Check your spare mags!!

Sheldon

I finally broke down and ordered some new Factory mags to replace my aftermarket HK USP 12 round spares I carry. Aftermarket may look close but there is a difference on how smooth they work....

So when the new ones came today I quickly pulled the Spares from my mag pouch I carry and proceeded to unload them.

First one was OK other than being aftermarket...

Second one felt strange when I unloaded it, the inside was packed full of LINT!!! Yes it still Mt's OK but it could have been a serious issue, lint was packed on/in everything on this one mag!

I do a daily on my gun, and give the spares a look over and a tap on the hand to make sure the rounds are all seated properly, but I am at a loss as to why just to one mag did this... But to anyone else MT and check your spare mags!!!!

The mag may have had excessive grease or other lubricant from the factory. I've noticed this problem with various mags from various manufacturers. I teach my students to clean their mags when they clean their firearm. Not necessarily every time they go to the range, but at least every 3rd or 4th time, but do be sure to check the mags for any dirt, dust or heavy debris build up. Over lubricating firearms and magazines often causes numerous problems ranging from misfeeds and excessive smoking to in some cases actual broken internal components.

gf

I've come up with another theory, I do not oil my mags, but the mag that was full of lint was the rear one in my pouch and would have been rubbed the most by my winter coat.... BTY the other mags were clean...

I treat all my mags as daily and rotate frequently and load and use them all when I go shooting. I dont store my spare but use them

I finally broke down and ordered some new Factory mags to replace my aftermarket HK USP 12 round spares I carry. Aftermarket may look close but there is a difference on how smooth they work....

So when the new ones came today I quickly pulled the Spares from my mag pouch I carry and proceeded to unload them.

First one was OK other than being aftermarket...

Second one felt strange when I unloaded it, the inside was packed full of LINT!!! Yes it still Mt's OK but it could have been a serious issue, lint was packed on/in everything on this one mag!

I do a daily on my gun, and give the spares a look over and a tap on the hand to make sure the rounds are all seated properly, but I am at a loss as to why just to one mag did this... But to anyone else MT and check your spare mags!!!!

Come on Sheldon tell the truth. You left it in your pocket and ran it through the wash!! lol

Nope never happened, I have a Nylon clip pouch that stays on the belt when I am out n about, but I pull when at home.

I rotate them now but with the aftermarket ones I just did not fully trust them as well as the factory mag...

12 round Factory mags were next to impossible to obtain so when the Outdoors-man guide had a aftermarket 3 pack for 60 bucks I jumped at them, n had to add the "Wolf" springs to get them to function properly. But falling in line with "how much is your life worth" I figured 3 new factory 12 rounder's for a tad over 200 was a bargin....

I have "carry" mags and "training" mags. I am pretty hard on my "training" mags and they usually end up pretty nasty before it is all done. Every so often I purchase new mags and then I rotate those to the "carry" mags and then have more "training" mags.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back