Do guns give a false sense of security?

By false sense of security I meant a feeling of imperviousness to any potential assault, or that whatever the threat, my gun (seen or unseen) can resolve it.

Situational awareness can go only so far. There will still be chances of being jumped from behind, shot at in a drive-by, etc.

By false sense of security I meant a feeling of imperviousness to any potential assault, or that whatever the threat, my gun (seen or unseen) can resolve it.

Situational awareness can go only so far. There will still be chances of being jumped from behind, shot at in a drive-by, etc.

If carrying a firearm makes you feel "impervious" you are a idiot.

I know this for sure; If I don't carry, I will never be prepared to defend mine or anyone else's life in any life-threatening situation.

Without a gun I will never be prepared to defend mine or anyone else's life in any life threatening situation.

May I assume you mis typed this?

Every time I've ever been shot I was carrying a gun

I fully support and encourage gun ownership, carrying and use.

Something I've noticed is that many (not all) gun owners seem to believe that if they carry guns all the time that they are safe from just about any kind of attack. I wonder if this produces a false sense of security.

I've read some even say that if passengers in Belgium could carry guns that they could have prevented the carnage at the airport and on the subway. Huh? Bringing a gun to a bomb fight?

What do you think? Are we putting too much faith and dependence into carrying guns?

I've never noticed what you have. Especially, when it comes to CC, I think most of us don't believe that we are "SAFE" from attack. On the contrary, people that carry, carry precisely because they recognize the possibility of an attack.

What I would I would agree to is- As a legal concealed firearms carrier I just feel more prepared and equipped should an attack ever happen.

-

I will say that I really feel odd when I go to a neighboring state that does not allow non-resident C/C/P, knowing they have as much or more crime as where I live. I'm so used to carry for so many years, it is weird to be without it. I avoid going to those states if possible. I can find enough places to spend my money here at home local.

There's nothing false about the sense of security a gun gives me. Whenever I wave one around, people give me a wide berth and show me respect.

It is an interesting question. I had to think about it for a while. I would say that it is comforting to be armed, but being armed has not changed my habits. I do not go anywhere armed that I wouldn't go unarmed. By that I mean that because I have a gun in my pocket I do not venture into unsafe places that I would avoid if I were unarmed. I don't think that is a false sense of security.

I don't anticipate on having a wreck when I drive to the store, but I wear my seat-belt, in case.....
I don't anticipate on being attacked in the parking lot when I arrive at the store, but I carry my gun, in case.....

When someone insinuates that I am paranoid because I carry, I simply ask them if they wear their seat-belt when driving, have smoke detectors in their homes, lock their doors when they leave home, etc..

If anything, my SA has increased since I began carrying, but having a gun does not make me feel secure, just better prepared.

That in itself is a criminal act in any state.
And who's going to arrest me, son? You? Don't make me laugh, you need to learn what you speak before you open your mouth. As a mall lawman, I have complete and total immunity for actions I partake in. Let me share with you a little story about an experience I had the other day.

It was my lunch time, and I decided to treat myself to a local fast food joint. I entered in full uniform and arsenal. I had militarized my uniform, sewing my mall patches onto black BDUs, and a black balaclava concealed my identity. Around my waist were my twin widowmakers my glock 21s. I also carried an mp5. Now, usually when I go out to eat I bring a friend so we can watch each other's backs when we order and refill our drinks, but this time I was solo.

After I enjoyed my delicious and nutritious meal, I went to the fountain to refill my drink. Hearing footsteps behind me, and no partner to watch my back, I spun around and shoved my mp5 into the face of my would be attacker: An elderly woman. Lucky for her I was a little slow on the draw that day, otherwise I would've sent that bluehair into the retirement home in the sky. After berating her, the restaurant manager called the cops. When they showed up I explained the situation, they then proceeded to arrest the manager and elderly woman for interfering with the duties of a mall officer.

There's nothing false about the sense of security a gun gives me. Whenever I wave one around, people give me a wide berth and show me respect.

It's more likely the crazed look in your eyes, the hockey mask and the superman cape, and bright red yoga pants

It's more likely the crazed look in your eyes, the hockey mask and the superman cape, and bright red yoga pants
I never wear yoga, only sometimes do I wear pajama bottoms. And while I agree capes are cool, and sometimes wear them, I've never worn a superman cape in public. And finally, it isn't a crazed look in my eyes, it's a 1000 yard stare. One look at me and joe sixpack knows he's dealing with a guy who's been there and done that.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back