Cross-eye dominant shooters?

Landavazoaj

I am a cross-eye dominant shooter, ie: I am right handed but my left eye is the dominant.
I've fumbled around the net before and found quite a few "sollutions" to this. Some were very wacky like wearing an eye patch, putting lotion on glasses on the dominant eye (to correct the problem while shooting) and some practical, like tilting your head.

The problem with all of the above IMHO is sure they may work for the range, but in a self-defense encounter I don't think you'll whip out your eye-patch or glasses with tape or lotion on them.

I tried to find a way to resolve this issue- not by trying to change my eye dominance but by accepting it and moving forward.

While shooting I stand in the so called "modern" isosceles stance

Rather than completely tilting my head, I make it a point to rest my cheek bone on my upper right arm and position my arms slightly left of center. Over the past couple of years this has helped me a great deal, and now is muscle memory.

Just thought i'd offer some advice to those with this very frustrating problem...

If anyone has a different method please share as this problem is VERY frustrating and can turn new shooters off very quickly.

I am a cross-eye dominant shooter, ie: I am right handed but my left eye is the dominant.
I've fumbled around the net before and found quite a few "sollutions" to this. Some were very wacky like wearing an eye patch, putting lotion on glasses on the dominant eye (to correct the problem while shooting) and some practical, like tilting your head.

The problem with all of the above IMHO is sure they may work for the range, but in a self-defense encounter I don't think you'll whip out your eye-patch or glasses with tape or lotion on them.

I tried to find a way to resolve this issue- not by trying to change my eye dominance but by accepting it and moving forward.

While shooting I stand in the so called "modern" isosceles stance

Rather than completely tilting my head, I make it a point to rest my cheek bone on my upper right arm and position my arms slightly left of center. Over the past couple of years this has helped me a great deal, and now is muscle memory.

Just thought i'd offer some advice to those with this very frustrating problem...

If anyone has a different method please share as this problem is VERY frustrating and can turn new shooters off very quickly.

I used to tend to look with my left eye when aiming when I first learned to shoot (age 10). I didn't totally correct the issue until I was 18. It was a pain to try to correct. Using my right eye now is natural for me. I have heard the eye patch thing works well. I never tried it. I honestly just kept practicing using my right eye instead of my left. Very discouraging to try to learn the proper way when your body tries to do something different....it can be corrected though

I have the same issue... right handed, dominant left eye. I have practiced just aiming and getting a good site picture with both eyes open. Doing so I have trained my dominant left eye to zero in on the front site. I do turn hy head slightly to the right so as not to get a "double" image of the site picture. Like you Landa... I tend to rest my chin on my upper right arm.

:pleasantry: I have the issue where whichever hand I am shoot that both eyes try to 'see' at the same time. on the range for target practice I will close my off eye forcing my shooting eye to acquire the target. During my rapid fire exercises I keep both eyes open.

In an attack you will not have time to acquire your target but you will be in a controlled panic/fight mode. You have to go on trained responses and try to make it through the encounter. :no:

I'm naturally left handed and left eye dominant. When I decided to start training to shoot right handed, I mirrored everything, including eyes. It just took some practice. Now I shoot right handed/right eye just as well as left and it feels natural.

I have the same issue... right handed, dominant left eye. I have practiced just aiming and getting a good site picture with both eyes open. Doing so I have trained my dominant left eye to zero in on the front site. I do turn hy head slightly to the right so as not to get a "double" image of the site picture. Like you Landa... I tend to rest my chin on my upper right arm.

I'm also right handed, left eye. This is how I do it as well. Sometimes I find myself closing my right eye which doesn't present a problem since that's how I've always done it, but I always try to shoot both eyes open. I shoot the rifle and shotguns using my right eye (non-dominant) with both eyes open just because there is no other option, but I've never had an issue with both eyes open with a rifle like I did (do) with a pistol.

Learn to shoot with the same hand as your "dominant eye". Cross eye dominance isn't too big of a problem with handguns, but may prove to be a HUGE problem with rifles and shotguns. If you're consistant in your shooting techniques, then it makes it a lot easier to transition between various firearms.

gfb

I was right handed right eye dominant until an eye injury at about age 18. During the healing my left eye took over and I've been left eye dominant since, over 30 years. I first noticed it playing baseball, I could no longer hit for average, and when I went shotgunning I was missing way too many birds.

