Fox family in my yard - an ethical question

Several years ago we had a family of foxes that burrowed under our front stoop, an entrance no one uses. We enjoyed watching them, the dad would go to the top of the drive and mom would get the kits out of the den where they would play and wrestle. If anyone drove by (we don't get much traffic) dad would sound the alarm and they would all dive back into the den. We could stand in the foyer and watch them through the sidelights.

About dusk we would see them take the kits hunting, one adult leading, one following, all going off single file. You will also have a lot less rodents around also.

Next year they were gone, and I filled the den in with dirt.

We still have them around, as we often hear them at night and see one from time to time
Same here. We had a family of coyotes for a couple of years. They had a burrow under the barn. During the early season the mom would be out during the day hunting and would come back at dusk. As they grew they were venturing out when mom wasn't there. Eventually they grew-up everyone went back to nocturnal life. They kept the mice and chipmunks away from my berry patch.

We have a few foxes in our neighborhood. They are beautiful. They eat mice, rats, frogs, and once in a while a rabbit. No big deal. Our neighbor has chickens but has them pretty well fox proofed, haven't lost any for a good while. We usually see them on the fields in the early morning or the evening. Live and let live.

This sounds like a job for traps, like a Conabear 220, or a leg hold trap if you still want to pop it with a 22lr. I'm new here so I don't know if it's OK to post this, but this is a fox in a chicken coop, racoons will do the same thing. Don't click on this link if you have a weak stomach, It's a fox killing everything

I have a family of foxes living in my yard. I would like to get their pelts. I have no qualms about shooting the adults, but they have 3 kits that are outside the den and hunting with them. I am not so sure that I want the kits to starve. Although, I am not sure I could shoot them as well. Perhaps trapping would work. I do not know quite what to do. The kits are just now starting to hunt, so if I did not get them right away - maybe they would not starve, and I could get them at a later date.

I have a 1 year old granddaughter living with us, and one of the foxes came to within 20 yards of my wife while she was sitting on the front porch. I was too slow getting the rifle at the time. Also, we want to get chickens this year, and they have brought some chicken carcasses (from the neighborhood) into our yard to feast. This will be a problem in the future.

Also, I assume that a 10-22 would be fine for a fox - less than 75 yards. Remington 22 Golden tip hollowpoints 62gr. 1280fps.

Any thoughts opinions appreciated.
They're vermin. I'd take them all down.

It is the responsibility of the chicken owner to protect them from predators or the result will be like the video. The fox is just doing what wild things do. People are suppose to be smarter and protect their chickens from foxes and rat coons.

It is the responsibility of the chicken owner to protect them from predators or the result will be like the video. The fox is just doing what wild things do. People are suppose to be smarter and protect their chickens from foxes and rat coons.
...."rat coons"...I think you meant "trash panda"?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back