Who Carries A 1911 As Your Self Defense Gun

Believe it or not... I carry a Taurus 5 inch 1911 government model in winter. The only place I can fit it on my body is in an Fist Kydex IWB in the small of the back. In warmer weather you will catch me with a Kahr P45

I carry a S&W Sigma 9mm, but now purchased a Glock 36. Once I get used to the Glock, that'll be my primary carry:pleasantry:

I also carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II. and have for a few years. I have been a 1911 guy ever since I fired my father's model 80 that he carried on duty as a LOE. Wheel guns have there time and place, but the 1911 will always be number 1 to me

I carry the full size RIA Tactical 5" in a Ross Leather IWB - 6'2 240 LBS - plenty of room to hide it:biggrin:

Ammo?

I tried Gold Dot, Glaser Safety and Federal Premium Hydra-Shok hollow points and the Federal Premium is what I ended up sticking with. I liked the concept of the Glaser rounds but no one in my town carries them and I'm not a huge fan of internet ordering every single batch of ammo so I stuck with the Federal Premium. I was very happy to find that their Hydra-Shok comes in regular and low-recoil in several calibers.

Wolf 230 grain FMJ steel case for plinking. Magtech 230 grain FMJ for carry. I don't see what's wrong with a little penetration when you're talking about the slower moving .45. I'll probably get some hydra shock just for the carry clips when I'm not so lazy or cheap.

The Ammoman and The Armory are top notch for internet purchase sites. I've also boought from Cheaper Than Dirt and Cabelas. I've not had a problem so far. I know what I'm looking for, so I just check stock and price. All sent via ground, and I always get mine within 10 days of order for in stock items. I've not found anything as cheaply priced locally than what's on the internet. Example would be PMC 223 is close to double the price at the gun store than online

Full size Kimber Custom TLE II, with a Galco Jackass shoulder holster,with two spare 8 rd. mags.

I carry a Para LTC nearly every time I carry (which is whenever I leave the house). I use a variety of holsters, but primarily an IWB summer special style one. It works out well and is easy to conceal with the right clothing choices.

Used to carry a S&W 5" 1911 and now I carry a S&W 4.25" 1911PD. I also will carry a G30 in a shoulder rig from time to time. S&W 340PD snubbie in .357 and a M&P 9mm. I really prefer the 4.25" 1911.

Hello
I was curious as to how many of carry a 1911 for your SD gun.
And also if you know of any law enforcement/Military that carry 1911's or where I could maybe find info on that please let me know.?
Thanks

I'm happy to see that a lot of people still carry a 1911 for SD. There is so much talk about the 1911 not being reliable, that it discourages a lot I think.
I mean really if you practice and take care of your weapon I don't think you would need to be concerned with any weapon.
After all what would the odds be, for a 1911 or any other hand gun failing on the first or even the 2nd or third shot fired?
If you should ever need your gun in SD situation The first one or three shots will most likely take of it. And I for one always carry a BUG of some kind anyway.
So what do you think the odds are of your SD gun not firing when you need it?

Even with some of the most unreliable weapons I have owned they would almost always fire a number of rds before a failure happened.

Ironhorse,

One of my carry guns is a Star Firestar M43. Love the gun, its just a little on the heavy side. Mostly carry it in the winter with a large jacket and a super slide holster.

Woody,

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back