day comes that you do want to re-apply, you can demonstrate that you're serious about safety and have shown the initiative to take a class or few, if some kind of appeal is necessary.

Sorry to hear about your ND. I'm guessing that no one was hurt (physically), and glad.

You're right, no one was hurt and I can't tell you how glad I am of that too.

I've taken 3 classes (the most recent as a result of the court order) without incident and passed easily. As for waiting a couple years to re-apply, I agree with you now that I think about it. Not only will it give me time for further training, but I'll be able to get perspective on my mistake and how I can be more safe in the future.

Thanks for your constructive reply.

Accidental discharges happen to police and military members. They are usually retrained and put back on duty with a reprimand.

It would be helpful if you explained exactly how this weapon discharged to give us an idea on how negligent you were (improper clearing procedure vs. playing quick draw). This way we could give you a better answer.

The weapon (Glock 19) discharged as I was moving it off of the bed next to me and into the safe on the bedside table. I'd removed it from my holster so it wouldn't pinch when I untied my shoes. I, absent-mindedly, picked it up by the butt with my left hand (reaching across my body without looking) and my finger slipped off of the trigger guard onto the trigger.

Thank you for your understanding and point regarding accidental/negligent discharges happening even to more highly-trained people than myself.

The weapon (Glock 19) discharged as I was moving it off of the bed next to me and into the safe on the bedside table. I'd removed it from my holster so it wouldn't pinch when I untied my shoes. I, absent-mindedly, picked it up by the butt with my left hand (reaching across my body without looking) and my finger slipped off of the trigger guard onto the trigger.

Thank you for your understanding and point regarding accidental/negligent discharges happening even to more highly-trained people than myself.

You said it yourself, Dude: "I absent-mindedly picked it up by the butt....." You can NEVER be absent-minded when handling a firearm!:fie: You have shown a lack of understanding and disregard for your safety and the safety of others in handling a gun. Fortunately, no one was hurt in this particular incident. What if you would have shot yourself or caused the death or wounding of another in the building? In my opinion, you got off lucky this time - the next time may be different.

Should you ever feel the need to re-apply for a permit, I suggest you take as many courses in gun safety as you can and LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back