Reloading Ammo?

Landavazoaj

Hey guys, with the prices of ammo skyrocketing, and most stores (online and local) being sold out, I started looking into reloading or maybe manufacturing my own 9mm rounds (for personal use).

I've been researching for a few days and thought i'd ask some of your opinions.

As far as the cost goes, just perusing online the materials including:

Brass, Powder, Primer, and the actual bullet equate to about 50% of what i'd pay retail in qty of 1000.

If I don't purchase the brass (and just reload those that i've personally fired) it will be closer to 35% what i'd pay retail.

I've seen several presses and i'm interested in the Lee Load Master as this is something i'm interested in doing.

I wanted some insight from people who reload, all the promo video's look great but how do these machines actually work, do you use a progressive press or a single stage? Do you use bullet and case feeders? Have you ever had an issue with a reloaded round?

If your comment is going to be "You're going to blow your hand off" or "you're going to damage your weapon" please link to a case where this has happened as I have looked and looked and found only what "could" happen and never what has happened.

Anyone else looking to get into this?

single stage

I use a single stage Lee press. I will eventually get a turret, but I don't see myself getting a progressive. Unless you shoot IDPA or something the single stage and turrets load fast enough.

How long would it take to reload say 100 rounds on a single stage?

I haven't priced any single stage but the progressive press goes for around 300 I was expecting to pay over 1000 for a single stage (didn't know ANYTHING about it before a few days ago) Is there some reason why you prefer the single stage?

I use the RCBS Rockchucker--single stage. After all the case preps are done--dropping the powder and seating bullets I can do about 50 per hour.
I got a used Lee turret press a few months ago but I haven't started using it yet--a buddy just sent me 50 lbs of once fired 9mm brass--so I'll be stting up the turret soon.
If your shooting 1000 rds per week you may want to go with a progressive--once you get it down you should be able to do 1000 rds in 2-3 hours

I have only ever loaded with a single stage. I like it because I have total control over the process especially dropping the powder. Even when I use a mechanical powder dropper I still find myself weighing each load just because sometimes the loads can be a little off.
I've only been reloading for about 3 years and I've never had any kind of problem.
Just take your time and be sure to follow all instructions and you'll be fine.

When you figure out the load you want--be sure to just make about 25 rds or so and go test fire them. If you like them then go for it. If you don't then you can work up a different load.
Nothing would be worse than loading up 1000 rds and find out they don't work for you

I use a Dillon 550 progressive for 9mm, .40 S&W, .45acp, .38/.357, and .223 Rem.

I use a Lee single stage press for 454 Casull, .30-06 and .308.

I can load about 300 rounds per hour with the Dillon and some people can load up to 500 in the same time.

I'd base your decision on how much free time you have and what quantities you'll be reloading.

A manual will provide recipes for you. You can fine tune your load with adjustments between the Min and Max powder levels. Using a different BRAND of primer can also provide smaller adjustments. Going over the Max is hazardous. I've never been brave/dumb enough to try it. I let the guys with instruments to check chamber pressures do that.

Great info guys, I really appreciate it.

Anyone brave enough to cast their own bullets? lol

Also, can someone let me know if i've got the gist of it down (still plan on buying several books)

Obtain all needed materials- brass, powder, primers, bullets, tumbler media
Obtain all equipment- Tubler, press with all dies and attachments required/desired

Check brass for cracked necks or other signs of excessive damage.
Load tumbler media into tumbler.
Load brass into tumbler, turn on- wait for ____hrs per manufacture specs or until polished/clean of residue.
check brass for cracked necks or other signs of excessive damage
Load into case feeder (progressive press)
Load bullets into bullet feeder (progressive press)
load powder into powder dispenser
load primers into primer dispenser
Pull handle on press until at th powder dispenser portion
weigh powder that was dispensed into case with an accurate scale
put back on press and continue
check powder at 10-20 intervals to ensure consistent loads

I know there is probably more involved in setting up the machine, etc but am I on the right track?

I just started gathering up materials to start reloading. I bought a Dillon 550 ,like new, for $330. I have finally found everything I need to start loading. As of last night, primers are almost impossible to find. I have searched and searched online and everyone is out of stock. I called around at lunch to some small shops in the area and found 2 bricks of large pistol but by the time I could get there they were sold. The shop owner told me he called all 5 of his distributors and they all laughed when he said he want to order some primers.

Reloading components are getting as scarce as loaded ammo and when you can find it, it's over priced. Almost to the extent that you can't save any money reloading, but if the stores don't have any ammo, at least you can make some.

Scharch Mfg Inc., Top Brass, 1-800-836-4683 I just received 2000 once fired 9mm for $69. They have processed brass and new brass also. Virtually any pistol case and .223's, processed/primed $143/1000 and .308's, $163/1000. Their shipping rates are good, I have no regrets in dealing with them.

Mija

Semper Paratus

Reloading equipment is flying off the shelves. If you have the time to do it, you will probably not save money, just be able to shoot more. :wink:

Check out Lee factory sales they sell the Load Master for 214 set up in one caliber ready to go hope this helps

Reloading equipment is flying off the shelves. If you have the time to do it, you will probably not save money, just be able to shoot more. :wink:

We were shooting the same 500-1000 rounds per week before reloading that we shoot now. I can say that we are definitely saving money. I see where you're coming from though. A person shooting $100 worth of ammo per week which may be 200 (45ACP) rounds may be inclined to shoot the same dollar amount in reloads which would be about 550 rounds.

I'm using a Dillon 550 progressive and can do 400 rounds per hour if I lock the doors and turn off the phone, 300 taking my time.

I just took my first batch of handloads out to the range today. 45 acp using a Dillon 550 B. It is quite a sense of accomplishment, and it saves money. Can't wait to start loading .223

I was nervous at first, but now I just want to load up more and go back to the range. Just gotta pay attention and not get any double charges or anything stupid like that.

You can save about 55-75% by reloading. If you turn around and start blasting away 5000 rounds every weekend you are not going to save squat.

A 1000$ progressive loader is nice but you do not actually need it, a single stage will do the same thing only slower.

Once you can no longer buy ammo you will be damned glad you got into reloading and stocked up.

Mija

Semper Paratus

I use a Lee Loadmaster Midway sells them for around $250.00. Comes with everything you need for one caliber. I've had mine for about 20 years and have loaded around 100,000 rounds and still going. There are a few plastic parts that require periodic replacement, but Lee replaces them free as long as you send them the bad part. I have a few extras so I can send in more than one at a time.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back