Would you go against a black bear with a 9mm?

The ammo being used was Buffalo Bore 9mm +P Outdoorsman 147-grain FN hard-cast. That's 147-grain flying at 1083 fps out of a 4-inch barrel (Glock 19) with 383 ft-lb energy and 23 ft-lb/s momentum. With bears, penetration is everything. That's why the FN hardcast and not a JHP.

For comparison, the Underwood 10mm 200-grain FN hard-cast I carry has 1250 fps out of a 4.6-inch barrel (Glock 20) with 694 ft-lb energy and 36 ft-lb/s momentum. The 220-grain variant doesn't feed well.

An Underwood .45 ACP 255-grain FN hard-cast has 925 fps out of a 4.6-inch barrel (Glock 21) with 484 ft-lb energy and 34 ft-lb/s momentum. An Underwood .45 Super 255-grain FN hard-cast has 1075 fps out of a 4.6-inch barrel (Glock 21) with 654 ft-lb energy and 39 ft-lb/s momentum.

So in other words, personal defense hollow points isn't really the ideal round against bears, or any wild animal out on a trail.

It's been a long time since I was out on a hunting trip but come to think of it, I don't think JHP's was ever used. Pretty much lead tipped target rounds is what was chambered.

Another tip, be sure you can handle the firearm when you load it up with hot rounds. Auto loaders may jam when limp wristing, while you can shoot yourself in the head with a high-recoiling revolver. Realize that you may need to defend yourself by shooting one-handed.

We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don’t take them by surprise.

We also advise anyone using the out-f-doors to carry “Pepper Spray” with him is case of an encounter with a bear.

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly bear feces. Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear **** has bells in it and smells like pepper.

Bofh or Barf what ever you call yourself,
This thread and website is not all about you. So you try to keep up!

Bofh or Barf what ever you call yourself,
This thread and website is not all about you. So you try to keep up!

My post wasn't about me, SR7.5, is was about you. You posted exactly the same link that was already posted in this thread. It is not my fault if you blindly post in a thread without reading its content. That's why I posted, try to keep up. As usual, your reply doesn't make much sense other than you are mad that you got called out on your own laziness.

We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don’t take them by surprise.

We also advise anyone using the out-f-doors to carry “Pepper Spray” with him is case of an encounter with a bear.

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly bear feces. Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear **** has bells in it and smells like pepper.
:lol:

This is just my personal opinion but I would prefer my 9mm. Just as an example I'll compare it to the 40. There's only about a 1 mm difference in expansion size. So insignificant that doctors can not tell the ballistic difference in would tracks. The smaller 9mm I think has several advantages. The lower weight bullet will have a higher velocity rate and deeper barrier penetration as well as a much higher capacity ability. My 9mm Sig Legion w 20 round mag + 1 in the pipe gives a hell of a lot of fire power. With that said I wouldnt say a higher caliber is a bad choice only not my personal preference
I think the bear would really be impressed with all that.

Yep. A lot cheaper too. Thanks for the link.

"It’s not uncommon for people in self defense situations to inadvertently wound themselves or others."
So much for their credibility.

If a bear is charging you better get your azz up a tree.

Once you get up the tree then you'll have plenty of time to waste ammo from up there.
OOPS!

Bear-675-pixels.jpg

You're in big trouble.

I feel like it would be OK as long as you had plenty of distance and time and accuracy... better hope for that haha!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back