Quick question...

Lanearas

I'm likely moving to Colorado in the coming months, and I intend to get a CO CCW as soon as I get settled. One thing I haven't seen mentioned are any laws/regulations requiring handgun registration. Coming from Las Vegas, we are required to register all handguns, and I wnat to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

Thanks!!

Colo Gun Registration ... NOT

No such crazy rule in Colorado. In fact I thought such laws were illegal in the USA.

Register Individual Guns?

Holy smokes? If we had to register our individual guns, we'd run out of paper here in Colorado!:sarcastic:

If you're here during the last weekend in March (27, 28, & 29), come to the Link Removed and celebrate your new found freedom.

The event is about an hour and a half from Denver and is probably the most darn fun you'll ever have with your clothes on. Link Removed!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I'm making a "scouting" trip in early April, and our move is scheduled for late June. I'm glad to hear I don't need to put up with the registration nonsense. Here in Vegas, all handguns must be registered, and your permit specifies specific makes/models that you can carry (you have to qualify on each weapon & have it added to your permit). Colorado looks to be far less hassle!

Thanks again!

Tom

You have 90 days to get your CO CCW once you get your CO DL. Keep in mind that CO only honors non-resident CCWs during your 90 day grace period to get their CCW once you become a resident so if you have a one of several States on the Link Removed you should be good there for the 90 days.

CO doesn't honor my Nevada permit, so I'll be taking care of that as soon as I settle in.
There's a loophole in Link Removed. Once you become a CO resident, you can legally carry on any State's CCW on the Link Removed for 90 days. Residency per CRS being the State that issues your DL.

The quickest option for you if you don't have any other State on the CBI reciprocity list would be to get NH or possibly PA with an issuance time frame of two to four weeks. This will give you a CCW option in CO until your CO CCW arrives once you are issued a CO DL.

There's a loophole in Link Removed. Once you become a CO resident, you can legally carry on any State's CCW on the Link Removed for 90 days. Residency per CRS being the State that issues your DL.

The quickest option for you if you don't have any other State on the CBI reciprocity list would be to get NH or possibly PA with an issuance time frame of two to four weeks. This will give you a CCW option in CO until your CO CCW arrives.

Great research netentity!

gf

Great research netentity!
I followed the CO bill in 2007 that removed non-resident reciprocity really closely. I did mention that in my e-mail exchange with the CO legislature in 2007. The only amendment the CO legislature made was the 90 day grace period for new CO residents. Whether it was my recommendation or not I don't know.

I mis-read that prior to posting. NV isn't on the CO reciprocity list, so my permit is irrelevant once I move. I'm not too concerned, as I'll just be getting my CO permit as soon as possible. Thanks!

I mis-read that prior to posting. NV isn't on the CO reciprocity list, so my permit is irrelevant once I move. I'm not too concerned, as I'll just be getting my CO permit as soon as possible. Thanks!
Yes but you can get a NH or PA before you move and carry on those in CO for 90 days once you get a CO DL. It's your choice. I'm a strong advocate for people having the license/permit combination that gives them the maximum yield of States. NV isn't that great of a permit to have recognition wise.

<nods> I rarely travel though, so it's never been an issue for me. In addition, I usually open carry rather than conceal carry, therefore I'll just avoid Denver until I get squared away. Thanks again for the info!

Tom

In addition, I usually open carry rather than conceal carry, therefore I'll just avoid Denver until I get squared away.

You got it. Open carry is generally legal everywhere in CO outside of Denver. Of course any merchant can prohibit OC or CC at will. The only way a local government can prohibit OC is

CRS 29-11.7-104
A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

I made the move to Englewood almost two weeks ago, and have been open carrying with no issues since my NV permit is useless here, and I need to be an official CO resident before I can apply for a conceal permit. That said, I have a new question for when I apply for the permit. One of the permit requirements is:

8. Demonstrates competence with a handgun by one of the following means:
a. evidence of experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competitions or current military service
b. certified firearms instructor
c. honorable discharge from the Armed Forces within past three yearss
d. proof of pistol qualification in Armed Forces within past ten years, if discharged
e. retired law enforcement with pistol qualification within past ten years
f. proof of completion of a handgun training class within the past ten years

In reference to para. f, I have a copy with an original signature from the course instructor of the CCW class that I took in Nevada, which includes qualifying with my weapon. It would seem that this would be acceptable proof. Any reason that this might not be accepted?

Once again thanks for the help!!

Tom

I made the move to Englewood almost two weeks ago, and have been open carrying with no issues since my NV permit is useless here, and I need to be an official CO resident before I can apply for a conceal permit. That said, I have a new question for when I apply for the permit. One of the permit requirements is:

In reference to para. f, I have a copy with an original signature from the course instructor of the CCW class that I took in Nevada, which includes qualifying with my weapon. It would seem that this would be acceptable proof. Any reason that this might not be accepted?
Ask the Sheriff's office you're applying through. They will be the one ultimately approving it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back