Flying Out To FL.

sambo42xa

USA Carry Supporter
I've never looked into this before because I have never flew anywhere with a firearm. I will be going to FL. maybe end of Feb. with Family (school vacation) and We will be flying down. I plan on taking a weapon with me. I'm from NH and will be flying out of MA., which I will check on the proper paperwork etc. for that part. My question, FL. map on this forum says for NH......FL res. permit only. What does this mean? I'm a res in NH but I need a res address in FL.?? I do not understand this. I need a permit in FL. which in this case I will not have in time so I might as well forget it?
I live in NH, and have a CCW permit and also one for MA.
thnx for the help.

I believe that if you have a resident permit in NH, you can carry in FL. If you have a NON-resident permit from NH, you cannot carry in FL. YOu have to be licensed in the state you live (reside) in (NH).

Ok. I am a resident (20yrs) in NH. So, I can carry CCW in FL. I just didn't quite understand how it was worded when looking at the map.
Now I have to take care of proper paperwork on my end to fly it. I'll read somemore on it (Laws etc.) and if there is anything else I'm lost on I'll be sure to come back here!

Yep gpbarth is correct. If you have your resident NH permit you CAN carry CCW here in Florida. Next time you go to the map click on your home state instead of the state you are going to. If you click on NH Florida turns yellow and says NH resident permit only.

Also I've flown a few times now with my gun and have not been hassled yet. Just make sure you have it in a nice hard shell lockable case. One that the corners can not be pried open even when the lock is on it. I unload and place a barrel lock on the gun, unload the mags, and put the ammo back into there original packaging. Lock everything up and place in my suitcase. When getting to the airport and checking in I tell them I'll be checking in a firearm and they'll want to see it. Unzip and unlock everything and show them that its unloaded. They will then stick a little piece of paper in say it is unloaded, have you lock everything up, and walk you over to the xray machines. Thats about it.

Thnx for the information. We are going by JetBlue and I checked their site and found info on firearms and it pretty much had the exact write up that I found when I looked up Massport (Logan Airport) Boston, MA. for information. Someone on here mentioned to me to go in handguns.com and click on the airline I am taking and look up their regulations on firearms which I did but it did not have JetBlue, so it looks like the write up MAY be for a good percentage of airlines?
The Only case I have is a Flight Anvil Case......one someone in a band would use for equipment, etc. (ahhh, the good ol days) which has a "key lock" on ONE latch. It is about the size of a standard brief case. I May just invest in something a little more smaller (the less; smaller; lighter things to carry the better for me) that has a place too lock on BOTH latches. Mine is strong enough but I think two locks are better than one. And I do not want to get stuck at the last minute for something like that!
1. Also, how many firearms (handguns) are you allowed to bring in said case. This I did not see anywhere. I would like to bring two...Taurus PT25 and HiPoint C9.
2. You mentioned that the counter person will walk you over to xray after you lock your case. Am I correct in saying that the case is not a carry-on? Don't they take the case after it is locked and put it on the coveyer with the rest of your luggage?
3. What happens when I arrive at the terminal to pickup (besides waiting till I get off airport property)? Will it be on the conveyer with everyones luggage for pick up or do I have to go to a special place to retrieve it and so on??
Sorry for all the questions, but I have never flown with a weapon before and since I got about a month before the trip I want to make sure I got everything correct and ready for. :confused::confused::confused:
Thank you....

I Do The Following..........

I have a small peliquin case (Hard Sided case) that has 2 lock holes in it. I place the unloaded weapon into the case. I also have a box of 20 rounds that are enclosed with it.Rounds are in orginal MFG box as required. The box is secured by 2 TSA approved locks bought from Wal Mart. This box is small enough to be included in my checked in bag so.....approach the check in and let the check in person that you have a firearm to declair. They will ask you to open your bag and show them that its unloaded.Some will ask and others will just ask you to fill out the red card.Some will want the card placed inside the box,some will not!! Just do as they ask and you will not have any problems. Ive seen a couple of different things that they do in different airports but it normally painless. Have a nice flight!

Last edited:
If you have a NH resident you're good to CCW in FL. FL is one of those States that only extends reciprocity or recognition to residents of the issuing jurisdiction. If you do not possess a resident CCW in the State you reside in then you other option is getting a FL CWFL.

