NRA, Utah gun lobby squabble over permit bill

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
A state lawmaker's bill to eliminate out-of-state instructors from Utah's concealed-carry permit process has triggered a fight between the National Rifle Association and the state gun lobby.

Accepted in 33 states, Utah's concealed-carry permit is considered the platinum card of permits. But problems with out-of-state instructors raised some concerns.

Utah Rep. Curt Oda, R-Clearfield, initially proposed a bill to eliminate out-of-state instructors. He's now swapped it for an unseen proposal after pressure from the National Rifle Association.

Gun Owners of Utah policy director Charles Hardy says his organization fears the new bill won't take care of the problems. He says they had hoped to have the NRA's help in addressing the issue of problem inspectors.

Source: Link Removed

One of the things that annoys me about Go!Utah and the UT Sports Shooting Council is that they think their fecal matter doesn't offend. The problem was caused by Utah BCI doing little to nothing to police the current instructors they have; resident and non-resident. I am not condemning them as BCI has very limited resources to investigate instructors.

I'm glad that UT State Rep C. Oda substituted the bill because it puts the Utah CCW Review Board on task to deal with the issue.

A state lawmaker's bill to eliminate out-of-state instructors from Utah's concealed-carry permit process has triggered a fight between the National Rifle Association and the state gun lobby.

Accepted in 33 states, Utah's concealed-carry permit is considered the platinum card of permits. But problems with out-of-state instructors raised some concerns.

Utah Rep. Curt Oda, R-Clearfield, initially proposed a bill to eliminate out-of-state instructors. He's now swapped it for an unseen proposal after pressure from the National Rifle Association.

Gun Owners of Utah policy director Charles Hardy says his organization fears the new bill won't take care of the problems. He says they had hoped to have the NRA's help in addressing the issue of problem inspectors.

Source: Link Removed

Stirring up these problems can only serve to hurt in the long run.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back