Value of a 1898 Springfield 30-40 Krag

KimberPB

I buddy of mine asked me to clean up and touch up the bluing on an old rifle that he got from his dad. I said sure no prob. Well, it turned out to be a 1898 Springfield 30-40 Kreg. I told him that it may be worth more as is but would do some research. Its in good shape but the barrel has been cut down and the receiver was tapped for a scope mount. Will rebluing this decrease the value much more? Or should I just give it a good cleaning and give it back?

Thanks guys.

Oh and anyone know how to get the bolt out?

It's been so long since I've handled one that I'm not sure. I'm thinking that the safety has to be in the vertical position. If I get a chance tomorrow I think I know where one is and I'll check it out for you.

I found this on another forum, hope it helps:

You'll notice that the extractor is on top of the bolt; with the bolt completely open and all the way back, lift up on the front of the extractor and the bolt handle and bolt will then continue to turn counter-clockwise until the locking lug points straight up, which will allow you to pull the bolt out of the rifle.

I found this on another forum, hope it helps:

Thanks Cooter! I was looking at it last night and thought it looked like I had to move the extractor somehow. I just didn't want to brake it. I'll try it tonight.

thanks again

Yep that worked like a charm. I tried it last night and the bolt came right out.

Thanks a lot guys.

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back