I cannot comment on JetBlue. I fly Southwest whenever possible with US Scareways being a distant second for my choice in an air travel carrier. Southwest lets you fill the case. I posted an article on flying with firearms. Your better airlines defer the carriage of unloaded firearms in checked baggage to TSA regulations which Southwest does. Also keep in mind that some airlines specifically exclude firearms in the checked baggage insurance so if they get lost of stolen you're out of luck or have to look for external coverage such as through your homeowners, renters or an NRA policy to get them replaced.

Every airport is different. Some airports the firearms are screened right there by TSA or a TSA subcontractor before . Some they just put them on the conveyor and you stand by for 10 to 15, if you hear nothing then you're good to go to the gate. Some they manually check the case. Some they x-ray your bag while you watch which is the case for DAL (Love Field in Dallas TX), MCO (Orlando Int'l) or STL.

Unless you are a TSA approved pilot to carry in the cockpit or a qualified LEO on official business you cannot carry firearms as a carry-on or otherwise on board a commercial aircraft. It must be in your checked baggage, unloaded and previously declared to the air carrier at the time you check your baggage. They will give you an unloaded firearm(s) declaration tag to fill out and put in the firearm hard case. You must not use TSA approved locks on your firearm hard case. It must be a lock that you and only you have the combination or key to.

Your checked luggage should pop out in baggage claim with everyone else's luggage. You should pack your firearms in your checked baggage with other items such as clothing so no one can tell other than the TSA screeners and the ticketing agent whom you declared the firearm(s) that there are firearm(s) in your checked baggage.

I'm presently in Fort Wayne IN. I had no issues flying Southwest from LAS to IND. I'll post my report on checking my firearms at IND on my return flight to LAS after I return tomorrow evening providing I don't get stuck in a possible blizzard here tomorrow evening.

Last edited:
Flying With Your Pal

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

1.Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
2.Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
o Determine if the ammo MUST be in boxes OR can fly in loaded magazines.
o If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazines.
o The round from the pipe(s) must be in a box, not loose.
3.Secure and protect magazines and ammunition boxes from possible damage. 4.Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in. The labeling should be limited to:
o Your Name
o Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
o Your personal email address - if you have one
o NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED
5. Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.
6. Have the rules for the airline in hand when you check this non-descript bag at the airport.
7. Make sure you have the keys to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations 49CFR § 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - Link Removed) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case
= to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in
= if the TSA wants to see.
8. Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft immediately to the:
= airline
= FAA Regional Office
= ATF Regional Office

Other things to consider:

1. Check www.handgunlaw.us and/or Link Removed to determine:
o If you can possess the weapon at all your stops.oWhere and how you can carry at all your stops.
o What are the deadly force rules in each state you are visiting.
2. Have a copy of the Don Young Transportation Letter on hand - Link Removed. This covers changing modes of travel - car to plane to car - in a single journey.

Ok, after reading more and more on the JetBlue and Logan Airport website I think I know what I can bring for a pistol case and I do not even have to buy one. (I'm in the middle of reading about Orlando which I beleive are the same regulations)
View attachment 295
This is what I already use in my car (key). One in my Wifes also. Small enough that I can put them both in with my luggage. Ammo can be no more than 10lbs. which I will put in the proper container/box in with the other luggage. I phoned my insurance Co. today and the girl was in a way surprised because She told me she never had the question asked before about guns. I pretty much asked Her how are my weapons covered incase they are Stolen OR Lost....at home locked in a Safe; at an airport locked in a Gun Safe inside a suitcase/luggage; Locked in a Gun Safe Locked in a car (like a Rental). She said, I'll get back to you with all that information. She did tell me though that there is no additional cost to add weapons but it must be no more than $5k. I'm kind of in the $2500-3k range of firearms/equipment, not like some of you!!!
Oh ya, and You do not need TSA locks. But You must provide the key/combo to them to open the case/s.

That's a typo, right? Just making sure...the government does have some fairly odd rules occasionally.
Nope. The actual CFR was posted later in this thread. Also the firearm case inspection should be done in your presence.

Also be forewarned. I had my first bad experience at IND (Indianapolis Int'l Airport). TSA wanted to get into my locked firearm case. They took my key and went back to wherever the had my luggage with my hard firearm case.

