Dallas Gun Buyback Program Nets 147 Firearms

HK4U

Dallas city officials claim the streets are a little safer after a gun buyback and safety event held Saturday at Reunion Arena. Beating swords into ploughshares. Swapping serial numbers for cereal boxes. Citizens exchanged 147 working firearms for grocery store gift cards.

"They're $50 grocery cards," explained Dallas public information officer Frank Librio. "The folks'll get one grocery card for each weapon they turn in today."

The turned-in firearms were all kinds of calibers, long guns and handguns. One person even turned in a pretty sophisticated assault weapon.

Police inspected the weapons to make sure they were not tied to any crimes. If so, then they are held as evidence only. But officers did not run background checks on the donors. This was not a sting.

Kenneth Davis swapped two rifles that he inherited and a handgun. "They're just taking up space around the house," he said. "So, I brought them in."

"It's a worthwhile cause," said donor Cal Nunnally. "They were sitting around. It's in my best interests just to bring'em down."

"We weren't using it. Too much crime out here anyway," said donor Roy Collier. He and his family gave up a sawed off rifle. He said that the $50 of food will certainly come in handy.

Interest in the program was apparently pretty high. A steady stream of people came through, roughly 20 t o 30 people in line at all times since the doors opened in the morning.

"Got my grandkids staying with me," said donor Wayne Lovell. "I don't need them messing around with the gun, and I've got no use for it."

Bryron Goebel has daughters aged 3 and 6, and now no longer owns a rifle. "Too many guns out there that are not properly protected from kids or from society, so this is a great event," he said.

Source: Link Removed

Gee i feel so much safer now.:sarcastic:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm

The article says 20-30 people in line at all times, but they only get 147 firearms. Someone is not telling the truth.:pleasantry:

At 5 minutes per turn-in, that's 12+manhours. If they handled 2 or 3 turn-ins at a time, it's still 4-6 hours. 20 to 30 people in line is possible.

By the way, the last turn-in program in Florida was giving away $100 Bestbuy cards per gun. Does this mean the price of guns has gone down?

These "turn-ins" happen all the time all over the US. I best these people who are hard up could have sold their guns for higher price at a local pawn shop.

More lambs for the Sacrifice

The article says 20-30 people in line at all times, but they only get 147 firearms. Someone is not telling the truth.:pleasantry:

I agree Jes, someone is not telling the truth, what fools they are; whether the guns were being used or not.

Why do I think I'd be standing toward the back of the line offering $100 cash for good stuff?

It also doesn't mention if they are checked to see if they have been reported stolen so they can be returned to their rightful owners. Sometimes these programs don't WANT them checked, just destroyed.

Here in Chicago they usually pay $100, but despite what is said and shown on TV, they usually get mostly junkers. King Daley dosen't care, as long ais he looks like he's fighting crime.

Why do I think I'd be standing toward the back of the line offering $100 cash for good stuff?

It also doesn't mention if they are checked to see if they have been reported stolen so they can be returned to their rightful owners. Sometimes these programs don't WANT them checked, just destroyed.

From the article: "Police inspected the weapons to make sure they were not tied to any crimes. If so, then they are held as evidence only. But officers did not run background checks on the donors. This was not a sting."

If they are too sheepish to use them for self defense, and will not properly secure them, well, ... It bothers me anyway.

Something smells wrong here...

I'm with you, Jes. The comments reported sound like standard anti rhetoric to me. I have a hard time believing that gun owners would espouse views like:

"They're just taking up space around the house, so, I brought them in."

"They were sitting around. It's in my best interests just to bring'em down." (Sound like programming to you, too?)

"We weren't using it. Too much crime out here anyway," (A good reason to keep a firearm, no? Doesn't sound plausible.)

"Too many guns out there that are not properly protected from kids or from society, so this is a great event," (Um, Brady campaign worker, anyone?)

Yeah, I think that this is bunk. I wish that someone would keep up with these "neighborhood people" and see where they really live. Ridiculous.
:no:

Speaking from personal observation

While I was approaching and buying firearms from the people standing in line at one of these events.....before the police told me to get lost, or get arrested.........

I subsequently noticed that there were "2" lines.

Cops brought a number of junk weapons, which they substituted for the nicer, higher up firearms being brought in.

The cops then went home with their new toys, for a deep, deep, discount. Go figure.

Well, if they were leaving them lying around the house with children, grandchildren, idiot adults running around, I think it is a good move to get them away from those folks before a tragedy happens.

Sure, some of the guns (like the "sophisticated assault rifle") were probably worth a lot more than $50 but these don't sound much like people I would want to have guns if they didn't care enough to learn their value or secure them properly.

I still think I should buy a bunch of gift cards and hold my own Gun Turn In program. 147 guns @ $50 = 147 guns for $735

While I was approaching and buying firearms from the people standing in line at one of these events.....before the police told me to get lost, or get arrested.........

I subsequently noticed that there were "2" lines.

Cops brought a number of junk weapons, which they substituted for the nicer, higher up firearms being brought in.

The cops then went home with their new toys, for a deep, deep, discount. Go figure.

You need to get that on film. I am sure that's illegal or at the very least against department policy.

You need to get that on film. I am sure that's illegal or at the very least against department policy.
Or at likely "official" department policy :)

I'm sure that most of this stuff is junk, but probability says that some of these things have historic value and they are just going off to the crusher. A shame.

I still think I should buy a bunch of gift cards and hold my own Gun Turn In program. 147 guns @ $50 = 147 guns for $735

147 x 50 = 7350. Still well worth it though.

If they don't want it, for whatever reason, well, whatever. To each his own. I just can't believe that the announcement of a buy-back event is the first time it occures to these dunces that they now have a chance to get some money for their gun. Gun shows, gun auction websites, gun stores, the newspaper, craigslist. Even a frikin pawn shop will give you more than $50 for a semi-decent gun.

147 x 50 = 7350. Still well worth it though.

If they don't want it, for whatever reason, well, whatever. To each his own. I just can't believe that the announcement of a buy-back event is the first time it occures to these dunces that they now have a chance to get some money for their gun. Gun shows, gun auction websites, gun stores, the newspaper, craigslist. Even a frikin pawn shop will give you more than $50 for a semi-decent gun.

Most of the people that show up with their guns at these event are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

These "turn-ins" happen all the time all over the US. I best these people who are hard up could have sold their guns for higher price at a local pawn shop.

Exactly. How F@@@ink stupid are these people. Even if you don't want the gun. Go to a pawn shop.
Stupid sheeple.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back