New Concealed Carry

Calait

The wife is now expressing the want to learn about conceal carry and handguns. Her main fear is her weak wrist, any ideas?
My thought is glock 9, for my personal gun I am considering a larger caliber.
Thanks before hand

Welcome to this forum. A lot of information you seek can be found in the sub-forum Link Removed, as well as, at Cornered Cat.

Your post does not provide much context. Has she ever shot a handgun before? What is her experience with firearms in general? Where does that weak wrist fear come from? (Is there an actual physical condition?)

My recommendation, find a local range that rents guns and that has a handgun safety class for women, may be even a shooters club for women. There are many variables in play when it comes to handguns for concealed carry, none of which matter if she doesn't learn the basics of safely operating a firearm. A good instructor will help overcoming initial fears and will train her the correct technique. A 22lr revolver and/or a 22lr semi-auto handgun are good tools for initial training. A few trips to the range and renting different handguns will also help narrowing down the decision on the carry gun. Experience comes with training and practice! Wandering through a gun store and picking a gun based on a store clerk's recommendation is a good way to waste money.

Handgun type, caliber/cartridge, size, capacity and other factors are often more about personal preference that anything else. The most important factors are: (1) will she carry this handgun and (2) is she able to defend herself using this handgun? A handgun sitting in the safe at home because it's "too big and/or too heavy" to carry doesn't do any good, neither does a handgun that she won't train with because it's "too painful to shoot".

Lastly, there is obviously the legal part of concealed carry, including acquiring a permit if needed. The most important aspects of this are: understanding the law and having the right mindset. The legal use of a firearm for self defense is limited, as it is a lethal weapon. Nonlethal means of self defense are still needed, including running away from a threat.

PS: I was at the range and at several gun stores today. At the range, a male was shooting a .44 Magnum using the "tea cup" method. Needless to say, this would be a one-shot (one-miss) scenario against a bear in the woods. Another one was teaching his wife the Mozambique drill (2 in the chest and one in the head). This was her first trip to a range and the first time handling a firearm. I constantly heard "Ouch, this hurts!" (from the recoil), "Is the safety on?", and "Is it loaded?". The gun store clerks again did their best today to sell firearms and accessories to clueless customers. One did actually buy the Gander Mountain warranty on a new firearm.

For an actual weak wrist, such as due to age or a medical condition, a revolver is likely the best option as a semi-auto handgun can malfunction when limp wristing. The negative side of a revolver is the often heavy double-action trigger pull. Also, a heavier handgun absorbs more recoil (Handgun Recoil Table). This may help: Handguns for Handicapped and Very Recoil Sensitive Shooters. Again, try before you buy. Also, an actual handgun class will teach her the right technique.

I second the revolver as a good choice,if she has a weak wrist she will never be able to rack a semi auto handgun.
I went through this with my wife,trust me get the revolver and get good after market grips on it.

As an "elderly" female shooter, I would like to put my 2 cents in on this discussion. Revolvers are great. Easier to handle, less recoil. However, due to their design, than can imprint more. Ruger makes several that are really good for smaller people, both women and men. Personally, I prefer semi-auto. Yes, it takes a little work to rack the slide. I find that holding the slide with my weak hand and pushing with my strong hand works great for me. I shoot most anything out there. Some took a little longer to learn how to shoot well. I have a Sig 1911 in .45 which is mostly for home defense (and target shooting when ammo is reasonable) and a Springfield XD subcompact in 9 mm. This one is pretty snappy, but after lots of practice, I really love it. However it is a little heavy for carry. My favorite is my Sig P238 in .380. Small easily concealed in purse or pocket, hardly any recoil. Only drawback is the 6 round magazine. It, also, took a little practice to get accurate because of the extremely small size.

As far as your wife's weak wrist, 2 handed shooting is probably the best for her no matter what she buys. She should try many guns before she buys. And, don't just shoot one magazine and consider it done. The more rounds she shoots in any gun, the easier it gets and the more comfortable. I wish her well, and many years of fun shooting.

Revolver. I bought everyone a Glock 27. My wife hates it, my daughter loves hers. Go to a range, go to a gun shop with a certified NRA instructor and ask for info. My wife loves her Smiths. We are in our 60's and she shoots a for inch model 28 N frame that was my mothers. She likes this much better than the J frame five shot. 125 grain .38 and great groups. But, we are right wing extremists and we practice a lot. What ever you choose please post photos of the targets for us. Another thing I insist for my friend and family who take up a dreaded gun of the hand is 150 rounds of practice. Works pretty good for me and mine.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back