SKYY industries , keltec look alike

stumpjumper101

anyone have any knowledge about the skyy industries keltec look alike pistol?

my father wanted a good pocket pistol so i sent him to the local gun shop for a keltec, since he sold out of keltecs yesterday he sold him one of the keltec clones made by skyy. all that i found in the forums didnt have much good to say about them except the newer ones the problems with failure to feed, and failure to fire, and failure to eject had been rectified, not to mention the safety going safe in the middle of firing. i was hoping someone on here had put one through the ringer to see how they perform. I guess i will be putting his through the ringer this weekend just to make sure that the gun he is going to rely on in the time of need will perform without any of the formentioned flaws

Saw one at the gun show......

After seeing their website, I was really looking to buy one of the CPX-1 pistols in 9mm. I researched the pistol online, and that is when I started to get worried. Finally, I got to actually hold one at a gun show, and the way it felt could be summed up in one word: Cheap.

I also notice that the new MPX line is still not released. They announced a release date of winter of 2004. It is now more than four years later. Who do they think they are, Ruger? :eek:

All in all, not a very positive endorsement in my opinion.

all that i have found on their website has been mostly negative. the keltecs are cheap also but everyone i know that has one loves them and swears by their reliability. hopefully my dads will work flawlessly, i will keep my fingers crossed.

Stick with the Kel Tecs... They are awesome. I just wish Kel Tec would make a .40 and a .45. I know they made the .40 before and it didnt work out for them I guess. I dont mind if they have to be made a bit bigger than my P11.

Oh well. Im gonna grab another P11 soon enough cause they are awesome.

Stick with the Kel Tecs... They are awesome. I just wish Kel Tec would make a .40 and a .45. I know they made the .40 before and it didnt work out for them I guess. I dont mind if they have to be made a bit bigger than my P11.

Oh well. Im gonna grab another P11 soon enough cause they are awesome.
Check around and you may run across a P40. If not look for the p40 conversion. I have a P11, P40 and a P357 sig barrel and slide conversion from Kel-Tec on a p11 frame.

SKYY firearms

IIRC, SKYY was founded by a group of former KT employees who just make a copy of the P3AT. I'm not giving them a nickle if that's true. Bad ethics.

I also did some reading on the SKYY/CPX/MPX pistols when I saw them in my new 2009 Gun Catalog. Like another poster here, just about everything I read was negative. Very unreliable. I own a Keltec P32. It is a superb gun. Some 800 rounds thru it, only just cleaned it for the first time a few weeks ago (I know, bad idea) yet in all those rounds, using maybe 12 different types of ammo, I had only ONE failure: a stovepipe using Corbon JHP (which my gun never liked).

Reliability is the #1 factor in carrying/using a firearm and this Keltec gets the highest marks IMHO. Oh, it's also very pleasant to shoot and pretty accurate. I feel very safe carrying it.

If anyone does a search for them, please note: They changed the name due to tradekmark issues with a vodka company. The new company is Sccy Industries.

Check around and you may run across a P40. If not look for the p40 conversion. I have a P11, P40 and a P357 sig barrel and slide conversion from Kel-Tec on a p11 frame.

And you love them dont you? I really like the P11. I mean I really like it. Im wanting one for each day of the week. Kinda like collecting pipes.

Ive looked into the conversion kits but they dont get very good reviews from the folks that have them. At least from what Ive read. So I hoped KelTec would just make a gun for that. I may spring for a P40 conversion though.

Last edited:
anyone have any knowledge about the skyy industries keltec look alike pistol?
It's not a look alike, it is a Kel-Tec. Sccy's or Skyys are garbage. A VP from that so company went on the KTOG (Kel-Tec Owners' Group) forum posing as a just an owner to generate false positive reviews of their product. Some former Kel-Tec employees left Kel-Tec to form Skyy from allegedly stolen Kel-Tec designs to create their own line of firearms. Very unethical company. I don't expect them to honor any warranty claims either.

