Expensive: Firearm Background Checks

gdcleanfun

Banned
When I was in the Army the federal government trusted me enough to give me the necessary clearance to do my job. Now, the Fed's and Nye County and Nevada trust me enough to allow me a CCW. I paid good money for it. Still, each and every time I purchase a new firearm I have to pay again for a background check. What's the reasoning behind that? Strictly money, imho. We must pay if we want to play, but this is ridiculous!

The way it was explained to me: Not so much a trust issue as how current is the info involved in the CCW check vs. the NICS check. Your CCW (or equivalent) may be more than several years old, during which time you _may_ have had it revoked, or committed some offense which, by itself, might not revoke it, but would prevent you from aquiring another weapon. The NICS is up to date to a much more recent standard.

While in the military I had to have a periodic background check done to maintain my security clearance. The same goes for CCW permits. The main reason is to maintain current records and check for arrests between permits. It can be a pain but I support a shall issue system with background checks.

Ronwill,
If the CWL were lifetime issue like Indiana, I would understand and even agree with NICS checks for gun purchases. However, in states like Florida, what the government is saying to me is, "We know you will get a background check every 3-7 years (depending on the state) (like we had for security clearances), but we don't trust you on the days in between, so you gotta do the NICS check." Either I can be trusted with the room full of guns I already own and can carry, or I can't. Another purchase isn't going to change that.

In North Carolina you no longer need the background check or pistol purchase permit when you have a concealed carry permit.

Ronwill,
If the CWL were lifetime issue like Indiana, I would understand and even agree with NICS checks for gun purchases. However, in states like Florida, what the government is saying to me is, "We know you will get a background check every 3-7 years (depending on the state) (like we had for security clearances), but we don't trust you on the days in between, so you gotta do the NICS check." Either I can be trusted with the room full of guns I already own and can carry, or I can't. Another purchase isn't going to change that.

Wolfhunter maybe I misunderstood because I fully agree that the background checks done for a CCW permit should be sufficient for the NICS also. There should be no requirement for a redundant check. That's the way it is here in Georgia. Having a Georgia Firearms License means no NICS check for firearms purchases.

You can thank the boys in blue for being greedy. The Nevada Sheriff's and Chief's Association wanted to increase fees in the same bill that would have made BATFE happy.
Link Removed
AB 21 went down in defeat to the chagrin of the Sheriff’s lobby. Why was it defeated? The NSCA wanted to raise CFP fees by over 100% for new permits and increase renewal fees from $15 to $125!! The Judiciary Committee couldn’t be shown by the NSCA that this was necessary and it lost.

The way it was explained to me: Not so much a trust issue as how current is the info involved in the CCW check vs. the NICS check. Your CCW (or equivalent) may be more than several years old, during which time you _may_ have had it revoked, or committed some offense which, by itself, might not revoke it, but would prevent you from aquiring another weapon. The NICS is up to date to a much more recent standard.

I disagree. If keeping records current was the issue then the NICS would be mandated for renewal every year or even every few months, just so that "they" can keep on top of things. It's not. It's every 5 years. If I never purchased another firearm it would still be every 5 years. Having to pass a background check every time I want another toy makes no sense. It's not required in all states. Requiring this is equivalent to having to renew my drivers license every time I want to purchase another vehicle. How many people would go along with it if that was the law? As well, if I had no CCW then I could see where a background check would be required each and every time. But if I did something wrong then my CCW would be revoked, so there goes the argument of keeping things current.

Last edited:
We had it where our CCW permit would work, but the Nevada Sheriff's and Chief's Association lost it for us. I've spent like $150 on background checks since we had to start paying each time.

In Florida, your carry permit is also your background check. That's why you're finger-printed, have your picture taken and have to pay $117 to the state, and wait for approx. 90 days. Once you get that permit, you can walk into any gun shop and buy a hand gun with no 3-day waiting period.

Last edited:
In Florida, your carry permit is also your background check. That's why you're finger-printed, have your pisture taken and have to pay $117 to the state, and wait for approx. 90 days. Once you get that permit, you can walk into any gun shop and buy a hand gun with no 3-day waiting period.

Sorry, dude. background check still applies. When you buy a gun, the FFL MUST call in for a background check in Florida. Unless the response is negative, a CWL holder can walk out with their new toy AFTER the call, but the call still is required, just no waiting period.

Last edited:
Sorry, dude. background check still applies. When you buy a gun, the FFL MUST call in for a background check in Florida. Unless the response is negative, a CWL holder can walk out with their new toy AFTER the call, but the call still is required, just no waiting period.

That's the way it works in Nevada. The call is made, no waiting period, walk out with new toy. Still expensive for me because I want more toys. He (she) who dies with the most toys, wins!

GCF, maybe you can try negotiating for an "out the door" price. If you are a frequent, regular customer, they may work with you. A listed $500 gun plus tax plus background check here would be $535 total. If I ask my FFL for his best "out the door" price, it may be $500. Depends on his mark up on that item and how good his month has been.

That's not a background check, just a verification. What was being discussed here was a background check being run (with records being checked and a large fee) with every weapon purchase. That would be like paying that $117 and submitting prints and pic every time you bought a gun.

That call is just verifying you are who you say you are, checking your credentials. If you want to call that a background check, so be it.

That's not a background check, just a verification. What was being discussed here was a background check being run (with records being checked and a large fee) with every weapon purchase. That would be like paying that $117 and submitting prints and pic every time you bought a gun.

That call is just verifying you are who you say you are, checking your credentials. If you want to call that a background check, so be it.

If a FL background check comes back denied, you can't have your gun, whether you have a CWL or not. If Florida's permits were issued by a law enforcement agency, we would get NICS checked. Since our permits are issued through the Dept. of Agriculture, they aren't allowed to access NICS.

And who are the dealers calling for verification, and what kind of verification? The DMV? I don't believe so. As far as I know, each time the dealers make that call when I buy a "toy" they are calling the local FBI in Las Vegas, or where ever, for a quick Brady updated background check. Is that incorrect? Any dealers in the house to verify this?

BTW, I never said it was a large fee every time I bought a new toy. The fee here in Nevada is $25 for the Brady background check. Not a lot each time, but it's $25 every time. Every time. It sure adds up.

GCF, Florida background checks are called in to the Dept. of Agriculture. They maintain a sytem for conducting background checks, but because it is not a LE agency, they don't access NICS.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back