Non-Resident Waiting Time

tomcat017

Just an update for anyone who may be waiting:

I mailed my application on Sept. 29
Check cleared around the middle of October, I believe.
Received the permit in the mail on Dec. 24

A bit over the 60 days, but...not horrible.

So, like Florida, you can apply for a Maine permit through the mail without ever setting foot in the state? Is that correct? What does Maine accept for training/competency requirements?

So, like Florida, you can apply for a Maine permit through the mail without ever setting foot in the state? Is that correct? What does Maine accept for training/competency requirements?

I do not know about FL., but YES, Maine you can apply throught the mail. I beleive on page 7(F) of the application it says....By Affixing Your Signature Below As The Applicant You: "Certify that you understand that you must demonstrate to this issuing authority a knowledge of handgun safety as required by Title 25 M.R.S.A./2003 (1) (E) (5), unless you demonstrate that you are exempted under the same statute".

I do not know about FL., but YES, Maine you can apply throught the mail. I beleive on page 7(F) of the application it says....By Affixing Your Signature Below As The Applicant You: "Certify that you understand that you must demonstrate to this issuing authority a knowledge of handgun safety as required by Title 25 M.R.S.A./2003 (1) (E) (5), unless you demonstrate that you are exempted under the same statute".

I did not know that. I thought that Florida and Utah were the only states whose permits a nonresident could get without stepping foot into the state.

You can download the appl. OR call for one which is what I did. Got appl. within a week and have been hanging onto it all summer. I was out of work due to Back injury, so it was not on my priority list. Finally just sent it in with my $60.!

Well, I mailed my application out last Saturday and it came back this past Friday! Only problem, I forgot to get a signature from a "witness" :rolleyes:. Yes, ME. sent it back but did not keep my check and basically stick it to me. I had a witness sign it and I also sent ME. back the .76 cents postage (in stamps) for them sending it to me. So I guess the $2.28 extra on postage was better than them keeping my $60.00?! Thnk you ME.

Well, I mailed my application out last Saturday and it came back this past Friday! Only problem, I forgot to get a signature from a "witness" :rolleyes:. Yes, ME. sent it back but did not keep my check and basically stick it to me. I had a witness sign it and I also sent ME. back the .76 cents postage (in stamps) for them sending it to me. So I guess the $2.28 extra on postage was better than them keeping my $60.00?! Thnk you ME.

Now that's customer service for you. Let's hope that they're just as good in getting your permit to you in a timely manner.

I know in MA. from what They say, is if You leave something out, They will send the application back to You and keep the $100.00! With ME. who I never dealth with actually sent my entire package back to me. For them to take the time and send it back to me I saw no problem with reinbursing them. I wonder if They could have just kept my $ and sent my application back? Maybe because it was just a single line item that was missing, there was no cause to reject it? Anyway, I'm not going to call and ask!

3:25 p.m. at 25 degree's out right now here in Sandown, NH / sunny / with about 8-10" of snow that fell on us last night

Now that's customer service for you. Let's hope that they're just as good in getting your permit to you in a timely manner.

Mailed application out Jan.3, came back to me the following week for a line item I missed, corrected it and sent it right back in the mail. Here it is March 12 and I'm still waiting.................
I got the feeling it should be here this week/weekend (crosses his fingers).

Mailed application Jan.3 and just got in todays mail March 21. It is new style which is small like a credit card on the same type material which fits nice in the wallet. Non-Res., good for 4 years.

Where on the application for a non-res does it call for a "witness"? I've looked through it several times and found nothing.

Also, on the questions that pertain to prior ones if you answered "yes", do you just not circle anything? I'm not interested in sending this app back several times. I did not answer yes to anything.

Mailed mine on the 10th of July, cheque was cashed the 23rd of July. I'm guessing I have another month.

Where on the application for a non-res does it call for a "witness"? I've looked through it several times and found nothing.

Also, on the questions that pertain to prior ones if you answered "yes", do you just not circle anything? I'm not interested in sending this app back several times. I did not answer yes to anything.

I know this is older...but i dont see it either

Link Removed

and regarding the training:

(5) Demonstrates to the issuing authority a knowledge of handgun safety.
The applicant may fully satisfy this requirement by submitting to the issuing
authority, through documentation in accordance with this subparagraph, proof
that the applicant has within 5 years prior to the date of application completed a
course that included handgun safety offered by or under the supervision of a
federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement agency or a firearms
instructor certified by a private firearms association recognized as
knowledgeable in matters of firearms safety by the issuing authority or by the
state in which the course was taken. A course completion certificate or other
document, or a photocopy, is sufficient if it recites or otherwise demonstrates that
the course meets all of the requirements of this subparagraph.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back