1st Homocide of 09 Prediction

surfcc

I am going to go out on a limb and predict the first Homocide of 2009 will occur in a Liberal, Anti-Gun, East Coast City. My money is on Boston (Dorchester or Roxbury). They're always good for a few murders to ring in the New Year, committed by gun toting, criminal, gang bangers.

I hope you all have a safe New Year!

Surfcc

Believe it or not, murders occur in gun friendly places too. Have you seen murder rates in Detroit, Atlanta, or Jacksonville, Florida, lately?

09 Prediction

Believe it or not, murders occur in gun friendly places too. Have you seen murder rates in Detroit, Atlanta, or Jacksonville, Florida, lately?

The purpose of my post was to point to the irony in the fact that "most" liberal cities, (where gun rights are extremely restricted), have some of the most prolific gun crimes. I don't doubt for a minute that Detroit, Jacksonville, et al share the same demographics.....i.e. high concentration of criminals and hence gun crimes. The fact of the matter is, gun control is a complete farce. And by golly, wouldn't ya know that gun crimes committed by "criminals" who obtain their guns illegally, occur most often in inner city environs, where the citizenry's 2A rights are either restricted by law or they are coerced (by lib pols) into thinking that it is inanimate objects, (guns), that kill and not criminals that kill!

My $ is still on Boston, despite the weather, after 12AM.

Surfcc

Well, asuming that the clock still works and that the east coast is 3 hours ahead of the west coast, you may be correct in your assumption that something might happen there first. However, don't rule out the big cities on the west coast. One never knows what will happen there...

(I'm hoping that nothing happens on either end!)

The cities I named are all located in gun friendly states; not necessarily the cities themselves, but the states in which they are located.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, look at NYC. While its 521 murders through Dec 30 seem high, the murder rate is one of America's lowest among big cities. So, the stats work both ways; Draconian gun control measures don't raise or lower homicide rates, but neither does a lack of gun control.

"Gun control" has never been shown to reduce crime or violence. Crime and violence does tend to go down when more law abiding citizens are carrying concealed, confrontational crime in particular.

Looks like the 1st one was in NJ or maybe Ohio...but the time zone thing comes into play. If you google "1st homicide of 2009" you will see there were several in the early morning hours all over the USA.

Cleveland Ohio = 12:30 AM
Newark, NJ = 3:00 AM
Louiville, KY = 7:00 AM
Chicago, IL = 2:10 AM

Link Removed
2009 Murder: Cleveland Police Investigate First Murder Of New Year

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 09:56 AM EST

Updated: Jan 1, 2009 12:38 PM EST

Cleveland, OH - Police are investigating the first murder of 2009.

The deadly shooting happened around 12:30AM near the intersection of East 71st Street & Alice Avenue outside Malibu Joe's.

The victim is a 26-year-old man - identification is pending family notification.

The coroner says he was shot in the head.

No arrests at this time.

Cleveland gets the title

Looks like the 1st one was in NJ or maybe Ohio...but the time zone thing comes into play. If you google "1st homicide of 2009" you will see there were several in the early morning hours all over the USA.

Cleveland Ohio = 12:30 AM
Newark, NJ = 3:00 AM
Louiville, KY = 7:00 AM
Chicago, IL = 2:10 AM

Link Removed

I guess Cleveland gets the title for 2009. A few years ago Boston rang in the New Year with a quadrupple shooting in a Dorchester home.

"Gun control" has never been shown to reduce crime or violence. Crime and violence does tend to go down when more law abiding citizens are carrying concealed, confrontational crime in particular.

You're right; however, CCW by itself doesn't either. Look at the dramatic decrease in the murder and crime rate in NYC over the past decade and a half (with its draconian gun control measures) and look at the high rates of crime in Detroit, Philadelphia, and Atlanta, all of which are located in shall issue states.

You're right; however, CCW by itself doesn't either. Look at the dramatic decrease in the murder and crime rate in NYC over the past decade and a half (with its draconian gun control measures) and look at the high rates of crime in Detroit, Philadelphia, and Atlanta, all of which are located in shall issue states.

However when a law abiding citizen carrying a firearm pulls the trigger on a bad guy trying to do harm to him, his family or third party it greatly reduces the odds that criminal will ever commit another crime.:biggrin:

however, CCW by itself doesn't either.

Actually it does. Look at either of the John Lott books for the statistics. Certainly confrontational crime goes down in virtually every case. He compared before and after statistics.

Look at the dramatic decrease in the murder and crime rate in NYC

Funny how putting criminals in jail cuts crime. What happened in NYC from what I understand was a crackdown on "minor" crime (that had been largely ignored before) and that resulted in a reduction in "major" crime.

and look at the high rates of crime in Detroit, Philadelphia, and Atlanta, all of which are located in shall issue states.

As has been mentioned before neither Detroit nor Philadelphia are gun friendly. The only defining statistic that would mean much would be looking at numbers before "shall issue" and after "shall issue" not just the after numbers. Concealed Carry doesn't affect the number of criminals in an area but does seem to affect the kind of crime they engage in with confrontational crime going down.

Common Denominator

The common denominator in all major metropolitain areas is illegally obtained firearms, drugs, gangs, liberal politicians, city councilors, etc. and you have a toxic mix. Sure these things exist in rural areas....just more concentrated in cities due to demographics. Irregardless of whether a state is more or less strict on 2A rights, criminals don't obey laws, which is why you get more gun crime in the cities.

I think we're Link Removed.

Jacksonville's first homicide of 2009 happened at an apartment complex near the University of North Florida just after the new year was rung in.

Police responded at 1:18 a.m. to calls of shots fired at the Silver Springs apartment complex in the 3700 block of South St. Johns Bluff Road, according to Sgt. Derrick Lewis with the homicide unit of the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.

Lewis said police found 23-year-old Jeffery Raynal Brooks of the 10900 block of Lem Turner Road suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. Police said Brooks was taken to a hospital.

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back