You never really know somebody...

Rick O'Shay

There is a CAD tech I work with who I thought was a pretty good guy, until today. He forwarded an email from the ACLU to me about the "torture" memos release, with the email entitled "For those who are concerned about this".

I replied with a three word reply concerning the ACLU and a certain auto-erotic behavior. A long story short ends up with the CAD tech being a card carrying member of the before-mentioned Anti-American organization and him being offended by my comment, and a follow up email from the WSJ. I thought I liked the guy. Oh well.

If he used work e-mail turn him in before he turns you in.

Agreed. It's likely he already has, though.

The work place is not a location for the proliferation of political beliefs, especially in that manner. You're there to do your job.

But in our PC culture, your comment could get you fired if you don't get to your boss and apologize for your "overreaction" before he gets there.

Unfortunate, but a reality.

There is a CAD tech I work with who I thought was a pretty good guy, until today. He forwarded an email from the ACLU to me about the "torture" memos release, with the email entitled "For those who are concerned about this".

I replied with a three word reply concerning the ACLU and a certain auto-erotic behavior. A long story short ends up with the CAD tech being a card carrying member of the before-mentioned Anti-American organization and him being offended by my comment, and a follow up email from the WSJ. I thought I liked the guy. Oh well.
The last administration didn't do a very good job of getting their story straight on torture to begin with. The impression of falsehoods tends to create doubt in many people's minds. In the end, it's that sort of thing that caused us to lose a lot of elections in 2008, including the Presidential one.

The work place is not a location for the proliferation of political beliefs, especially in that manner. You're there to do your job.

But in our PC culture, your comment could get you fired if you don't get to your boss and apologize for your "overreaction" before he gets there.

Nah. Work email wasn't used, and besides in the environment I work in I am sure my view would have more universal agreement. Put it this way, the big boss had a talk about concealed carry a while back. He said, "Don't carry here at work. Lock it in your car or desk, that is where mine is."

The company is well stocked with "Right Wing Extremists".

I don't know that I would toss him as a friend. I have one that is almost 180 out from me when it comes to politics but we agree on one thing, the right to follow those beliefs and not force them on others.

At Rick's workplace, the ACLU is on the same plane as child molesters. The guy doesn't stand a chance.

I know a "certain someone" at that office that might've had an additional thing or two to say about the situation.

At Rick's workplace, the ACLU is on the same plane as child molesters. The guy doesn't stand a chance.

I know a "certain someone" at that office that might've had an additional thing or two to say about the situation.

So you think I should forward it to "Pappy"? :biggrin:
:nhl_checking:

The email in question:

Of interest to all...

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Jameel Jaffer, ACLU" <[email protected]>
> Date: April 16, 2009 7:10:36 PM CDT
> To:
> Subject: Breaking news: Torture memos released
> Reply-To: "Jameel Jaffer, ACLU" <[email protected]>
>
> *************************************************
> BREAKING NEWS: Torture memos released
>
> Join ACLU supporters across the country in calling on Attorney General
> Eric
> Holder to appoint an independent prosecutor to investigate
> detainee
> abuse and torture.
>
> Link Removed..
> *************************************************
> Dear ACLU Supporter,
>
> In response to an ACLU lawsuit, the Justice Department just released
> four memos that provided the basis for the Bush administration's
> illegal torture program.
>
> We'll have more to say about the horrific content of these memos in
> the days ahead, but in the meantime we commend the Obama
> administration for making good on its commitment to transparency. We
> also commend concerned citizens like you who have supported and fought
> alongside the ACLU's legal team in the long struggle to get
> these crucial memos released.
>
> But exposing the truth is only the first step. It's now
> imperative that the Justice Department investigate issues of criminal
> responsibility for the crimes that took place in the CIA's
> secret prisons.
>
> Join ACLU supporters across the country in calling on Attorney General
> Eric Holder to appoint an independent prosecutor to investigate
> detainee abuse and torture.
>
> Link Removed..
>
> The torture memos should never have been written -- the actions they
> justified violated domestic and international law and damaged
> America's reputation in the world. They authorized interrogators
> to use the most barbaric interrogation methods, including methods that
> the U.S. once prosecuted as war crimes. It's now the Justice
> Department's responsibility to make sure that the architects of
> the torture program are held accountable. Senior officials who
> authorized torture should not be shielded from investigation.
>
> Join us in demanding a criminal investigation by an independent
> prosecutor.
>
> Link Removed..
>
>
> We are hopeful that by releasing these memos, the Obama administration
> has begun to turn the page on an era in which the Justice Department
> became complicit in some of the most egregious crimes.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jameel Jaffer
> Director, National Security Project
> ACLU
>
>
>
> © ACLU, 125 Broad Street, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10004

Good point, Ronwill.

I don't know that I would toss him as a friend. I have one that is almost 180 out from me when it comes to politics but we agree on one thing, the right to follow those beliefs and not force them on others.

I think that Ronwill makes a very astute point. I am pretty much a libertarian at heart, staunch Bill of Rights defender, and believer in personal liberty. "As long as your not hurting someone else, I don't care what you do." is my personal philosophy.

That said, I am totally against torture, or "enhanced interrogation", or whatever euphemism is applied to this crappy, un-American, this-was-the-crap-that-the-Nazis-and-Japanese-did-not-us-we-were-the-good-guys kind of behavior. Now, I am not trying to discuss my viewpoint on torture (I did that here: http://www.usacarry.com/forums/general-firearm-discussion/6946-profound-statement.html). What I am trying to convey is that, just because you two don't agree on the subject, you can still be friends. In fact, it might open up a dialogue that will teach one or both of you something. Personally, I would take him out to lunch and hear him out. Then you could express your viewpoint. You might even change his mind, or your own.

Besides, a friend is a valuable thing, indeed.:yes4:

I think that Ronwill makes a very astute point. I am pretty much a libertarian at heart, staunch Bill of Rights defender, and believer in personal liberty. "As long as your not hurting someone else, I don't care what you do." is my personal philosophy.

That said, I am totally against torture, or "enhanced interrogation", or whatever of euphemism is applied to this crappy, un-American, this-was-the-crap-that-the-Nazis-and-Japanese-did-not-us-we-were-the-good-guys kind of behavior. Now, I am not trying to discuss my viewpoint on torture (I did that here: http://www.usacarry.com/forums/general-firearm-discussion/6946-profound-statement.html). What I am trying to convey is that, just because you two don't agree on the subject, you can still be friends. In fact, it might open up a dialogue that will teach one or both of you something. Personally, I would take him out to lunch and hear him out. Then you could express your viewpoint. You might even change his mind, or your own.

Besides, a friend is a valuable thing, indeed.:yes4:

1up on that,vary well said

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back