Out of State CCW permit

njsportsman

I am a newbie and have some questions about the CCW. I live in a state that does not have CCW but, i am originally am from PA where I had a CCW until i moved to New Jersey. I recently stumbled onto this page via a friend and see that maybe there's hope to retain a CCW permit. Although I live in New Jersey my heart is still in Pennsylvania and plan to move back when I retire so , being in New Jersey is for work reasons. I plan on reinstating my CCW permit upon my return to PA but, with the new administration I believe I may never get that chance. Now to my point I would like to get an out of State Florida CCW or Utah. Can I get one being from a state that doesn't have CCW. I know I won't be able to carry in NJ but, I do spend a lot of time in PA fishing, hunting etc. I don't want to lose out. Thanks

Should be no trouble getting one from Utah. Just find an authorized instructor (list on the Utah website).

As far as I know , Florida shouldn't be a problem to obtain your permit from.

Ok, thanks you and maybejim as well. I know I can and have already identified the NRA instructor coarse. How do you go through the rest of the process. Like fingerprinting etc. When I got my PA CCW I had to get interviewed by a detective. I know each state is different. I think i saw somewhere that you can go to an approved place locally around me and get fingerprinted electronically.

Just to clarify I now live in New Jersey a non CCW state and want to make sure that I'll still be able to get an out of state CCW. ccould you please send me the link for both Utah and Florida. Again Thank you

Last edited:
Here are the links for Florida and Link Removed.

Keep in mind that hollow point ammunition is illegal in NJ. You'll need to use something such as Federal EFMJ to be legal in NJ.

Were you able to do everything from your home state of New York.
You should, you apply via mail. The UT BCI Link Removed has about a half dozen instructors in NJ. Get fingerprinted from your local PD and mail it in. If you want to get Florida in addition to Utah, make sure the NJ instructor is also NRA certified and can do a live fire qualification and issues you a training certificate.

You should, you apply via mail. The UT BCI Link Removed has about a half dozen instructors in NJ. Get fingerprinted from your local PD and mail it in. If you want to get Florida in addition to Utah, make sure the NJ instructor is also NRA certified and can do a live fire qualification and issues you a training certificate.

There's a guy in PA that I am going to yhat's closer I am South Jersey and Philly is closer. The giy is on the Utah BCI but, I can't find the Florida BCI.

As well he told me I should go for a Virginia CCW for some reason i didn't understand. The only difference is you get the permit 30 days instead of 90 from Florida. Is there any advantage other than time.

There's a guy in PA that I am going to yhat's closer I am South Jersey and Philly is closer. The giy is on the Utah BCI but, I can't find the Florida BCI.

As well he told me I should go for a Virginia CCW for some reason i didn't understand. The only difference is you get the permit 30 days instead of 90 from Florida. Is there any advantage other than time.
You're better off with Florida as Florida has more States than Utah. Virginia issues quickly because their non-resident is not in high demand.

Here's the Florida Division of Licensing CCW page again. If you travel to Florida you must have a Florida license or a resident of the State that's on their reciprocity page so for you to CCW in Florida you would have to get a Florida license.

Florida has one of the longer license terms now at seven years instead of five.

Florida's website has a document request form (Form/Pamphlet Request - Division of Licensing, DOACS ). Just fill in your mailing address and select the four documents relating to CCW:
"Concealed Weapon or Firearm Application"
"Fingerprint Card- Concealed Weapon/Firearm"
"How to be licensed to Carry a Concealed Weapon or Firearm" and
"Questions & Answers Pertaining to the Use of Deadly Force"

Fill out the application (be sure signature is notarized), get fingerprinted, include a passport photo, a copy of your traing certification, and a check or money order. The application comes with a copy of applicable FL statutes and a self addressed envelope.

Don't overlook PA non-resident permits. They are much quicker/easier/cheaper than FL or UT.
He can't get a PA because PA requires you to provide a CCW from your State of residency. While NJ is no issue for all practical purposes, they do have a CCW statute. You can only get a PA LTC without providing your home State CCW if you live in IL and WI.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back