Carrying xcountry on a Harley

stevepage

I have a cw permit in NH and I'm Going on a trip across the whole country on my Harley.I'm a 100% disabled USMC 3/26 5th mardiv Veitnam vet.1968-1969-1970 in country..What should I do to carry my 1911 with me? As I read the threads all I have to do is have a lock box? thanks steve

Last edited:
I have a cw permit in NH and I'm Going on a trip across the whole country on my Harley.I'm a 100% disabled USMC 3/26 5th mardiv Veitnam vet.1968-1969-1970 in country..What should I do to carry my 1911 with me? As I read the threads all I have to do is have a lock box? thanks steve

Could this be you?

wes.jpg

Good thread, as I just bought a Street Glide less than a year ago. I checked the reciprocity map for New Hampshire and there are a lot of states that don't recognize your CCW permit. Yes, a lock box should ensure compliance but there are many states that will allow you to have a loaded pistol at your disposal on your bike. Texas will allow you to keep it in your saddlebag. New Mexico (my state) even allows anyone to carry concealed while riding. But as soon as you get off the bike you break the law. Big help huh? My point is that you should make use of the resources on this site and elsewhere to know the laws of the states you will be traveling through.

Another option is one I'm taking advantage of and that's to add a non-resident permit from another state to your wallet. I only need 1 more hour of classroom instruction to qualify for a Utah permit, and that with my permit allows me to carry concealed in most states in the US.

That's just my 2 cents FWIW. Anyway, stay safe and I envy you the chance to travel across the country on a Harley.

Jeff

I do quite a bit of cross country motorcycle riding myself.

I carry in a 5.11 holster shirt in states that recognize my permit.

I open carry in states that allow it, but don't recognize my permit.

I lock my unloaded pistol in the trunk and put the ammo in a saddle bag in the communist states.

Since you are carrying a 1911, you shouldn't have to worry about exceeding the number of rounds your mags can hold in any state.

Don't carry hollow points in New Jersey.

Happy Trails!

Last edited by a moderator:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back