The screener then told me, "Why don't you use TSA locks on your firearm case?" I responded back "because they're illegal on firearm cases."

I came home to find that my firearm case was not packed in the same manner it was when I declared them to the ticketing agent. The case was ajar, but locked. The socks I use as packing/cushioning material were not where they were left within the case; between the P-12.45 and my Taurus 651 and another one between the Taurus and my Kel-Tec P-11. My P-12.45 had about a 2mm chuck of metal taken out of the front sight on the right side and my Taurus 651 has a 3mm scratch/dent on the front of the trigger guard. The front sight of my P-12.45 came into contact with the trigger guard of my Taurus. Whether it was done during screening or during movement during air travel I do not know. I do know that I explicitly packed the firearms where there was sufficient cushioning material between them.

I am pursuing a claim with TSA. At the bare minimum I want the front sight of my P-12.45 to be smoothed out and reblued by a gunsmith if not replaced. The blemish on the front sight can cause it to snag in a holster. I don't know if the scratch/ding on my Taurus can effectively be removed. Since it's on the trigger guard, it may be a permanent fixture to that frame which may have permanently devalued the firearm.

If your firearms are lost or damaged by TSA regardless of how small. Get the Link Removed and submit it. Since I need to get an estimate from a gunsmith on the repairs, I will submit the form this weekend. My airline has been informed, they told me my recourse was strictly with TSA as it was not due to baggage handler negligence.

I have flown many times over the past few years with firearms. This is the first time TSA has gotten into my case without my observation. The two times TSA or a TSA contractor needed to get into my firearm case, it was done with me observing the screener. They just opened the case and touched the firearms as little as possible.

Remember that TSA = They'll Steal Anything. :wink: I've had them request my combination for my gun case on a couple of occasions. I refused to have them open my gun case without me present. I explained that it was for their protection as well as mine, as the way I understood the regulations that I was to be the only one who had the key/combination to my gun case. The lady at OGG (Maui) gave me a hard time and ended up calling her supervisor. The guy agreed with me and said that "what's easier for the TSA agents" isn't always "what's right". He instructed her to retrieve my gun case and bring it back to the screening point and have me open the locks.

Another case was when I was flying out of LAX. My gun case went through and the TSA agent told me that I could proceed through security and to my gate for departure. I heard my name over the PA system and was told to return to the TSA screening checkpoint. I was then instructed to go out to the baggage area where I checked in my luggage to open my gun case. When I got there, the TSA agent asked me for my gun case combination. I refused to give it to him, and he said something like "You're only making it hard on yourself". I asked if he was threatening me, at which point he smiled and I requested a supervisor. The supervisor arrived and I explained the situation. He had a conversation with the TSA agent, then came back to me and apologized for the TSA agent's behavior. The TSA supervisor noticed my IALEFI logo polo shirt and asked if I was "Law enforcement". I told him "no, I'm not law enforcement, but I do train law enforcement officers." He smiled and pointed to the TSA agent and said "don't tell him that." I got the hint and thanked him for straightening everything out. The initial TSA agent allowed me to lock up my gun case, and I was off to catch my flight.

Too bad you had a bad experience in IN "netentity". It's a shame when these people abuse what little "authority" they have.

gf

Too bad you had a bad experience in IN "netentity". It's a shame when these people abuse what little "authority" they have.
I don't believe the screener was abusing their power, I believe they were doing as they were told to do and was careless. It may be TSA upper management at IND that caused the issue. What I don't understand is why they just can't just take the locked firearm case out, xray that alone. If it turns out ok then not worry about it then go through the rest of your luggage. My .30 cal ammo can with my ammo almost always gets flagged by the xray machine so that does not bother me. I pack it in the ammo can for obvious safety reasons.

Can anyone please give me some names/brands of Cases that YOU use OR acceptable? I beleive you need a Two lock system in which case I cannot use my ANVIL Case because it has only One key lock, the other case I have posted on here in photo is also a One key lock. I'm looking on the internet and there are alot of them but when I read reviews on them they are pretty much junk OR I have to take out a loan! Must also be able to fit in My suitcase. Any idea's folks?????

You are Good To Go!