I now close my left eye for aiming, it's second nature for me at this point. My right eye takes over and I hit what I aim at. It's the same theory of putting a bit of tape or grease on your left eye glasses to force the right eye to focus. I don't even think about it anymore, i'm just used to doing it.

BTW, my right eye fully recovered from the injury and was damaged/healing for only about 6 weeks so it doesn't take much to change a lifetime worth of eye dominance!

modern isosceles stance

I believe with practice you can resolve any physical or mental hiccups. Training aids are just that "aids" they are a crutch that are ment to be discarded after sufficient practice. It looks like you worked yours out the pretty much the same way I did. With the "modern" isosceles stance. However, I modify it by moving my left foot back about 8" which in turn pulls my left shoulder back, shortens my left arm and in turn pulls the firearm to my left eye. I also shoot with both eyes open. I have found this works well for me. I realize everybody is different and it really comes down to muscle memory. I hope this helps anybody still looking for a solution.

I find shooting handguns both eyes open easier in bright sunlight. Switching eyes has never really been a problem. In combat practice, I keep the shotgun on a sling and can switch from shotgun to handgun in a couple of seconds and be on target with both. I also find that if I use a slight right foot back stance it helps to put my left eye in better alignment. When I practice both eyes open, I'm still shooting left eye dominant. It would be nice to be right eye dominant, but I'm not sure it's worth trying to change at this point.

wow, I thought I was the only one lol. I read that it's more common for lefty's to have this problem. Also, in training we were taught that the isosceles should be used with all firearms. The theory is that you're trained and trained in this stance and is adaptable to any firearm- rather than resting the firearm on your shoulder you place the stock against your pectorial muscle and tuck your chin, I will say I don't reccomend this unless you're wearing a vest as it HURTS LIKE HELL

I am also right hand, left eye dominant. I find that I also tilt my head down with handguns. My problem comes with long guns and shotguns as mentioned above.I am fine with a scope. But I can't shoot accurately with open sights. I have to "lead" the target to hit accurately. What I mean is I have to adjust my firearm to my eyesight. Aim up and to the left to hit the bullseye.

I use reflex sights on my Remington 870 because I tend to use it in conjunction with a handgun. The rifle has a scope on it, but now and then I'll swap it out with a reflex sight. The reflex sight makes target acquisition very fast and easy with both eyes open. My skeet gun has open sights and I have no trouble but I shoot that with my left eye closed.

At last, other people with the same problem that I have! I'm right handed, but my right eye is a "lazy eye", in that it is turned to the right. I learned very early when I started shooting a rifle to shoot left handed, so almost 50 years later it is second nature to me, but tough to find left handed rifles and shotguns. For a handgun, it doesn't make much difference, as I can shoot about the same right or left handed. It just comes natural to modify my stance.

I cant see the sights with my right eye.everything is blurry so I had to learn to shoot with my left hand. I cant shoot a rifle left handed because of surgery on my elbow, so if I hope to shoot a rifle I'd have to do it with a scope right handed.

Right handed, left eye dominant, and astigmatism in right eye, so everything is blurry with it. I practice with right eye closed, I just hope I remember to to that if it is necessary.

Right handed, left eye dominant, and astigmatism in right eye, so everything is blurry with it. I practice with right eye closed, I just hope I remember to to that if it is necessary.

That's what I was getting at with this thread- not to knock you or anything but in a real situation I highly doubt that you'll be able to keep your right eye closed. My guess is that both eyes will be WIDE open, sweat pouring down your face, and maybe a little shake in your hand. It's called the "pucker" factor.

TRAIN HOW YOU FIGHT, FIGHT HOW YOU TRAIN.

I too am cross dominant, right hand left eye. I shoot with both eyes open all the time. I try to shoot with one eye closed and I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a handgun. I don't know what you would call my stance. I stand with my left foot forward about 45 degrees to my target with my left elbow bent and my right arm almost straight. Rifles I shoot left handed using my left eye. I have done it this way since I was a kid and have never tried to change it, I just shoot how it feels natural to me.

I didn't realize I had a problem till I tried to shoot right handed looking thru my left eye. all my rounds were hitting the far left side of the target. I'm thinking of getting a contact lens for my right eye so I can shoot my new rifle without a scope.

Another Right Hand, Left Eye

Right hand, left eye. I train at the range to close my right eye with a handgun. Much better than both eyes open. I am actually in process of switching to left hand for shotgun. Did a test with skeet last week and it was easier than I thought. I am hoping that this will dramatically improve duck hunting this fall.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back