Kid's first Pistol?

melloyello

Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a Kid's first pistol?
My son has been shooting his Ruger 10/22 and asked to move up to a pistol.
He's 9 years old and likes to shoot - doesn't like to load magazines or cleaning guns.

I didn't graduate to a pistol till 12 which is when we left NJ and moved to FL.
First used a Ruger Mark II and then Ruger 357 with 38 specials.
357 was too much till I turned 14.

Don't want him to lose interest by selecting the wrong weapon.
Thinking something easy to load, strip, clean, lightweight with minimal recoil.

Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a Kid's first pistol?
My son has been shooting his Ruger 10/22 and asked to move up to a pistol.
He's 9 years old and likes to shoot - doesn't like to load magazines or cleaning guns.

I didn't graduate to a pistol till 12 which is when we left NJ and moved to FL.
First used a Ruger Mark II and then Ruger 357 with 38 specials.
357 was too much till I turned 14.

Don't want him to lose interest by selecting the wrong weapon.
Thinking something easy to load, strip, clean, lightweight with minimal recoil.

You cant go wrong with the Mark II it is a very accurate gun and fun to shoot, that is what I learned with also when I was 12 in AZ.

Ruger Super Single-Six. Revolver (easy, simple operation), plus convertible from .22 to .22 Mag as he grows into it. It's Two...Two...Two guns in One!!

If you want to keep him with a pistol the Ruger MK lll is an excellent choice. You could also look for a used MK l or ll. Should you decide on a revolver the Ruger Single Six or Bearcat are excellent choices.

:eek:fftopic:
This is a little off topic, Sorry, But I'd like to commend you on teaching your son the shooting sports. Nicely done.

I bought my son one of the Heritage Rough Riders. I like the fact that he could shoot 22 lr or change cylinders for the magnum. I think Cimarrom makes a nice single action 22 called the Plinkerton. Of course, you would never go wrong with the Ruger Single Six.

For my son's first handgun I gave him a Ruger Single-Six at 14. I'd not hesitate to give a Rough Rider, but I bought the Ruger used for only $75 (about 11 years ago).

Congratulaitons on being a good father and spending quality time with your son.

My boy is 12 also..I started him out when he was 9 with a 22 browning buckmark...he loves it..now he shoots both my .45's like a champ...says he want a .40 cal for his bday...

+1 on the job well done introducing him to a wholesome sport and hobby.

Great choice!! It really is hard to go wrong with a wheelgun. They've withstood the test of time very well, and it frees your boy up to concentrate on the mechanics of shooting a handgun well, without throwing in some of the snafu's that only come with autos (FTF, stovepipe, etc.) I'm sure he will come to love the gun.:biggrin:

I think you guys will love that Rough Rider. We have enjoyed ours. I found it interesting that Heritage put a manual safety on their Rough Rider revolvers. Happy Shooting!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back