Florida to Louisiana

ephi287

Good day all,

I was a resident of Florida with a Florida resident concealed carry permit. I since moved to Louisiana and established residency there. Can I continue to use my FL concealed permit as now a "non resident" of Florida?

Thanks,

In general when you establish residency in a different state you have to apply for licensure there, and meet their licensing requirements, whether driver’s, professional, or concealed carry . Many states will give you training credit for that you had in the other state or in the military for CC. You must have documentation.

Based on the Concealed Care Sources on this site more states recognize a Louisiana conceal carry license than recognize a Florida license. Florida recognizes a Louisiana concealed license.
Here is the general information link for here.
Louisiana Concealed Carry Permit Information

The Louisiana State Police issues the license.
Louisiana State Police - Concealed Handgun Permit Unit

It looks like you will have to have to be finger printed and go through a background and pass a proficiency test. They have to verify your identity. IDs can be faked.

and what if a person has never been fingerprinted before?

That is going to be up to the issuing agency, in this case Louisiana. I was fingerprinted as part of background checks at several commands over 25+ years. I had fingerprints done for Illinois CC, but they still wanted another set when I applied to volunteer at a local school. When I applied for Florida non-resident CC, I had to have another set done by my local police department which I had to mail to Florida. I think is to be sure of person's identity. Facial features change. Hair changes. Weight changes; although I am only 5 pounds above what I was when I first raised my right hand at GLakes in 1965. The face and hair did not do as well.

Last edited:
That is going to be up to the issuing agency, in this case Louisiana. I was fingerprinted as part of background checks at several commands over 25+ years. I had fingerprints done for Illinois CC, but they still wanted another set when I applied to volunteer at a local school. When I applied for Florida non-resident CC, I had to have another set done by my local police department which I had to mail to Florida. I think is to be sure of person's identity. Facial features change. Hair changes. Weight changes; although I am only 5 pounds above what I was when I first raised my right hand at GLakes in 1965. The face and hair did not do as well.

The deal is with having to get prints when you need them for another organization or company or whatever is the privacy laws. The prints and other info cannot be shared.

According to this US Concealed Carry Map if you hold a Florida resident permit you are legal in these states:

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

not quite right!

it should read if you are a FLA RESIDENT with a FLA permit then you are legal in the states listed. AFAIK SC and PA are two places that do not honor people's out of state permits. for example a resident of NY who has a FLA permit CANNOT carry concealed in those states. In addition many states, like LA require residents to obtain a local permit once they've established residency in the particular state.

ephi287 didn't ask if he could use his FL permit in Louisiana.....read it again kids

OK. He can use his now non-resident Florida permit in any state that recognizes a non-resident Florida permit - which Louisiana does NOT for the OP since he became a resident of Louisiana. How's that?

get a LA permit

However, Louisiana state law invalidates all other permits/licenses when a person becomes a Louisiana resident.

Using your FL as a non-resident for travel deletes CO, MI, PA, SC, and NH from your reciprocity list. As a LA permit holder you keep everything you had with your FL as a resident and add WA, ME, MN, and WI.

Sorry LCDR, not even close: he said:
Good day all,

I was a resident of Florida with a Florida resident concealed carry permit. I since moved to Louisiana and established residency there. Can I continue to use my FL concealed permit as now a "non resident" of Florida?

He's asking this: Since I am no longer a resident of FL, when I return to FL to visit, can I still use my resident FL permit as a Non Resident permit IN Florida, or do I have to get another FL permit that clearly identifies me as a non resident of FL when I'm in Florida ?

I didn't say "Read it again" to be a jerk.....I said it because everybody assumed his question had something to do with Louisiana. That was just a statement of fact. He didn't ask about reciprocity either.....

Sorry LCDR, not even close: he said:
Good day all,

He's asking this: Since I am no longer a resident of FL, when I return to FL to visit, can I still use my resident FL permit as a Non Resident permit IN Florida, or do I have to get another FL permit that clearly identifies me as a non resident of FL when I'm in Florida ?

