AB-288 (Castle Doctrine bill) in Jeopardy

AB-288 (Castle Doctrine) is in jeopardy of not even receiving a committee hearing to discuss the merits of the bill. AB-288 is a good bill and deserves your support. As introduced, AB-288 states that if you use deadly force and (a) are not the agressor, (b) have a right to be present where you use deadly force, and (c) are not engaged in a criminal act when you use deadly force, then you cannot be sued civilly if (1) there is a presumption that you had a reasonable fear of death or bodily injury to yourself or another person during a burglary or invasion of home, and (2) that presumption is overcome by clear and convincing evidence to the contrary of the civil action. This presumption would be extended to to circumstances in which you were in your vehicle and the agressor was committing grand larceny of your vehicle with the use/threatened use of a deadly weapon. You would then be immune from civil liability.

Please email, write, call or fax and urge a fair hearing of AB-288 in the Assembly Judiciary Committee:

Anderson, Bernie
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]
Chairman, Judiciary Committee

Segerblom, Tick
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]
Vice Chair, Jud Cmte

Carpenter, John
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

Cobb, Ty
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

Dondero Loop, Marilyn
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

Gustavson, Don
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

Hambrick, John
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

Horne, William
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

Kihuen, Ruben
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

Manendo, Mark
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

McArthur, Richard
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

Mortenson, Harry
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

Ohrenschall, James
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

Parnell, Bonnie
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

Text of the bill, as introduced: www.leg.state.nv.us/75th2009/Bills/AB/AB288.pdf

AB-288 bill status & history: Link Removed

Vote/Share your opinion (optionally type a comment): Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
The gloves are off.

It is common knowledge that Assemblyman Bernie Anderson, D-Washoe #31, does NOT like AB-288 and is using his enormous power as Chairman of the Judiciary Committee. He is ignoring his colleagues and constituents and indicates he will not allow the bill to be heard – effectively killing the bill.

What can you do? Exercise your right to communicate with elected representatives! Email, write, call, fax or visit them. Urge them to schedule a fair hearing for AB-288. Key Assemblymen:
Speaker of the Assembly, Barbara Buckley, D-Clark County #8 [email protected]
Assembly Majority Leader, John Oceguera, D-Clark County #16 [email protected]
Judiciary Committee Chairman, Bernie Anderson, D-Washoe County #31 [email protected]
And, of course, contact your elected assemblyman. Urge every assemblyman to fight for a complete and fair hearing of AB-288.

We can still prevail, but we must act in concert.

The deadline for hearing a bill is April 10.

Since AB-288 has not been scheduled for a hearing, NOW is the time to act.

AB-288 is a great bill and right for Nevada. It is co-sponsored by 19 other assemblymen from both political parties. But it will die unless we get involved to ensure it receives a Judiciary Committee hearing. Again, the deadline for hearing bills is April 10, 2009, so please write/call soon!

Last edited:
The gloves are off.

It is common knowledge that Assemblyman Bernie Anderson, D-Washoe #31, does NOT like AB-288 and is using his enormous power as Chairman of the Judiciary Committee. He is ignoring his colleagues and constituents and indicates he will not allow the bill to be heard – effectively killing the bill.

What can you do? Exercise your right to communicate with elected representatives! Email, write, call, fax or visit them. Urge them to schedule a fair hearing for AB-288. Key Assemblymen:
Speaker of the Assembly, Barbara Buckley, D-Clark County #8 [email protected]
Assembly Majority Leader, John Oceguera, D-Clark County #16 [email protected]
Judiciary Committee Chairman, Bernie Anderson, D-Washoe County #31 [email protected]
And, of course, contact your elected assemblyman. Urge every assemblyman to fight for a complete and fair hearing of AB-288.

We can still prevail, but we must act in concert.

The deadline for hearing a bill is April 10.

Since AB-288 has not been scheduled for a hearing, NOW is the time to act.

AB-288 is a great bill and right for Nevada. It is co-sponsored by 19 other assemblymen from both political parties. But it will die unless we get involved to ensure it receives a Judiciary Committee hearing. Again, the deadline for hearing bills is April 10, 2009, so please write/call soon!

What is wrong with this guy? He likes to sabotage everything.

What is wrong with this guy? He likes to sabotage everything.
I think it's more of an issue that he's depriving a village of their idiot. Fortunately he is term limited out. I do not know if he can run for State Senate though.

AB-288 dead

A quote from my good friend and fellow SFA lobbyist:
Today is THE last day to attempt to get AB288 on the table. Send your emails now. Make your phone calls today. Whether or not it gets a hearing in Judiciary, make SURE that Asm Anderson KNOWS without doubt that we want this bill to be heard. Make SURE that Assemblywoman Buckley KNOWS without doubt that Ams Anderson is not allowing it to be heard. Make SURE that the Sponsors and Co-Sponsors KNOW that we appreciate their support of AB288.

I couldn't have said it better!

