• Yea

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Ney

Votes: 148 99.3%

• Total voters

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
I just started the smart gun thread and was talking more with my mother and got on microstamping. I'm pretty much in the same position as smart guns...NEY. But I wanted to get a thread going and well, here it is!

Firearm microstamping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Firearm microstamping, ballistic imprinting and ballistic engraving are all names given to a technology that has been developed with the goal of aiding in ballistics identification; it involves the use of laser technology to engrave a microscopic marking onto the tip of the firing pin and onto the breech face of a firearm. When the firearm is fired, these etchings are transferred to the primer by the firing pin and to the cartridge case by the breech face, using the pressure created when a round is fired. After the spent cartridges are ejected, these microscopic markings are imprinted on the cartridges, which can then be recovered by police and examined by forensic ballistics experts to obtain information to be used to trace the firearm through its life to, hopefully, the purveyor of the crime. This technology will be required in California starting in 2010, however, law enforcement is specifically exempt.

I think it will just create black market for un-coded guns/ammo. A criminal would never use legally purchased coded ammo or guns to commit a crime.

Deffinetly Nay.

There is only one company that has developed the technology for microstamping, so you have no-bid contracts there. Plus, according to several experts, it doesn't work very well. Then you have the ability to file the firing pin slightly, to get rid of the etching. Plus, gun manufacturers will have to jack up the prices on thier product to offset the cost of the new equipment. And I've seen interviews with forensic analyists saying: it's not matching the case with the gun, that is the hard part, it's matching the gun with the Bad Guy.
It's a ridiculous proposition, everyone in the business knows it is stupid. It's just one more way to take your God Given rights away, and disarm the public. They don't have to take the right away, if they can just make you jump through hoops, and pay out the a** to own a firearm.

Who is going to hold the Elite accountable, if we can't even defend ourselves?

And way too expensive! And so easy to defeat that it would be impossible to control. File down the firing pin, change the barrel, etc,. etc. Just another ploy to make it so expensive to manufacture guns and ammo that no one will lbe able to afford them. See? Don't outlaw guns, just make them impossible to manufacture or afford. Neat, eh?

Think of this. The bad guy goes to a local range and picks up some spent brass. When ever he shoots he drops some of these other spent casings around. Try without a showow of a doubt on a jury if there shells from multiple guns found. Which bullet did the dirty deed? As said above.We have plenty of laws on the books already, use them, prosecute people that use guns for crimes and stop trying to make our live more difficult. When you pass laws and especially ones that cost money to comply with, the only person paying the fees and dealing with the hassel are the law abiders......

I just started the smart gun thread and was talking more with my mother and got on microstamping. I'm pretty much in the same position as smart guns...NEY. But I wanted to get a thread going and well, here it is!

This is exactly like "smart guns". It is designed with the sole idea of making it impossible to buy guns. It is to increase the cost of a gun and is totally worthless. It is easily defeated. It doesn't work with revolvers. It does nothing with the vast majority of guns used in crime that are illegally obtained in one way or another. It's another Dem Kalifornia lamebrain anti-Constitution idea. (But would you really like to know what I think?:sarcastic:)

32 - 0

a few thoughts:

- The company that "invented" the technology is introducing legislation in EVERY state in an attempt to make their profitable technology mandatory.

- It will be ridiculously expensive to buid a database for all of this info.

- This micro stamping is easily defeatable with a barrel and/or pin swap and indeed through normal use of the firearm, micro-stamping on the firing pin will wear away.

of course NO! I agree with everyone else here.. just another way to get rid of firearms from the law abiding.

A nylon stocking will catch all the shells from an automatic anyway. There was an article in Rifleman Mag. a while back which said there was only ONE company with the technology to do the micro stamping. What does that tell you?

Sieg heil

I believe it was 1933 Hitler orderd that all Jews to register their guns. Then about a year later everyone had to register their weapons. Then just before he started rounding up the jews and the gypsies he had all the guns siezed. His governmet knew where they all were.
This could happen in Amerika in our time!!!

a few thoughts:

- The company that "invented" the technology is introducing legislation in EVERY state in an attempt to make their profitable technology mandatory.

- It will be ridiculously expensive to buid a database for all of this info.

- This micro stamping is easily defeatable with a barrel and/or pin swap and indeed through normal use of the firearm, micro-stamping on the firing pin will wear away.

Yes, that kind of database will be very expensive, not to mention extremely time consuming.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back