Faculty/staff carry on campus

Matthew

I've done a bit of searching and poking around but can't find any information on this topic: For Washington State University, the only RCW or WAC item I can find barring firearms is under the student code of conduct. This doesn't apply to WSU employees not taking classes as far as I understand it.

The University of Washington has wording regarding non-students such as faculty and staff.

Any thoughts or who to talk to about this?

I could be wrong, but I'm gonna take a shot in the dark on this one. While university policy might not allow "carrying" on campus, I would think that professors are allowed to keep a gun in their offices, and that they're probably covered under the state's guns in the workplace law. In just about every state, even the people's republics, you're allowed to keep a gun in your place of business without a permit, and for professors, this would be their office.

Could it be argued that an instructor's work place is also in the classroom? Wouldn't that be an "oxymoron" of sorts because in the classroom are also the students?

I copied your post to another forum that is administered by a Washington resident who is pretty much "Up" on Washington gun laws. I'll post an answer as soon as I get one. Hopefully it won't be too long.

John
Packing 4 Life Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thanks, I found your post and the replies on the other forum. It appears Big Dave transposed the UW and WSU WAC sections: the UW forbids any firearms unless it's authorized university personnel but WSU only has a section limiting it on students.

Unless, of course, universities fall under primary or secondary schools for where not to carry, but I don't think they do.

Could it be argued that an instructor's work place is also in the classroom? Wouldn't that be an "oxymoron" of sorts because in the classroom are also the students?

Maybe in an elementary or secondary school, but not at a university. At the university level, professors don't have their "own" classrooms, so their place of business would likely be limited to their offices.

Thanks, I found your post and the replies on the other forum. It appears Big Dave transposed the UW and WSU WAC sections: the UW forbids any firearms unless it's authorized university personnel but WSU only has a section limiting it on students.

Unless, of course, universities fall under primary or secondary schools for where not to carry, but I don't think they do.

I don't think I would want to be the test case. Could get pretty expensive:unsure:

Here's a link to at least some answer as best we see it:confused:

Law question - Packing 4 Life Forums

I don't think I would want to be the test case. Could get pretty expensive:unsure:

Here's a link to at least some answer as best we see it:confused:

Law question - Packing 4 Life Forums

I appreciate the help!

As I stated earlier, it looks like Big Dave swapped the WACs for UW and WSU. The pertinent WSU section of the WAC only refers to students and is, as far as I can tell, only referred to under Student Code of Conduct.

WAC 504-26-213: Firearms and dangerous weapons.

WAC 504-26-213 Agency filings affecting this section
Firearms and dangerous weapons.

No student may carry, possess, or use any firearm, explosive (including fireworks), dangerous chemical, or any dangerous weapon on university property or in university-approved housing. Airsoft guns and other items that shoot projectiles are not permitted in university-approved housing. Students wishing to maintain a firearm on campus for hunting or sporting activities must store the firearm with the Washington State University department of public safety.

So, still no sure answer one way or another for non-students at WSU.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back