Shooting Methods

BonesM

I've been looking at a lot of various shooting methods in regards to self defense and defense of a third party lately and have noticed a peculiar method of sighting and firing. Holding the pistol at a slight can't towards the off hand side of the body, with the pistol tucked closer to the body/face, obviously far enough away as to not be hit with the slide. After observing this, I gave it a go. It seems, at least in personal experimentation, that this method allows faster target acquisition and a more natural sight picture/target focus. Any thoughts as to downsides of this? And if this is a universally efficient method, why is it not taught more in training classes in the industry?

We Stand Alone Together

I've been looking at a lot of various shooting methods in regards to self defense and defense of a third party lately and have noticed a peculiar method of sighting and firing. Holding the pistol at a slight can't towards the off hand side of the body, with the pistol tucked closer to the body/face, obviously far enough away as to not be hit with the slide. After observing this, I gave it a go. It seems, at least in personal experimentation, that this method allows faster target acquisition and a more natural sight picture/target focus. Any thoughts as to downsides of this? And if this is a universally efficient method, why is it not taught more in training classes in the industry?

We Stand Alone Together

High ready? Allows for point shooting as you press out to full extension and sight picture. Training and tactics evolve.

I would not put the firearm directly in front of my face in high ready, it stays at chest level. As for cant, my high ready is slightly canted due to my body mechanics, some will be more or less.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

I was actually doing some more reading yesterday and came across Center Axis Relock. I think that's what I've been trying to describe, it's just very foreign compared to the way I've always shot. Have any experience with this method? It seems to be all about speed and consistency, mainly in the context of follow up shots in close quarters.

We Stand Alone Together

I was actually doing some more reading yesterday and came across Center Axis Relock. I think that's what I've been trying to describe, it's just very foreign compared to the way I've always shot. Have any experience with this method? It seems to be all about speed and consistency, mainly in the context of follow up shots in close quarters.

We Stand Alone Together

I think the more we complicate shooting with fancy grips specific positions stylistic techniques and the like we make shooting more difficult than it has to be and thus more prone to error. In the heat of the battle we're going to go to our instincts and the science of shooting tells us that our instincts are going to be wide semi crouched stance arms pushing that gun straight out hold it with two hands and just start squeezing off rounds and we are not going to get into an isosceles or not going to do a central axis blah blah blah. there are fundamental human movements that we do when we're scared and under stress that will happen naturally and that's the natural way to shoot and that's the natural way to practice for defensive type shooting. Just my two cents. When in doubt practice.

Sent from my XT1254 using USA Carry mobile app

Center Axis Relock is the shooting platform you are describing. I was initially exposed to the system back in 2000 as an LEO. It is a very stable shooting platform, especially when shooting on the move, which I would suggest doing in a defensive situation. It is also quite useful, and easily adapted to, when shooting from your reaction/support side. As with most things, this is but another tool for the toolbox. The system is hard to surpass as a CQB tactic, but if you're a good distance away and have the time to acquire your perfect sight alignment/sight picture do so. There are numerous other benefits to the system that you probably won't get full info on, in the various sites. If you get the chance I would recommend attending a class. I recently completed the range/classroom portion of the instructor course and intend to pursue full instructor status just to give you an idea of my thoughts on the system. With this being my first post I'll reserve my thoughts on some other comments made on this post. Train hard and often.

In the very last part of the 1970's and early 80's Tea Cup stance was all the rage and taught for the old shoot n iron of Smiths and two speedloaders.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back