Last edited:
It's not a look alike, it is a Kel-Tec. They're garbage. A VP from that so company went on the KTOG (Kel-Tec Owners' Group) forum posing as a just an owner to generate false positive reviews of their product. Some former Kel-Tec employees left Kel-Tec to form Skyy from allegedly stolen Kel-Tec designs to create their own line of firearms. Very unethical company. I don't expect them to honor any warranty claims either.

No, the Keltecs are not garbage... Im sure you meant the Skyyyys or whatever they are called.

BTW, a dealer friend of mine says the ruger LCP slide is a Keltec and is made by Keltec. He has no reason to lie to me but does anyone know the scoop. Ive heard this from more than one person who is a dealer.

No, the Keltecs are not garbage... Im sure you meant the Skyyyys or whatever they are called.
Yes. I was referring to Sccy, Skyy or whatever they're called now. I edited my post to reflect that. My only issue with Kel-Tecs is that the magazine release is plastic which wears out. I need to send my P3AT back to Kel-Tec for that reason. The magazine release should be metal as it is with the P-11 slide stop.
BTW, a dealer friend of mine says the ruger LCP slide is a Keltec and is made by Keltec. He has no reason to lie to me but does anyone know the scoop. Ive heard this from more than one person who is a dealer.
That may be why the Ruger LCP is a licensed Kel-Tec P3AT clone. If that's the case then Kel-Tec is getting a profit from them which I have no issue with. I, however, will not own anything Ruger since Bill Ruger threw us under the bus with the first assault weapon ban.:nono:

I just bought my wife a SCCY CPX-1 9mm from a VA gun show back in November. I spoke with a few people at the show who owned the SCCY products and they said they are great. Yes they are from the Kel-Tec design and are very similar to them as well. Anyways, my wife and I have put about 300-400 rounds thru the CPX-1 and have no problems with it besides the safety turning on while in the process of firing. Its a perfect firearm for my wife and her ccw needs. Very small and compact and has nice power. And if anything does go wrong with it SCCY does have a lifetime warranty. I think once you give it a try then you would find it to be a good and reliable firearm as well.

to give yall an update on this sccy pistol , i took it tto the range fired 200+ rounds through it of various brands no ftf or fte or failure to return to battery. however the safty engaged between every single round:mad:. I then went to the dealer who sold it to my father who called the company and they mailed him a safety kit which i piced up the other day. i havent had the time to install it and get back to the range to see the results, but i will let everyone know how it turns out.

to give yall an update on this sccy pistol , i took it tto the range fired 200+ rounds through it of various brands no ftf or fte or failure to return to battery. however the safty engaged between every single round:mad:. I then went to the dealer who sold it to my father who called the company and they mailed him a safety kit which i piced up the other day. i havent had the time to install it and get back to the range to see the results, but i will let everyone know how it turns out.

This would be a HUGE concern for me. Any pistol that has a malfunction that causes it to not go "bang" when I need it to is surely one that I would not use to save my life. It may be a great pistol for target practice, plinking, or recreational use, but as for SD, it's off my list of favorites. :nono:

gf

all that i have found on their website has been mostly negative. the keltecs are cheap also but everyone i know that has one loves them and swears by their reliability. hopefully my dads will work flawlessly, i will keep my fingers crossed.

Keltecs are not cheap. They are well made guns that just happen to not cost an arm and a leg for a recall.

Low cost, yes. Cheap, no way...

Yes. I was referring to Sccy, Skyy or whatever they're called now. I edited my post to reflect that. My only issue with Kel-Tecs is that the magazine release is plastic which wears out. I need to send my P3AT back to Kel-Tec for that reason. The magazine release should be metal as it is with the P-11 slide stop.
That may be why the Ruger LCP is a licensed Kel-Tec P3AT clone. If that's the case then Kel-Tec is getting a profit from them which I have no issue with. I, however, will not own anything Ruger since Bill Ruger threw us under the bus with the first assault weapon ban.:nono:

I agree there. He certainly did...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back