concealed carry 45

Whatever works for you!

I started out with a Colt Officers Model, in 45 caliber, but after the front sight fell off three times in qualifications, and after three trips to the gunsmith I was sure it was the perfect gun, then the spring plug blew out and the internal springs fell out in the next qualification. As I was picking up the pieces out of the dirt and thinking that if this happened in a gunfight, it would cost me my life. Traded it off for a Glock model 36, in 45 caliber, and have never regretted the trade. Just need Crimson Trace to hurry up and come out with the laser sight for the Model 36, and I will be a happy camper.

I am a 45 person and am looking into a nice concealed carry version that won`t break the bank account to buy.I`m sure i`m not the only person partial to 45`s so how about some suggestions from experience with a particular brand or just personal prefferences.I am curiuos to hear others opinions.

I am a big guy and I carry the Springfield GI 1911 A1. It cost me just over $400, some years back and I love it.

Tarzan

Jc40

JC40, have you narrowed your selection down?
Actually i believe i have.I am going to get two guns.Both being compact models in 45 caliber.One being the compact RIA 45 and the other being the glock model 30.It may require waiting until income tax time,but that is just around the corner,and for around $1000.00,give or take,i will have not only one,but two new guns.I`m sure my son will be more than happy to help me break them in.:)I am going to try to purchase one soon,but with going to school full time,the reserve money well is getting low.You know,prorities first.

Actually i believe i have.I am going to get two guns.Both being compact models in 45 caliber.One being the compact RIA 45 and the other being the glock model 30.It may require waiting until income tax time,but that is just around the corner,and for around $1000.00,give or take,i will have not only one,but two new guns.I`m sure my son will be more than happy to help me break them in.:)I am going to try to purchase one soon,but with going to school full time,the reserve money well is getting low.You know,prorities first.

Good choices, you won't be dissapointed with the RIA, they are really great pistols. Go here http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?f=17 ;) In fact one of the members just got a compact a week or so ago. I have a tactical model thats being coated right now. Heres a pic of her before the coating with a Wilson extended release
RIAoutside.jpg

Pretty nice and down to earth people there too. And 2 reps from RIA are members there an are on the board to include there e-mail addresses.

Last edited:
Jc40

Yes the RIA`s are definately very nice handguns.I actually joined the site,i just haven`t posted as of yet.I hope you post pictures when yours comes back.I definately would like to see the difference.

If you're looking for a .45 that is easily concealable, fairly accurate, and relatively inexpensive, I would suggest a Llama Mini max. It is a miniature 1911-style that holds 6+1.

I do not own a 45 but if I were to purchas one as a carry gun it might be something like the Para Ordance PXT PDA because I like double actions better than single actions.

Jc40

If you're looking for a .45 that is easily concealable, fairly accurate, and relatively inexpensive, I would suggest a Llama Mini max. It is a miniature 1911-style that holds 6+1.
It`s funny you mentioned the Llama mini max.I almost bought one a few years back when i first purchased my firestorm 40 cal.Unfortunately the company is out of business and parts are hard to find.I was also informed that the mini max`s were hit and miss as far as reliability.

I am partial to the Glocks myse;f. I started with the G30 which is designed especially for concealed carry. It holds 10+1 and can easily fit in a coat pocket. I recently traded it for a full sized G21. I have a large hand and am a big guy. I started shooting IDPA and found it difficult to to do speedy reloads with the smaller G30. Another advantage is that the G21 comes with 13 round mags. I know there are a lot of 1911 people out there but in my time shooting IDPA I have not seen or experienced a jam or malfunction with my Glock. I cant say the same for other manufacturers. As for the price, I picked up my G21 new for $550.00. If you are looking for a carry gun to use to protect yourself and your loved ones, I say you cant go wrong with a Glock. They arent the prettiest gun but when my life is on the line I want to make sure it goes BANG when I pull the trigger.

XD45 Compact - love it, price wont break a guy and it works every time.
I just picked up a XD45 Service today. I haven't had a chance to fire it but I will tomorrow. I have a feeling that it will become one of may many favorites!:):D

I have an XD40 service and like it very much. It shoots very well, it is comfortable to me, and I feel very dependable. My wife recently got an XD9 compact. We haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but like it very much as well. It (as I think they all do now) came with some accessories. It has a small kydex holster, a magazine loader, and a double magazine holder. Something I like about it is the extra magazine with it is an extended magazine. It makes it feel like I am holding my service model instead of a compact. Enjoy your 45.

I think I would like to invest in the grip that is shown on the RIA above..I just picked up my RIA and I think the grip needs a little improvement. I reckon I need to surf the net for grips now.

I think I would like to invest in the grip that is shown on the RIA above..I just picked up my RIA and I think the grip needs a little improvement. I reckon I need to surf the net for grips now.

Midwayusa has some really nice looking 1911 grips. I have never replaced mine, but they sure have some variety.

Check this site out when you get a chance.She makes some real nice grips.
Link Removed

Also try Omega Link Removed I had Sam @ Omega did a set for me for my Full framed .45Witness, heres a pic

EAAnewgrips003.jpg

EAAnewgrips001.jpg

5 weeks and a perfect fit.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back