Taurus Millennium PT111 Pro - 9mm

fdegree

I am extremely new to guns, especially hand guns, so my observations and terminology may need a lot of work. Anyway, I recently bought the Taurus Millennium PT111 Pro - 9mm.

It is DA/SA, but it appears to me the only time it will act as DA is when there is a misfire. Every time the slide goes back, the internal hammer is cocked. Therefore, carrying with a round in the chamber results in this gun being SA while in the holster. As a result of this, I need to engage the safety.

I would like to have it DA on the first shot, SA after the first. I've tried loading the first round (snap caps) into the chamber while pulling back on the trigger at the same time...still ends up as SA.

Am I overlooking something?
Is there a way around this?
Am I worrying over nothing?

I tend to over analyze things sometimes, so correct any bad thoughts I may have.

Last edited:
The only way to get a SA/DA to fire DA on the first shot is to decock it, but your gun does not have a decocker, so I'm inclined to say no, there is not a way to do what you want to do. If I recall, that gun has a fairly long trigger pull which is basically the safety. I can't remember if it has a manual safety. I remember the guy at the gun show explaining that it would only function in DA mode after a misfire.

The only way to get a SA/DA to fire DA on the first shot is to decock it, but your gun does not have a decocker, so I'm inclined to say no, there is not a way to do what you want to do. If I recall, that gun has a fairly long trigger pull which is basically the safety. I can't remember if it has a manual safety. I remember the guy at the gun show explaining that it would only function in DA mode after a misfire.

Thanks for the response...I appreciate it!!!

I don't have enough experience to compare the length of the trigger pull. Though, as SA it does seem to have a lengthy travel. But, again, I'm not one to trust on that.

As for the manual safety...yes it does have one that snaps in place nicely. I suppose this is my only option. So...practice...practice...practice

It depends on how comfortable you are with the trigger pull, but you might want to consider carrying with the safety off. Flipping the safety is one of those fine motor skills that pretty much go out the window under high stress. If you carry with the safety on, just dry fire practice lots. It takes about 3000 repetitions to develop muscle memory. My PT92 has a combination decocker/safety. I carry it decocked with the safety off.

I'm not familiar with the PT111 Pro, so I've held off from commenting, but use the manual safety if the hammer is back. If the gun has a decocker, use it to lower the hammer and the weapon will fire DA when needed. If there is no decocker, someone familiar with the gun can tell you if you can manually lower the hammer and fire DA when needed.

It depends on how comfortable you are with the trigger pull, but you might want to consider carrying with the safety off. Flipping the safety is one of those fine motor skills that pretty much go out the window under high stress. If you carry with the safety on, just dry fire practice lots. It takes about 3000 repetitions to develop muscle memory. My PT92 has a combination decocker/safety. I carry it decocked with the safety off.

I have not yet fired the gun...can't seem to get to the range...long story. I have practiced with snap caps.

I am very familiar with the loss of fine motor skills and the need for repetition...I've been involved with the martial arts for many years (even owned my own school for 7 years).

I need a lot of range time and dry fire time...practice...practice...practice.

Thanks again!!!

I'm not familiar with the PT111 Pro, so I've held off from commenting, but use the manual safety if the hammer is back. If the gun has a decocker, use it to lower the hammer and the weapon will fire DA when needed. If there is no decocker, someone familiar with the gun can tell you if you can manually lower the hammer and fire DA when needed.

Thanks for your input, but...

...there is no decocker. The hammer is internal. I have not figured out a way to lower the hammer without pulling the trigger. Unless someone with a secret come along, it appears this will be a SA gun unless there is a misfire.

Thanks again!!!

Double Action Only

Your pistol is double action only. I carry the PT 145 Pro model. The only time your gun is cocked is when you pull back on the trigger. When the trigger pull is all the way to the rear, the firing pin is released and the firing pin then strikes the primer.

Try all you may, you cannot EVER cock this gun and have at stay cocked. Carry it with a round in the chamber and flip the safety on.

You may want to consider selling it to me and buying a revolver... :sarcastic::laugh:

Your pistol is double action only. I carry the PT 145 Pro model. The only time your gun is cocked is when you pull back on the trigger. When the trigger pull is all the way to the rear, the firing pin is released and the firing pin then strikes the primer.

Try all you may, you cannot EVER cock this gun and have at stay cocked. Carry it with a round in the chamber and flip the safety on.

You may want to consider selling it to me and buying a revolver... :sarcastic::laugh:

Thanks for all the responses.

Here is a link to the exact model I have, if it helps:
Link Removed

It is definitely DA/SA. The web site for this model indicates DA/SA, the owners manual indicates DA/SA and the trigger pull definitely indicates that it is DA/SA. But, so far, it seems it is only DA upon a misfire. I'm finding out that previous generations were DA only, but this 3rd generation is DA/SA. The hammer is cocked every time the slide goes back...without a doubt.

:laugh: The gun is not for sale...yet. So far, I really like the gun. Though I haven't fired it yet. I need more practice to get more comfortable with it before I start carrying it.

Thanks again for all the help...I sincerely appreciate it!!!

I own a PT-145, a 24/7-C compact, and a 24/7OSS. The PT-145 and 24/7-C are actually SA/DA. Once you chamber a round you can decock it only by pulling the trigger and firing the round. If the round failed you have a second chance with the double actiion pull. Accept this and use the safety. The 24/7OSS however is a true DA/SA. You have the choice of cocked and locked SA or decock for DA first shot. The only draw back to the OSS as a carry gun is the 5.25" barrel. I figure the next edition of the PT Millennium series is to add the OSS trigger, but that's probably a ways down the road.

Good luck!!!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back