I think I'm on to something.

tattedupboy

Thank God I'm alive!
Over the years I've read stories about negligent discharges of holstered weapons, and on this forum and others we've concluded that it is virtually impossible for a weapon sitting in a holster to just discharge out of the blue. Lately, however, I have observed several people, primarily security guards (and a lady with whom I work), carrying their weapons in holsters that did not cover the trigger guard, leaving the trigger exposed. Isn't it conceivable that in the cases of "holstered" weapons discharging negligently, it was because the holster wasn't the right one for the weapon, and the person carrying probably leaned against something and caught the trigger on something?

It's certainly possible that an exposed trigger could catch on something, compress and discharge. however, that would be a poorly-chosen, not necessarily poorly-designed holster.

I worried about this a couple of times since I carry at about the 5:00, over-the-kidney position and had a little twinge every time I pulled something out of my right hip pocket, especially if I was sitting in a chair or automobile.

Over the years I've read stories about negligent discharges of holstered weapons, and on this forum and others we've concluded that it is virtually impossible for a weapon sitting in a holster to just discharge out of the blue. Lately, however, I have observed several people, primarily security guards (and a lady with whom I work), carrying their weapons in holsters that did not cover the trigger guard, leaving the trigger exposed. Isn't it conceivable that in the cases of "holstered" weapons discharging negligently, it was because the holster wasn't the right one for the weapon, and the person carrying probably leaned against something and caught the trigger on something?
A holster that doesn't cover the trigger guard seems as if it's asking for trouble. It would be relatively easy in a fight for an assailant to disengage the safety and pull the trigger while the weapon is still holstered.

Seems like most of the better designed holsters today do cover the trigger. Of course the best safety device is still between our ears. Proper training including keeping the finger out of the trigger guard until ready to shoot can not be stressed to much.

Seems like most of the better designed holsters today do cover the trigger. Of course the best safety device is still between our ears. Proper training including keeping the finger out of the trigger guard until ready to shoot can not be stressed to much.

You're right, but the key words here are "better designed." Most of the holsters I've seen that don't cover the trigger guard are the cheapo one size fits all nylon holsters, and a couple of leather ones.

I think I'm on to something

I totally agree with you, tatted. When I selected my holster, the first criteria was that thetrigger guard was covered. That eliminated a lot of the holsters I saw, most of the 'nylon bag' type. I do have to say that proper training is another part of the equation. A buddy of mine has a scar on his leg where he went to holster his Glock, and got a furrow burned down part of his leg, as he obviously had his finger in the trigger guard when he tried to holster. I have done a little training, and the way I was taught , assume the student knows nothing about the subject and start from square one. That, with firearms is safety, which includes not letting hte finger get anywhere near the trigger until you are actually going to fire. I have to commend Hollywood, as they are finally getting it right. More and more, actors are carrying weapons correctly, their fingers alongside the slide and not on the trigger. How many accounts have you seen of a cop who accidentally shoots a subject because his finger was on the trigger of a weapon in single action mode, and someone sneezed or mad a sudden move? Bless you, tatted and HK4U. Always think safety with weapons and that begins with the holster.

Don’t forget, even with a holster that does cover the trigger it is still possible.

A year or two ago there was a LEO who got the bottom cord of his jacket caught in the trigger guard as he holstered his Glock. All was fine until he got out of the car. As he was getting out he stretched and the cord pulled the trigger, firing the weapon.

What would have prevented this? The LEO being aware of what he was doing when holstering his weapon would have prevented this, that is why it was classified as a ND and not an AD.

I think it was Florida, but would not swear to it.

I learned early on that you NEVER use a holster that does not cover the trigger guard. It is also a good idea to have a holster that "locks" the pistol in, so you cannot be disarmed easily or lose the weapon during a scuffle.

And that's why I like my XD - no safety other than the grip AND trigger. If you are not hoilding the gun in a firing position, it ain't going off.

Don't go "cheapo" on a holster, and know your gun's safety mechanisms very well.

Don’t forget, even with a holster that does cover the trigger it is still possible.

A year or two ago there was a LEO who got the bottom cord of his jacket caught in the trigger guard as he holstered his Glock. All was fine until he got out of the car. As he was getting out he stretched and the cord pulled the trigger, firing the weapon.

What would have prevented this? The LEO being aware of what he was doing when holstering his weapon would have prevented this, that is why it was classified as a ND and not an AD.

I think it was Florida, but would not swear to it.

That has more to do with carelessness than with holster design. But, just like what I discussed earlier in the thread, the best way to prevent a negligent discharge is to not let anything come into contact with the trigger. Although a holster that completely covers the trigger guard goes a long way toward preventing that, so too does exercising extreme caution when handling firearms, and this story is a good example of that.

That has more to do with carelessness than with holster design.

You are absolutely right. That is why it was deemed to be a NEGLEGENT Discharge and not an ACCIDENTAL Discharge. The officer was negligent in the holstering of his firearm and that negligence was the direct cause of the incident.

My main point being (and i think we agree on this one) that we should not rely on our holster to protect us from our own negligence. Bad things can still happen if we are not paying attention to what we are doing regardless of what equipment we are using.

Last edited:
Don't forget the bad habit that some newbies pick up, fondling the sidearm. By constantly checking the gun, especially when the trigger guard is uncovered, the chances of a mishap drastically increase. A lot of this can be prevented by proper training.

Your right on that point. What makes me see red is the inpression at the end that guns can go off all by themselves:neo:

Exactly! When he says at the end of the video that the gun is jinxed, well, that's just the kind of stupid ideas that the anti's will pick up on and use to claim that guns can shoot all by themselves! Guns kill people after all, don't ya know?

Doesn't anyone here have a sense of humor? That was meant to be funny. I know I got a good laugh out of it!

I can't believe that anyone would worry about the perceptions that this parody might give off. I myself thought this was one funny - no, hilarious! - video, and it really poked fun at Plaxico and his dumb-assed shooting incident.

Anyone trying to use this clip to show how unsafe guns are would be laughed out of the room. :sarcastic:

The guy in the video PARODIED the anti- gunners at the end of the video. Isn't it obvious that NONE of the shots fired during this sequence were his fault? Clearly, the gun was evil and intent on bodily harm.

I, too, found the video funny.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back