Can anyone please give me some names/brands of Cases that YOU use OR acceptable? I beleive you need a Two lock system in which case I cannot use my ANVIL Case because it has only One key lock, the other case I have posted on here in photo is also a One key lock. I'm looking on the internet and there are alot of them but when I read reviews on them they are pretty much junk OR I have to take out a loan! Must also be able to fit in My suitcase. Any idea's folks?????

You only need 2 locks if YOU want them. Only 1 is required. Your case should be great.
I travel with my handgun in a cheap cash lock box from wally world (Non-TSA lock). That is then inside my bright orange samsonite luggage which has TSA locks(since TSA busted the original locks in Charlotte).
Never put your luggage on the belt before it is inspected by TSA in your presence (hence the busted locks) no matter what the counter agent says.:crazy_pilot:

Thnx Jes, I'll probably just use then the one I have posted on here earlier in the thread which will fit in my suitcase.

I use a Pelican case to transport my handguns. It's checked in as a single piece of luggage. My rifles are checked in using an aluminum rifle case. There's 4 latches on it, hence I carry 3 locks in the case in the event that TSA tells me that all 4 latches need to be locked. Otherwise, there's a stainless steel rod that goes through all 4 latches and is secured using a hasp and a single padlock. Lot's of folks like to place their gun case into another piece of luggage. In my past experience, I've always had problems when doing this. I've experienced delays and even misdirected luggage on one occasion. Hence why I check firearms in seperate from my other luggage.

gf

I use a Pelican case to transport my handguns. It's checked in as a single piece of luggage. My rifles are checked in using an aluminum rifle case. There's 4 latches on it, hence I carry 3 locks in the case in the event that TSA tells me that all 4 latches need to be locked. Otherwise, there's a stainless steel rod that goes through all 4 latches and is secured using a hasp and a single padlock. Lot's of folks like to place their gun case into another piece of luggage. In my past experience, I've always had problems when doing this. I've experienced delays and even misdirected luggage on one occasion. Hence why I check firearms in seperate from my other luggage.

gf
I think I am just going to bring One weapon in My vehicle case like the one I have posted on here and in the other case I am going to bring 100-150 rounds (whatever I can fit in it). Each Case will be in separate suitcases. That should be it.
I'll purchase more ammo in Daytona and spend at least one morning for a couple of hours at the Daytona Range. There is one near the Speedway (I looked it up). I have coverage if the weapons are stolen or lost whether on me or not at the airport or even a rental car or anywhere. From the info I have read for both the airport/s and airline/s they are quite the same, if not, then very close AND from what I have gathered here.
Thnx. for ALL the help. I hope I wasn't a pain in the ass. I just needed some guidance.

What I Use

Look at these -

Link Removed

See the Pistol Pack™ Series at the bottom

I use the 10.5 inch one for a single sub-compact.

See my instructions earlier in this thread for the details on just how to do it.

As to ammo, I -

- carry enough rounds to have ready in a separate, plastic reloading box that I store under the case.
- magazines in separate container(s); I use screw/bolt holders from Home Depot to protect the mags, after putting them inside Leatherman tool carriers.

Last edited:
I have those SAME cases that came with my guns. I didn't think those types of cases would be acceptable, being that even though they would be locked you can still pry up between the two covers. Hmmm, gives me an idea now......maybe I'll still use the car safe for the gun and one of those cases for my ammo. I still got time before trip. I think (of course I will) I'll try differnet cases to see which will do the best for me. Glock Fan, You mentioned a Rifle case. Obviousley that would not fit in a suitcase. I want to put My things inside a suitcase (I do not see much more weight in this dept.) because it'll be less baggage to carry...don't forget, I got two Rugrats and the Wife, so the less to carry the better! I can already see My Son crabbing that He has to carry His own bag :rolleyes:, and the other little one (7 yrs old).....forget about carrying anything except Her little Hanna Montanna case with wheels!! Once I get setup I'll take a few photo's.
thnx.!
Look at these -

Link Removed

See the Pistol Pack™ Series at the bottom

I use the 10.5 inch one for a single sub-compact.

See my instructions earlier in this thread for the details on just how to do it.

As to ammo, I -

- carry enough rounds to have ready in a separate, plastic reloading box that I store under the case.
- magazines in separate container(s); I use screw/bolt holders from Home Depot to protect the mags, after putting them inside Leatherman tool carriers.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back