Missouri Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the link to our Missouri Concealed Carry page.

Let me know if I missed anything.

Last edited:
Less than lethal CCW alternatives?

The instructor I went through for my Missouri CCW permit didn't cover this, but my gunsmith - who is also a CCW instructor tells me that a CCW permit in our state also entails the licensee to carry concealed "less than lethal" alternatives, such as knives, saps, and items that can function like a baton "tire thumpers," collapsible "ASPs" and so on. I'd like to hear more about the legality of this. I don't know about this state, but in the state I came from (California,) carrying a baton, whether exposed or concealed, without a permit, was a felony.

Missouri

You do NOT have to notify police you are carrying.
Anyone who can legally own a pistol can carry it loaded in car. You do not have to have a permit.
You just have to leave it in the car every time you get out.

Less than lethal CCW alternatives?

Missouri permit is a weapons permit. Not just a gun permit. The answers can get complicated and i am not a lawyer or expert of any kind on this.
Knifes are limited to under 4 inchs and no switchblades.

The best source on Missouri gun law i know of that is up to date and easy to understand is this
DVD set. I do know the guy a little bit and he is well known in state.

Learn To Carry Productions, Ltd - CCW Training Video on Missouri State Laws

It is a little expensive so maybe get a few people together and split the cost.

Thanks, Dave!

I will give strong thought to picking up that video...there is no such thing as too much information.

I have the video and the card of the attorney who has an office close by (Jamison). The video is good.

The course cost varies a lot here. I paid $100. Others are paying $125. Course includes training and shooting.

I paid $84 to clay county sheriff's office. Near by counties are only $64. I had to get a money order or certified check - no cash or check.

I got a separate non-driver's license for the permit.

Update: I got my permit early November 2008 and waited only 8 days. My son-in-law just got his permit after Christmas. He paid 125 for the course and 100 to the sheriff (maximum allowed by law). So, prices slightly higher now. He waited less than 2 weeks, a few days more because of the holiday. Clay county is really fast.

Last edited:
Sounds like it came close to balancing out, Carol. We spent $75 on the course, and $100 to the Howell County Sheriff's Office for the background check, apiece (Wife and I did it at the same time.) You did make me think, though, that perhaps lining up an attorney in advance might be prudent thinking - just in case:biggrin:

Link Removed

Let me know if I missed anything.

Update:
Requirements, line item 4: Six month residency unless military exception applies.

The six month minimum was dropped via a law in August 2007.

---- ---- ---- ----

Open carry is legal statewide, without any permit as long as one can legally own a firearm. Individual communities may deny this right, however, so check first.

As a note, OC in Columbia is not restricted.

Branson Missouri

open carry is legal in Taney County but expect to be hassled about it. It is NOT legal in Branson.

I disagree with the guide's statement that Missouri has a "stand your ground law".
Otherwise, good guide. Thanks for putting it together!

Missouri permit is a weapons permit. Not just a gun permit. The answers can get complicated and i am not a lawyer or expert of any kind on this.
Knifes are limited to under 4 inchs and no switchblades.

I was under the belief that knives were legal without a permit as long as they were under 4inches. Does anyone know if having my permit allows me to carry longer then that(not that it's needed but it's nice to know)?

MISSOURI CONCEAL WEAPONS LAW

SHP-863.PDF
Link Removed

CONCEALED WEAPONS MAY NOT BE CARRIED:

In accordance with Section 571.107 RSMo., you may not carry a concealed weapon in the following places:

• any police, sheriff, or Highway Patrol office or station without consent;
• within 25 feet of any polling place on Election Day;
• adult or juvenile jail or institution;
• courthouse or facilities;
• any meeting of a government body (except by a member with a concealed carry endorsement);
• bar without consent;
• airport;
• where prohibited by federal law;
• schools;
• child care facility (without consent of manager);
• riverboat gambling facility;
• amusement parks;
• any church or place of worship; without permission of Minister or person representing religious organization
• any sports arena or stadium (with seating for more than 5,000);
• hospitals; and,
• private or public property where posted.

Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of any of the above-listed locations is not prohibited so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises. Carrying a concealed firearm in any location specified above is not a criminal act. However, you can be denied access to the premises or may be removed from the premises for doing so. If a peace officer is summoned:

• Upon the first offense, you can be cited and fined up to $100.
• If within six months, a second offense occurs, you can be fined up to $200, and your concealed firearms endorsement can be suspended for a period of one year.
• If within one year of the first offense a third citation for a similar violation is issued, you may be fined up to $500, and your concealed carry endorsement revoked. If your concealed carry endorsement is revoked, you are not eligible for the endorsement for a period of three years.

CARRYING A WEAPON IN A VEHICLE

In addition to the concealed carry endorsement discussed above, Missouri now permits any person who is at least 21 years old to transport a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle. No concealed carry endorsement is required. Under the old law, the peaceable journey exception to the unlawful-use-of-a-weapon law permitted travelers on a continuous peaceable journey to carry a concealed weapon. The peaceable journey exception is still in the law, and may apply in circumstances where the new law does not (i.e. if the person is less than 21 years old). Also, any coroner, deputy coroner, medical examiner, or assistant medical examiner may carry a concealable firearm upon or about their person without an endorsement.

Note: This law does not affect the law prohibiting possession of a concealable firearm by a dangerous felon.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

(Possesses or discharges a firearm or projectile weapon while intoxicated) Has a firearm or projectile weapon readily capable of lethal use on his or her person, while he or she is intoxicated, and handles or otherwise uses such firearm or projectile weapon in either a negligent or unlawful manner or discharges such firearm or projectile weapon unless acting in self-defense.

Missouri’s carrying concealed law recognizes all out-of-state permits, including those from political subdivisions — cities and counties. Also, keep in mind that Missouri’s peaceable journey law will apply to travelers, including those who do not have a permit.

Out-of-state residents cannot obtain a Missouri concealed carry endorsement. However, nothing prohibits Missouri residents from obtaining a concealed carry permit from another state, and those permits would be valid in Missouri.

Not all states honor Missouri’s concealed weapons endorsement. It is the responsibility of the endorsement holder to comply with the laws of all states/jurisdictions in which he carries a concealed weapon.

I'm with many that the CCW statute should include knives, but then again I'm a firm believer that the restrictions on knives in Missouri are quite ridiculous.

Major issues with the Highway Patrol's brochure. The brochure clearly says: Concealed Weapons Law, it does not say Concealed Carry Endorsement Law. It's intended to cover CCW endorsement and Castle Doctrine, which makes it very easy for someone to think everything in the brochure falls under CCW endorsment statutes when it does not.

1st, it doesn't say in their brochure that the CCW endorsement only applies to firearms. That's clearly dictated in the CCW statute. 571.101.1 It has a picture of a knife with a strike-through, so you'd think a LEA would have enough sense to publish the actual statute number so folks can look it up. Why they do in some places and not in others is odd.

2nd, the "additional information" and carry in a vehicle ARE NOT covered under CCW statute, they are covered under the Castle Doctrine statutes and changes from 2007 and 2010 (yes, it's a group of statutes).

3rd, out of State residents CAN obtain a Missouri CCW endorsement, only with a specific exception. The exception is that they must be military stationed IN Missouri OR be the spouse of such member of the military. Currently, the exception does not apply to deployed military members. Active duty and deployed military members have the ability to retain their State of Residence as well as their DL from the same. 571.101.2(b)

4th, one important item is missing from that list that was never written into the statute (which was ignorant to say the least): NO PUBLIC BUS. The public bus falls under the bus hijacking statute. 578.305.4 It's in the brochure Q&A, just not in the 571 statute.

