Well I bit the bullet today

KimberRB

Well I bit the bullet today so to speak. I just order ever thing I need to start reloading. My son (Kimber PB) has been doing it for some time now and I been just putting it off. So Uncle Sam gave me some money and I just did it. Got every thing I need to start loading 45cal and 40cal. I will add 9mm and 223 later and maybe others. I got the LEE Classic press kit, two turrets, 4 piece die kits for 45cal and 40cal, bullet puller, tumbler with media and polish, 1lb of accurate #2 powder, and 200 rounds of 40cal for $417.00. The only thing I need now is primers.

Enjoy your new hobby. I have been reloading for more years than I care to admit. It does not save you any money...you just get to shoot more.

Right on. I just ordered a Dillon 550 with my tax return. Should be here anyday. Got her in .45acp and .223 :biggrin:

Congratulations to both of you on your new hobby. Once you start reloading rifle cartridges, these things pay for themselves very fast.

Right on. I just ordered a Dillon 550 with my tax return. Should be here anyday. Got her in .45acp and .223 :biggrin:

You'll love that 550. Mine is set up with 9mm, 45ACP and .308. I disagree with statements about not saving money. You may shoot a little more than you normally would, but you are saving up to 75% on practice rounds. We don't shoot any more after reloading than we did before. It just costs us a lot less now. If you count your time into the equation, then maybe you aren't saving money. I don't. I seem to have more time than money lately, so spending a few hours in the garage reloading isn't keeping me from anything more productive.

Crap! No more free brass for me now! :cray: :cray:

Oh and by the way uncle sam didn't give you money. He was just returning "Some" that he'd already taken.

Oh and by the way uncle sam didn't give you money. He was just returning "Some" that he'd already taken.

+1. It is funny how the government gives us back a little of our money they have stolen from us. Anyway congrats to Kimber RB on your new hobby/pass time.

Tax returns come from our interest free savings accounts. Congrats on the new equipment, guys. I plan on getting a .308 set up for my 550.

Scrounge it at the range like I do. I have buckets of it here. Typically I come out ahead with brass after a range session.
Don't remind me. I did my rebate forms today, I'm getting quite a bit back this year thanks to the first time home buyer credit. Some of it is already spent at MidwayUSA last week.

Well I bit the bullet today to... start reloading. Uncle Sam gave me some money and I just did it. Got every thing I need to start loading 45cal and 40cal. I will add 9mm and 223 later and maybe others. I got the LEE Classic press kit, two turrets, 4 piece die kits for 45cal and 40cal, bullet puller, tumbler with media and polish, 1lb of accurate #2 powder, and 200 rounds of 40cal for $417.00. The only thing I need now is primers.

Congrats on your purchase of the Lee Classic Turret Press. The LCT is the best bang for the reloading dollar on the market, whether it was your money or Uncle Sam's that paid for it. It can load up to 200 rounds per hour and can be used as a single stage press if you have the need or desire. I've used mine for just over a year now and built of lot of good ammo with it. I began with 45acp, then added 380acp a short time after. I have just recently added the 357sig round. The caliber change-out is quick and the accessories are inexpensive once you have the turret, powder arrangement and the like. Good luck with your LCT. Mine has been just great.

The LCT is what me son uses and I did not see anything wrong with it. It works fine for him so I got the same one.

Tax returns come from our interest free savings accounts. Congrats on the new equipment, guys. I plan on getting a .308 set up for my 550.

I went with Lee dies for .308. They are about half the price of Dillon dies and seem to accomplish the same thing. The Lee factory crimp die is supposed to be much better than the Dillon crimp die. I have my dies sets all set up on separate toolheads, which makes die changes real easy.

One of the benefits to the 550B over the Square Deal B is that the 550 can use standard dies from any manufacturer. The SDB uses special dies only available from Dillon.

I went with Lee dies for .308. They are about half the price of Dillon dies and seem to accomplish the same thing. The Lee factory crimp die is supposed to be much better than the Dillon crimp die. I have my dies sets all set up on separate toolheads, which makes die changes real easy.

One of the benefits to the 550B over the Square Deal B is that the 550 can use standard dies from any manufacturer. The SDB uses special dies only available from Dillon.

I'm setting up on the quick change heads, too. I'll take a look at the Lee dies.

I opted not to go with the complete quick-change setup, which included the powder measure. having a powder measure on each toolhead would save some setup time if you were doing a lot of tool head changes, but adds about $100 to each toolhead setup. I change calibers maybe once a week. I'll load a few hundred 45's this week, change over and do 9mm next week. I always load more than I shoot, so I've got a growing inventory.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back