I might add this: Even though the deadline is passing without AB-288 receiving a committee hearing, we need to continue to let them know our displeasure. Now. And through the end of this legislative session. And through our state legislators terms of office!

There is absolutely NO doubt in my mind that Assemblyman Bernie Anderson completely ignored his constituents, his colleagues (AB-288 had bi-partisan co-sponsorship), and the people of Nevada.

I am thoroughly disgusted with Assemblyman Bernie Anderson (D, Washoe #31). I sent the following to him::
Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2009 4:43 PM
To: Anderson, Bernie Assemblyman
Cc: Bill Andrews; Dave Wright; James Smack; Sam McGuire; Horne, William Assemblyman; Cobb, Ty Assemblyman; Tick Segerblom; Kihuen, Ruben Assemblyman; McArthur, Richard Assemblyman; Manendo, Mark Assemblyman; Dondero Loop, Marilyn Assemblywoman; Hambrick, John Assemblyman; Carpenter, John Assemblyman; Mortenson, Harry Assemblyman; Gustavson, Don Assemblyman; Parnell, Bonnie Assemblywoman; Ohrenschall, James Assemblyman; Buckley, Barbara Assemblywoman; Pete Goicoechea; McGinness, Mike Senator; Oceguera, John Assemblyman
Subject: Jud Cmte/Legislative Process Failure

Dear Assemblyman Anderson,

I am shocked and appalled that you alone killed AB-288 by refusing to allow a hearing.

AB-288 was a bi-partisan bill with 20 sponsors - virtually HALF of the Nevada Assembly. Of the 20 sponsors, 12 were Democrats.

It is my humble opinion that you have shirked your duties as Chairman of the Judiciary Committee. Does a committee chairman NOT have fiduciary responsibilities to the people of Nevada? Why would you not want to let the committee examine the bill and weigh its merits? I'll opine there can be only one reason: You simply did not like the bill and allowed your prejudices to prevail.

Methinks the general public will NOT understand why a bill with such widespread bi-partisan support was not given a fair hearing.

Sincerely,

J. L. Rhodes
Fallon

To which Assemblyman Anderson responded:
To: varminter22
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2009 6:32 PM
Subject: RE: Jud Cmte/Legislative Process Failure

Mr. Rhodes;

It so happens there were seven of the ninety-four bills that were sent to the Judiciary Committee for its much reduced hearing schedule-three days a week vs five- as we have had in earlier years. This Committee came back in the evening to finish some of the bills we heard and I created special sub-committees to hear others which met when they could passed in order to pass to the full body fifty-six proposals for the full consideration of the full Assembly. Since AB 288 carries with it most of the same provisions currently in Nevada law NO ONE could show me an incident in Nevada where this was needed. It is all what if? Or it happened over here like this? and does not match the Nevada experience. I am shocked you would think it was a good use of our time.

Bernie Anderson

To which I further responded:

To: Anderson, Bernie Assemblyman
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2009 7:04 PM
Subject: Re: Jud Cmte/Legislative Process Failure

Dear Mr Anderson,

Thank you for the reply.

We must agree to disagree.

While doing some great work, our legislature also considers/enacts many frivolous and unnecessary bills/laws. To insinuate AB-288 would not truly benefit law-abiding Nevadans is a revealing and shocking statement.

I continue to believe you really "missed the boat" on AB-288. Your failure was a disservice to the people of Nevada and your (currently majority) party.

Respectfully,

J. L. Rhodes
Fallon

And, the following is from the NRA (Link Removed
Assembly Bill 288 fell victim to the April 10 bill deadline and is now dead for the 2009 legislative session. Unfortunately, the Chair of the Judiciary Committee refused to schedule it for a hearing despite the numerous phone calls and emails generated by NRA members into the committee.

Introduced by Assemblyman Harry Mortenson (D-42), AB288 would have permitted a person who is behaving lawfully to use deadly force in self-defense against someone who is attempting to commit a felony and who is unlawfully, forcefully, and without provocation intruding onto property where the defender has a right to be. The defender would not have had to retreat and would have been protected from civil liability.

Rest assured that this important self-defense issue will return for the 2011 session.

Copyright 2009, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.
This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.
11250 Waples Mill Road, Fairfax, VA 22030 800-392-8683

I continue to believe Assemblyman Bernie Anderson simply and completely ignored his consitutents, his colleagues, and the people of Nevada.

I would encourage everyone to continue to voice your opinion of Bernie Anderson's FAILURE to allow a fair hearing for AB-288. I would recommend the same email/correspondence be sent to the Speaker of the Assembly, the Majority AND Minority Leaders, all assemblymen of the Judiciciary Committee, and YOUR Assemblyman. What the heck, send to the entire Assembly!

You might think, "It will do no good. AB-288 is dead." Well, AB-288 is dead, but it is vitally important to let them know what you think - and it might very well help the cause in the next legislative session! And it might send a message to the next Judciiary Committee Chariman (and others.)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back