5th, that you MUST be asked to leave before LEOs can do anything about it. Refuse and you're trespassing. 571.107.2

6th, in the prohibited locations portion it's missing one very important piece of information: It shall not be a crime..... 571.107.2 The brochure says: ....is not a crime. (not the same as using the word shall) As well as: If a LEO is summoned. That's not true, the statute clearly states: If you refuse to leave AND a peace officer is summoned. By the Highway Patrol's brochure if a property owner calls PD first and never tells you to leave they can fine you, clearly the info in the brochure is not accurate/true.

7th, if you're denied due to some disqualifying record that's found you have the right to appeal that denial. That seems quite important and it's INTENTIONALLY left out.

I still get agitated and cannot understand why and that LEOs and politicians still cannot distribute accurate information when they have access to the same statutes we do. The brochure is quite inaccurate and given that the date on it appears to be 12/10 I'm quite surprised at the inaccuracies.

Missouri Statute preview.

SB 656 Modifies provisions relating to firearms and corporate security advisors
Sponsor: Kraus
LR Number: 5082S.04T Fiscal Note available
Committee: General Laws
Last Action: 9/10/2014 - Legislature voted to override Governor's veto Journal Page:

Title: CCS HCS SB 656 Calendar Position:
Effective Date: Varies
House Handler: Elmer

Full Bill Text | All Actions | Amendments/CCRs/CCSs | Available Summaries | Senate Home Page | List of 2014 Senate Bills

Current Bill Summary

CCS/HCS/SB 656 - This act modifies provisions relating to firearms.

OPEN CARRY ORDINANCES - 21.750

This act provides that the open carrying of a firearm may not be prohibited by a political subdivision for any person with a valid concealed carry endorsement or permit in his or her possession who presents such endorsement or permit upon the demand of a law enforcement officer. In addition, no person carrying a concealed or unconcealed handgun may be disarmed or physically restrained by a law enforcement officer unless under arrest or if there is no reasonable and articulable suspicion of criminal activity. Any person who violates these provisions may be issued a citation for up to $35. No ordinance of a political subdivision may be construed to preclude the use of a firearm to defend property or persons.

This provision is identical to a provision of CCS2/SS/SCS/HCS/HB 1439 (2014), SS/SCS/HB 1539 (2014), SS/SCS/SB 613 (2014), and SB 744 (2014), and is similar to a provision of HB 436 (2013), and SB 352 (2013).

Missouri Statute preview.

SB 656 Modifies provisions relating to firearms and corporate security advisors
Sponsor: Kraus
LR Number: 5082S.04T Fiscal Note available
Committee: General Laws
Last Action: 9/10/2014 - Legislature voted to override Governor's veto Journal Page:

Title: CCS HCS SB 656 Calendar Position:
Effective Date: Varies
House Handler: Elmer

Full Bill Text | All Actions | Amendments/CCRs/CCSs | Available Summaries | Senate Home Page | List of 2014 Senate Bills

Current Bill Summary

CCS/HCS/SB 656 - This act modifies provisions relating to firearms.

OPEN CARRY ORDINANCES - 21.750

This act provides that the open carrying of a firearm may not be prohibited by a political subdivision for any person with a valid concealed carry endorsement or permit in his or her possession who presents such endorsement or permit upon the demand of a law enforcement officer. In addition, no person carrying a concealed or unconcealed handgun may be disarmed or physically restrained by a law enforcement officer unless under arrest or if there is no reasonable and articulable suspicion of criminal activity. Any person who violates these provisions may be issued a citation for up to $35. No ordinance of a political subdivision may be construed to preclude the use of a firearm to defend property or persons.

This provision is identical to a provision of CCS2/SS/SCS/HCS/HB 1439 (2014), SS/SCS/HB 1539 (2014), SS/SCS/SB 613 (2014), and SB 744 (2014), and is similar to a provision of HB 436 (2013), and SB 352 (2013).

Changes, yes, but that was a year and a half ago. :)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back