I didn't say "Read it again" to be a jerk.....I said it because everybody assumed his question had something to do with Louisiana. That was just a statement of fact. He didn't ask about reciprocity either.....

First, why don't you answer his question as you interpret it to be then?

Second, regardless, my answer in post #11 is still correct....

OK. He can use his now non-resident Florida permit in any state that recognizes a non-resident Florida permit - which Louisiana does NOT for the OP since he became a resident of Louisiana. How's that?

Florida recognizes non-resident Florida permits, so, just as I stated, he can use his now non-resident Florida permit in Florida.

Florida's license will change to a Non Resident when you give Dept. Of Agriculture your new LA address.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Florida's license will change to a Non Resident when you give Dept. Of Agriculture your new LA address.

That is probably true, but as Louisiana will require him to get a Louisiana CC license since is now a resident of Louisiana. Florida will honor his Louisiana CC license. As several of us have pointed out, all the states that honor Florida honor Louisiana. Plus additional states honor Louisiana that do not honor Florida. There is no harm in having both licenses, but it is redundant. It is possible that in the future one of those states might drop recognition of Louisiana, but retain recognition of Florida.

NavyLCDR: to answer your first question, I didn't answer his question simply because I don't know the answer for sure. I could guess.....my guess would be that since he no longer resides in FL, his FL permit becomes worthless in FL, and he would need to apply for a FL non resident permit. I don't believe that his FL resident permit magically becomes a FL non-resident permit.....mainly because it would still say "Resident", and show an address in FL that he no longer lives at. My basis for that OPINION is common sense.....I'm not a lawyer or a 50 state concealed carry expert. I do know California law.....that's where my license to carry was issued.

Second, I never said your answer in post #11 was incorrect. I never said that anyone posted incorrect information. What I said was that nobody answered what was asked. Everyone jumped to the conclusion that he wanted to use is FL permit in Louisiana.

My apologies to anyone who was offended by my original suggestion to "read it again, kids"......
Best regards to you and all the others who have posted.

NavyLCDR: to answer your first question, I didn't answer his question simply because I don't know the answer for sure. I could guess.....my guess would be that since he no longer resides in FL, his FL permit becomes worthless in FL, and he would need to apply for a FL non resident permit. I don't believe that his FL resident permit magically becomes a FL non-resident permit.....mainly because it would still say "Resident", and show an address in FL that he no longer lives at. My basis for that OPINION is common sense.....I'm not a lawyer or a 50 state concealed carry expert. I do know California law.....that's where my license to carry was issued.

Second, I never said your answer in post #11 was incorrect. I never said that anyone posted incorrect information. What I said was that nobody answered what was asked. Everyone jumped to the conclusion that he wanted to use is FL permit in Louisiana.

My apologies to anyone who was offended by my original suggestion to "read it again, kids"......
Best regards to you and all the others who have posted.
Florida's CWL do not have an address on them and do not state resident or non-resident. You would have to contact the Dept. Of Agriculture to give them your new address. It now becomes a non-resident CWL. It will still be good in the same states expect those that require the holder to reside in FL.

Florida's CWL do not have an address on them and do not state resident or non-resident. You would have to contact the Dept. Of Agriculture to give them your new address. It now becomes a non-resident CWL. It will still be good in the same states expect those that require the holder to reside in FL.

Exactly. Anybody else notice the OP has never even come back to this forum?

Good day all,

Thanks,

Let's go back to the op and answer his question, not knowing if he means in LA or FL. Yes and no. Yes you can use it when traveling back to FL. No you can not use it in LA as they require their residents to acquire their permits. Lets take this a little further. Yes you can use it in states like AL and GA as they have no restrictions on non resident permits. No you cannot use it in SC or MI as they require FL residency. If the OP is going to stay in LA, he may not want to renew the FL permit when it expires as some have stated that the reciprocity is similar to LA. Hopefully this answers his question.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back