Indiana Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
Click here to view.

Let me know if there is anything I missed.

Last edited:
Doc,
Luke has been combining state info pages all day. He's probably in the middle of Indiana now.

If I have a truck, with no lockbox, what's the best way to transport into the state i.e. shotguns, rifles. (concealed carry of pistols is covered)

Hi all!! Im new to this site altogether so hello everyone! Please forgive me if Im double tapping a topic covered elsewhere on this site, but a after a quick scan I didnt find what I was looking for so it looks like this is the best place to ask. I am an Indiana permit holder and I carry regularly. My best friend who is a police officer recently told me that I will be arrested and have my permit revoked if I encounter a police officer and he finds that my pistol has a round in the chamber. I asked another police officer and he confirmed this. SO...I read the IC code exhaustively and found no such law. Is this a made up law the police use to keep themselves feeling safer or is this part of the code hiding somewhere I havent been able to find? I obviously dont want to break the law, but I also dont want the police infringing upon my freedoms. Anyone have any insight? Thanks!!

never heard that...

I read through the Indiana gun code twice before purchasing my weapon and getting my ccp. I never saw anything about having/not having a round in the chamber. Since I often carry with a round in the chamber, I'd like to know the answer to this. As I type this, a question comes to mind...a revolver always has a round in the chamber if it's fully populated. How would they account for that?

I've never heard, read, or been informed about any regulation in Indiana regarding an empty/filled chamber. Just like the question of open vs. concealed carry, use your own good judgement, since they're both legal.

I have a DAO revolver with no hammer spur and a hammer safety. There's no way for the hammer itself to reach the firing pin, even if you literally took a hammer to my hammer. It's inherently safe, so I carry a round in every chamber.

Now, if my revolver was an older style where the firing pin was an integral part of the hammer and the spur stuck up, I'd prolly leave the chamber under the hammer empty.

I talked to a LEO at work today. Open carry is legal here in Indiana, but in urban areas is frowned upon. Also, there is no law regarding a round in the chamber or not.

Last edited:
When "frowned upon" is codified in the Indiana Code, I'll give a flying fig. Until then, when I go about my daily life armed, I'm always assuming I'm going to print and someone's gonna freak out and call the cops on me.

When "frowned upon" is codified in the Indiana Code, I'll give a flying fig. Until then, when I go about my daily life armed, I'm always assuming I'm going to print and someone's gonna freak out and call the cops on me.

I was simply repeating what the LEO told me. I'm talking about open carry, not CC. I know that open carry is our right, and I'm all for it. I'll probably open carry sometimes. I'm simply telling you guys what I was told by one of the Whiting PD LEOs from where I work.

I was simply repeating what the LEO told me. I'm talking about open carry, not CC. I know that open carry is our right, and I'm all for it. I'll probably open carry sometimes. I'm simply telling you guys what I was told by one of the Whiting PD LEOs from where I work.

I can't find anywhere that says open carry is legal without an Indiana concealed weapon permit.

How about possession on a company property when the Company Forbids it in their by laws?
Also, what's the wait on Permits lately?

I talked to a LEO at work today. Open carry is legal here in Indiana, but in urban areas is frowned upon. Also, there is no law regarding a round in the chamber or not.
I open carried on a trip through Indiana on a non-resident Utah & Pa LTC recently. If anyone noticed I wasn't aware of it. Didn't encounter any LEOs so I don't know if any would have frowned. I was legal so what if it doesn't give them a smilie face. LEOs should enforce laws as the are not as they'd like the laws to be.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back