Taurus PT140

JWS

I just purchased a Taurus Pro PT140. Have any of you guys had much experience with this weapon and what ammo have you found best suits it.

I cant speak to the 140, as I don't own one. But Taurus can be a "mixed bag" of successes and failures, in gun design.

I own 2 Taurus handguns. One is a wheel-gun... a long-barreled Tracker series revolver, in .22 long rifle, that is an absolute joy to shoot, and is an insanely-accurate tack driver. I've never had a problem with it, and really really enjoy shooting it.

On the other hand...

I've had a Taurus PT145 Millennium taking up space in my safe for several years now. Honestly, I've put less than 200 rounds through it. It seemed like a very comfortable gun to shoot at the range, and I had read some "glowing reviews" in the magazines. I had high hopes. Then, on the second trip out, it broke.

You see, the PT series uses PLASTIC tabs inside the gun, to engage the slots on the magazine that hold the magazine in the gun. Be kid-glove gentle with your mag changes, each time / every time, and you'll likely never have a problem. But slap just one mag in with any gusto (as when adrenaline is flowing), or perform just one hearty "tap-rack" stoppage drill when shooting "on the clock", and the magazine will shear those plastic tabs right off the inside of the gun.

The result is a mag that will stay in the gun long enough to chamber the first round, but the recoil of the first shot will shake the rest of the loaded mag right out of the gun, sending it right to the floor (or the ground). Subsequent magazines will not stay in the gun at all, since the tabs that hold it in will have been sheared off, and will have fallen out of the gun when the mag that sheared them, fell out.

I sent my gun back to Taurus, and they repaired it at no cost, without question. But that gun has stayed un-fired in my safe, ever since. I'd NEVER bet my life on it.

I cut my teeth on combat-proven, all-steel .45 cal 1911's, in the service. Today, I shoot IDPA, train frequently, and I carry for self defense. I'm constantly doing mag-changes with the guns I shoot regularly (mainly 1911's and XD's), and I've never encountered a problem with these guns. Spend a weekend at any training facility where you'll be shooting 500 or more rounds per day (TDI, Gunsite, LFI, John Farnam, etc.), and you'll know in the first half hour, exactly what I'm talking about.

If you intend to rely on a gun (any gun) for self defense, be sure to take it to the range and seriously beat up on it. Run at least 600 hard rounds through it in a single weekend, as if your life depended on it. If your gun ends up broken, then decide at that point whether you'd be willing to bet your life on it.

There are many other guns on the market, from a multitude of manufacturers, that use good quality, forged / machined steel parts everywhere that can encounter stress, shock, or impact of any kind, and that save the plastics and polymers for where they can be used without jeopardizing combat-ready reliability. Guns that use plastics for parts that are critical to the safe and reliable operation of the gun WHEN A LIFE DEPENDS ON IT, should be avoided.

A shop owner expained the Taurus thing like this...Taurus always used to make copies of popular guns, then sometime around 2000 they decided to design their own. To this day, their own designs have not been stellar while the copied designs have typically been very reliable.

I have a PT92 which is copy of a Beretta 92. I love that gun. I've put thousands of rounds through it over 10 years and it has never misfired.

Wow!

I guess I am lucky, but my PT145 Stainless (3rd gen) hasn't given me any trouble. About 600+ rounds fired. I have had 2 rounds fail to fire that went on the 2nd try, and a few fail to feed when trying out a 12rd mag for the 24/7. :thank_you2:

I have a PT92 which is copy of a Beretta 92. I love that gun. I've put thousands of rounds through it over 10 years and it has never misfired.

RRC - One advantage you will find in your Taurus 92, over the Beretta, is that Taurus wisely moved the decocker down to the frame, while Beretta put it up on the slide. Start jacking the slide of both models, trying to free a double-feed or other jam, and the Beretta owner is apt to inadvertently flip the decocker into the safe position when the slide is released. The Taurus, with it's decocker down on the frame, away from the pinching grip of the slide-jacking hand, wont experience that issue.

Little things like that are never a problem on the range. But in a defensive situation, I can see where it would take considerable time (greater than a second or two) to 1.) attempt to fire 2.) realize it didn't fire 3.) figure out why it didn't fire 4.) correct the situation 5.) finally fire the gun. I saw this very thing happen several times over, during a 3-day class I attended years ago, at TDI.

I have the pt140 pro. I've put exactly 100 rounds of Remington 180 gr FMJ through it so far (only had it about a month). No problems. I like this weapon a lot. Like any small-size .40, it has some kick. But I actually like that.

On a side note, my dad has a Taurus .357 six-shot that is also excellent. People speak poorly of Taurus a lot, but my experience has been nothing but pleasant.

I don't own a Taurus .40 cal. but I do own a .380 PT738, 9mm PT709 Slim, and a .45acp Pt145. I haven't had a lick of problems with any of the three, except getting enough ammo for them when I want it. I also own S&W and Beretta's... I like my Taurus pistola's better.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back